Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

sunshine

http://shaunb.blogs.com/photos/produce/tomato2.jpg


What do you do with too many tomatoes? Sauce, canned, eat em'raw, whatever, are all my first choices but do you ever dry? I used to grow cherry tomatoes in my window box years ago and I would take strings of them and dry them right there in my window giving me sunshine all winter long. Blind as a Bat was faced with this very problem and she made me want to have the same problem - problem here is my problem came from the store.



Salted up and in the dehydrator they went.



Dried and into extra virgin olive oil they bathe. These tomatoes will sit here until about January when I will crave some sunshine.

12 comments:

buffalodick said...

Great idea for eating, or decoration- it looks cool...

ayamlin said...

Hi doggybloggy!
It must be incredible!!
I ate risotto with tomato sauce for dinner today:)
Tomato is very good.
it tastes good also it's good for skin:)

Anette said...

We just have to love tomatoes, whether they are fresh or dry, big or small!

CreativeMish said...

I've always used my dehydrator for Fruits and Jerky. I've never tried tomatoes! What great idea!

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: if you have vines of cherry tomatoes you can hang the whole vine and let them dry - very mediterranean.

ayamlin: oooh your risotto sounds os tasty...

anette: I thinks that should be true for all things....

michelle: they take on a richer stronger flavor and they are so good in a pasta salad.

Insane Mama said...

I love your new blog look. I sun drt my tomatoes.

Maggie said...

I love drying tomatoes! It so much easier to do compared with making sauce or canning them to put up. I've been nibbling on mine as a snack with tamari almonds.

Emily said...

You are full of good ideas! Those tomatoes will be amazing.

Gina said...

Thanks doggy....for the nice comments on my stories....

and you're right ...just about January...you'll need something to remember summer....

Christo Gonzales said...

insane: thanks and the same to you, your blog is a fun read. we dont get enough sun this time of year in NY, It would only be mold...

emiline: but you are so creative....its true

gina: the stories are so tear jerking and sweet - just like I want these tomatoes to be in January....

Angel said...

ok...why do yours look better than mine??!!! NO FAIR!! ;)

Harmony said...

I am not a big tomato fan...but these look great. I actually just tried tomatoes again last night..they were pretty good, but I couldn't eat too much. I hate to say that I have a very bland palate...but it is slowly evolving. I like to use dried tomatoes in stuffed chicken with basil, prosciutto and cheese (smoked)...with a white sauce on top.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin