Pages

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Sue-flay


I have been making soufflés for a good long while - I was even challenged by a chef, (I cant remember if my challenger even made one) and I have to flat out admit that I learned from watching Julia Child as a kid. I think I was 15 or so when I made my first soufflé and I had to do it during the day when my parents were at work (summertime) because my mom said it was too much trouble. I didnt use a recipe then and I still dont use one now - it was all from memory. I blame my parents that I am not some high faloootin chef, because growing up in my small town it was a job that didnt make sense and while I have had plenty of time to correct this error I am only now getting around to it since I have been busy filling my time with jobs that 'made sense.' Enough of the therapy talk lets get cooking!



Soufflés are as easy as beating egg whites - if you can do that then you have mastered the biggest part of the soufflé. The second biggest part is trying to photograph it before it collapses - which it will invariably do - other than that, its just another egg dish. Its the art of French cooking - if you cant cook an egg how can I trust you with my foi gras?

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20090723&Category=OPINION03&ArtNo=907230306&Ref=AR

This is Julia's recipe - I dont do it this way because I use individual ramekins otherwise its still the same you only have to prep and pour more...enough babble its the same method and recipe I could recite to you over tea.

SERVES 4 -6

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup milk, whole
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, unbleached
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 5 large egg whites
  • 1 cup gruyere cheese, packed coarsely (about 4 ounces)

Directions

  • Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees
  • Butter 6-cup (1-1/2 quart) souffle dish.
  • Add Parmesan cheese and tilt dish, coating bottom and sides.
  • Warm milk in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming.
  • Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
  • Add flour and whisk until mixture begins to foam and loses raw taste, about 3 minutes; do not allow mixture to brown).
  • Remove saucepan from heat; let stand 1 minute.
  • Pour in warm milk, whisking constantly until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Remove from heat; whisk in paprika, salt, and nutmeg.
  • Add egg yolks 1 at a time, whisking to blend after each addition.
  • Scrape souffle base into large bowl.
  • Cool to lukewarm. DO AHEAD; can be made 2 hours ahead.
  • Cover and let stand at room temperature.
  • Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
  • Fold 1/4 of whites into lukewarm or room temperature souffle base to lighten.
  • Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions while gradually sprinkling in Gruyere cheese.
  • Transfer batter to prepared dish.
  • Place dish in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
  • Bake until souffle is puffed and golden brown on top and center moves only slightly when dish is shaken gently, about 25 minutes (do not open oven door during first 20 minutes).
  • Serve immediately.



29 comments:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

gorgeous!

I've never even eaten a souffle, let alone attempted to make one.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Your souffles are beautiful!

Cate O'Malley said...

I've never made a souffle, but thinking I should be attempting it ... and the sooner the better

Diana H said...

I haven't tried a souffle, so this would be a start. What do you do differently?

theUngourmet said...

I've never attempted a Sue-flay. Looks scrumptious!

I love the way Julia just tosses that pan onto the floor! Ha! She's such a kick!

KennyT said...

Your souffle is absolutely gorgeous!

snugs said...

Oh good GAWD! I go missing from reading blogs for a few days only to return and find that my dear doggy is posting RECIPES???!!!!! That is just friggin AMAZING!

Seriously, if you were 1900 or so miles closer you would be my movie buddy this weekend, I can't wait to see her movie.

And really dead seriously if you were 1900 miles closer you would be doing the food for this wedding I'm planning! Hey..wait a minute.. does the traveling should be chef wanna come to Texas!!??

Creative Classroom Core said...

Would you believe that Ive never had a souffle before? Sad sad sad!

Gina said...

I was exhausted after the third bullet.....

Jenn said...

The only souffle I ever had was on my birthday when I had dinner at this really posh restaurant. It was chocolate too. I've always wanted to try making one, but I guess I've been a little intimidated by it.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Excellent! You've got an impressive "lift" in that souffle!

Karine said...

I have never made a souffle in my life but yours looks yummy!

Spin said...

Lets make a date and go see Julie and Julia!
I'm printing this recipe and may get brave and try it.

buffalodick said...

I've never made one, but I should try one of these days...

♥peachkins♥ said...

I've never had one..it looks pretty,though.

vanillasugarblog said...

yeah and make sure to butter those ramekins! I forgot one time and all that work was "poof" gone!
that movie Julia & julie comes out today, will you go see it?

Marjie said...

I bought a paperback cookbook of Julia's right after I was married, and made a souffle in the fall of that year...so I guess I was a slacker, waiting til I was 18, eh? Yours look great in the little ramekins!

Lauren said...

I've never actually done a souffle - will definitely have to try it, the berry one looks delicious!

Unknown said...

I've never made a "sue-flay" either...so how many of us does that make? I have the ramekins...so maybe its time.

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, your souffle turned out beautifully!

Tangled Noodle said...

I echo snugs reaction: am I in an alternate doggy-verse? I could swear I just saw a recipe . . .!

Really, though, thanks for this. Like so many others, souffles to me are one of 'those' dishes that are near-mythic in their reputation for elegance and difficulty. I'll have to give it a shot.

Reeni said...

I used to think an omelet had to have a filling. I didn't know that scrambled eggs by themselves were also considered an omelet(duh!). I guess it all comes down to the technique used. Both souffle's look so good - I'm especially in love with the blueberry one.

lisaiscooking said...

Your souffles look incredible! I've actually only ever made savory souffles. One of these days, I'll move on to chocolate.

Anonymous said...

I still have never tried a real souffle before. I need to invest in a souffle dish first, though.

giz said...

I just came back from seeing Julie and Julia and of course now I'm completely obsessed with all things Julia Child. What do I see when I meander over to CW??? Sigh...I can't even get her books - everybody's sold out - thanks for the souffle recipe - gotta have it.

pigpigscorner said...

Great looking souffles! Mine just went flat the last time I made some.

Heather S-G said...

LOL...I have to laugh at all the "recipe" comments, because I was thinking the same thing!! This looks awesome and I do love a good souffle!! I don't think I've made one since I was in culinary school, though...for shame!!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Omg the souffle are looking gorgeous and lovely. Wish to have that one ..

nora@ffr said...

these are soo pretty and awesome!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin