Pages

Sunday, August 02, 2009

couch cowboy


O
r 'eggs equilibrium' which one will it be? I pulled these two word combos out of that little word widget on my side bar - sometimes the pairings are hilarious and sometimes scary, it makes me think that these are my thoughts. Its time to cut the cheese I made way back in June but I dont have a special occasion or anyone to share it with so I will wait a few more days.



Friday we un free food fested with a nice variety of comestibles and yesterday (Saturday) we went to the beach on what was probably the first sunny nice day with no rain in I dont know how long because its pouring again today!



We always take egg salad sandwiches with us in the cooler, look at those perfect yolks - a little mayo a little dry mustard some salt and pepper and slap it on toast.



What does all this mean - it means grits thats what! Chocolatey and delicious grits - mmmmm. Just kidding, while chocolate grits might be ok I have to say I havent tried it - there was some kind of chocolate malt o meal (wheat) when I was a kid, and they still make it, but I didnt like it too much. If you google chocolate grits you get all kinds of things like chocolate grit ice cream, white chocolate grit cake to name a couple so I guess I am never really that far off. No, I am talking about good ol' cheese grits and how to do you kick up corn, with more corn, thats how. I added some sweet Jersey corn to these grits and before you say I wasted some good cob corn you need to keep in mind that once the corn is picked it is only truly sweet for a couple of days before the sugar starts turning to starch - thats why the corn always tasted better 'yesterday.'




Frog legs and grits, catfish and grits, shrimp and grits, eggs and grits, what'll it be?




Good old poached egg sundays and a heaping pile of grits.



The eggs were poached in a miso broth to give a more subltle and unique flavor that is a change from the regular vinegar water poach I usually do. The grits are great and I cant wait to have some with the catfish or some frog legs later on for early dinner.

34 comments:

Denise said...

Love the egg salad, that is the way I make mine, you have to have dry mustard. And the grits look so good with that egg oozing over them....yummy

Melody said...

I have never tried grits! My only reference to grits is that old sit com "Alice". Hope your day at the beach was enjoyable.

Jenn said...

I love egg salad sandwiches. i bring a couple of those when I go to the beach, too. Along with some other snacks. I've never tried grits either. I remember a friend of mine having it for brunch one time and I looked at her funny. But I've always wondered what the taste is like.

Debbie said...

My husband just loves grits. I had never even seen them until I moved down south....I will stick with the egg salad sandwich. Love that on pumpernickel bread!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I always love egg salad. We also bring egg salad sandwiches during long trips..

Selba said...

I need to find out more about grits, sounds interesting :)

Heather S-G said...

Your poached egg is perfection. And comestible is my new favorite word. Yes, I had to look it up...LOL...but now I'll be saying it often. Okay, off to look for some late-night comestibles...

Christo Gonzales said...

denise: we are the egg salad capital of around here - and dry mustard is the only way to go

melody: good day at the beach -

jenn: its just corn - grits is hominy corn

debbie: ooh yeah the pumpernickel and egg combo is a winner

peachkins: egg sandwiches always taste the best when you are away from home

selba: hominy corn - posole corn - helote - big white corn all ground up when its dry and then made into a porridge kind of thing

Christo Gonzales said...

girli: comestibles almost sounds like they will catch fire ....LOL

Donna-FFW said...

did you go to the nj shore? or LI beaches? Poured buckets here too. LOVE Jersey corn, your grits look fantastic. That sounds funny to me.

Anonymous said...

I love me some grits! Chocolatey grits...not so much xp
Poaching that egg in miso is a brilliant idea!

buffalodick said...

Malto meal, Maypo, Cream of Wheat, and grits are all short, but unpleasant memories of my youth! I gotta make tuna salad later today- with eggs in it, of course!

tavolini said...

oh yum--the grits and poached egg looks fantastic!! (I think I'll steer clear of the chocolate grit ice cream for now...)

Looks like fun!

lisaiscooking said...

I think I'd like one of each grits combinations, thank you. I also think I haven't consumed enough summer corn yet this year!

theUngourmet said...

Your eggs are poached to perfection! I would love to try the Miso broth. What a cool idea!

Fun day!

What about Avocado Hollandaise? ;0)

Anonymous said...

Not the standard things I'm used to with eggs...but they all look amazing!

Marjie said...

We just don't have much taste for grits hereabouts. But I think color makes any food taste better.

Pam said...

I love egg salad sandwiches - your yolks look so perfect! I can't believe I have still never tried grits before. I must change this soon.

Lainie said...

I looooove egg salad, and you made it look absolutely DIVINE!

Unknown said...

When I was a kid, my southern grandmother would try to get to me "like" grits. Now maybe if she had served them with a poached egg on top, she would've succeeded! Thats looks sooo yummy

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

Yeah to nice weather to go to the beach!

The summer weather in Chicago has been mostly low-mid 70's!!

I've never tried grits either, but have always wanted to! Yours look great!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I'm not a big grits fan, but I do like them and have found adding different ingredients to them makes them more pallettable {sp?} for me.

Yours look top shelf!

Hornsfan said...

Yummy yummy cheese grits...those look so tasty to me, it's inspiring, maybe a breakfast for dinner kind of night is on the horizon (one that involves grits)....

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I love grits as you probably know since I did a grits series recently. Yours look heavenly. I've never thought of serving with an egg on top. Can't wait for breakfast time to try it.
Sam

Reeni said...

Looking at all your delicious grits gave me a craving! I had to run to the kitchen to make polenta.

Admin said...

I've only recently discovered grits and realized what I'd missed all these years. It's a perfect foil for everything from eggs to, er, frog legs. :)

Joy said...

Love grits! I have them with a poached egg on top, too. The best grits are those that have to be cooked a long time (check the Anson Mills website). Really love shrimp and grits. They have a good recipe for them on there.

http://www.ansonmills.com

Laura said...

Those bluberry rolls OH MAN I need some. They look fine!

Diana H said...

My mother in law would love your boiled egg yolks. She's very Par-ti-cu-lar about her boiled eggs and lets people know when they aren't done right...You would have passed the test even if you are a boy and in her family, they don't really cook.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Woow doggy bloggy u try soooooooooooo many varieties of food really i appreciate this.. gourmer platter ... fantastic display.. Since i was busy with my kid i missed ur post suddenly today i saw huge number of dishes.. lovely arrangements too.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to dig into those dishes!

Tangled Noodle said...

Gawd, those eggs and grits look awesome!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love frog legs and I love grits...yum!

Vicki said...

Mmm, I could seriously demolish a plate of frog legs, grits & poached egg. Looks great, as always.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin