Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

baa baa black sheep


R
ogan Josh - translates roughly to 'red lamb' because of the use of paprika and chile powder. This dish originates in Kashmir, though mine originates in my memories from twenty plus years of eating and cooking this dish! This style of lamb is my favorite to order at Indian restaurants - more than any other - even more than vindaloo. The secret is in the yogurt. The tart acidic nature of the yogurt helps break down and tenderize the meat with such a nice flavor and I take it one step further and two steps to the side with the addition of coconut milk. I experiment with flavors!



I let this simmer for a couple of hours or more - I like the meat to get soft and I like the gravy to get infused with the fats and oils so that it is so mouthwatering and so delicious you will want to come back for thirds. Years ago I would make this and eat it with tortillas since I could make flour tortillas a lot faster than I could make naan bread, now I eat it with rice and even though I like the breads it is a bit more healthy to skip it sometimes. (as I was typing this the tortilla craving overwhelmed me and I had to give in - nothing beats taking a piece of flat bread and wrapping it around a piece of meat or potato from your plate and popping the little morsel into your eager and waiting mouth).



If you want the recipe -let me know, but I have to tell you I strayed from the original versions.



My son loves to dig in!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18546/18546-h/images/img024.jpg

I AM afraid to say how this sounds- summer fun everyone!

22 comments:

buffalodick said...

Nicely done, once more! You understand how to cook and enjoy that animal-! Done properly, like you did, it is the best.. done by a rookie- not so hot!

Cynthia said...

Listen, I will even sleep on the floor - I have to come and spend time with you to enjoy all the fantastic food you make!

theUngourmet said...

Looks very good! I would want the tortilla too!

A little confession time. I have never cooked lamb! Why is this???

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow looks so great and lovely decor... drooling seeing the picture..

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Great photos - making me hungry for some red lamb.

Anonymous said...

your first sentence made me laugh...I remember when we were at a middle-eastern restaurant once and my cousin REFUSED to order the lamb kibbeh because lamb is "cute"...then she proceeded to devour her pork. Guess pigs aren't that cute.

Anonymous said...

Lamb Rogan Josh is our absolute favorite! But I haven't made it at home and actually I would love to take a look at your recipe if that's ok. Thanks!

KennyT said...

It looks very good, u like hot spicy food!

Jenn said...

Mmm...Looks awesome!! I've only had lamb once at a restaurant near my home. It was in a kabob form. It was alright, I think a little overcooked, but yours looks perfectly done. You should show them how to make it your way.

Anette said...

My mouth just watered like a well! Lamb season is just starting here, An now I just might have to do some kind of lamb very soon. I would have loved to come over for that! I love lamb! Sigh... (and slightly drooling)

Heather S-G said...

Definitely...give me a pile of tortillas and plate of this and I"m good! Looks delish!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This looks perfect! I'm the only one in my house that eats lamb. I'd love to have a serving of this!

nora@ffr said...

yumm!! i also love indian foods very much!! specially its being spicy!! m not a fan of lamb but my husband du adore lamb dishes. love the gravy part!! perfectly made!

nora@ffr said...

yumm!! i also love indian foods very much!! specially its being spicy!! m not a fan of lamb but my husband du adore lamb dishes. love the gravy part!! perfectly made!

vanillasugarblog said...

would you hate me if I said I don't like lamb? yes, I've tried it every which way till sunday--just don't like the flavor of the meat, too gamey. (not matter how long I soak it.
so I wanted to say I like this sauce though--I am a sauce-junkie

The Diva on a Diet said...

This ...

"... nothing beats taking a piece of flat bread and wrapping it around a piece of meat or potato from your plate and popping the little morsel into your eager and waiting mouth"

made me weak in the knees. Yes, I am now lusting after your lamb and tortillas ... as well as the recipe. Straying is a good thing indeed. ;)

The Duo Dishes said...

This would make a great lunch. Can you send by messenger pigeon?

Hungry Dog said...

This looks awesome! Please post the recipe!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love lamb at our house. Always looking for more lamb recipes. Thanks.
Sam

tavolini said...

I could eat coconut milk in pretty much everything.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

One of my fave lamb preparation-the other being 'biryani'!!
BTW,I can see a lot of inspiration from Pavithra's presentation styles-very creative :)

Maya said...

Hi! I haven't been posting on my blog lately, but I have been cooking when I have time. I made this dish last night. I had some lamb in the freezer so I figured this would be a great way to use it. It was incredible! Thank you muchly for the great idea.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin