Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

My blog has been blogging since some of you were kids


Six years ago I had some kind of foggy notion - to some of you this might feel like a revelation but to me it was nothing more than a foggy notion - and this foggy notion was some kind of idea of what it would be like to make an online log of my nonsense, something they were calling a blog. I wrote in journals all my life and no one would get to see them unless I showed them to them and these journals were chock full of drawings and collages and poems and thoughts and clippings and what ever else struck my fancy. Blogs were the perfect format for me plus I wouldnt have to lug my books around to show people, people were sitting in chairs waiting to see in the comfort of their own environs. Six years later everybody has a blog. I am not saying I was the only one because I wasnt, there were other blogs back then but there wasnt a "blogging community" like there is now. Mommy blogs and gripe blogs and HNT blogs and secret blogs and gazillions of food blogs and you name it are all a click away. In six years some of you went from being teenagers to becoming experts on food and wine - a lot can happen in six years - me I just got older.

I have made many friends probably not made a few too, I have had people that can neither cook nor write, offer to teach me how to cook and write. I have had some people think I was a woman, I guess because of my sensitivity, and then be all confused when they find out I am not. I have also learned a great deal about humanity. Blogs are a great thing. So to toast my blog and the blog world I offer up a little drunken pasta with a salmon cake. Cheers.

Whew, celebrations out of the way lets make room for the good stuff. Salmon gnocchi. Did you catch all that - that was the recipe. I found that cute little wooden thing at a flea market yesterday and I thought it was for making gnocchi, maybe it is maybe it isnt - I used a fork to make mine, I tried the little gadget but the grooves didnt seem deep enough.

The gnocchi were so perfect with their little bits of salmon and the yukon gold potato.

Salmon gnocchi with a Meyer lemon caper butter sauce - creamy, silky, pillowy softness with more flavor than deserves to be on a fork.

You know I wish I could share. I have made gnocchi several times and I always say this but this time its more real than the last - these are the best gnocchi I have ever made.

40 comments:

teresa said...

cheers indeed! and a wonderful blog you have too. love this dish.

Unknown said...

I've enjoyed catching up on your past posts!

The salmon gnocchi looks incredible!

I have the same epiphany with gnocchi.. every time I make it seems better than the time before. But if I made you salmon ones... I'd probably be saying THESE are the best.

Cheers!

Toby

Jason said...

Damn Christo, looking really good!!! You feel like adopting a 33 year old boy?

Cucinanostra said...

OOoooo! I want that "groovy" new spoon of yours! I wonder what it is really for? I use a butter paddle to make my gnocchi, but yours look fabulous. I am officially jealous!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Another gorgeous dish....your gnocchi look perfect!

Belinda said...

Oo - what a fun find and a beautiful recipe!

theUngourmet said...

I was sure you would hate me for thinking you were a chick! ;D I'm glad we're still speaking.

I really can't put into words just how much I need a plate of your salmon gnocchi...right this minute! Your Meyer Lemon Caper Butter Sauce puts it over the top for me. Amazing! Seriously, I'm heading to the airport right now. What's your address?! ;D

mely said...

This is a fun post to read. Cute little spoon. I had a gnocchi wooden little tool but is more than a stick with a dented end. This one thta you found looks easier to use.

You are right about the sensitive part of you. That is what makes you different from other men bloggers.

Have a great week, Christo!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Christo, six years! That's awesome! And totally loving your salmon gnocchi, they sound truly amazing!

Unknown said...

6 years - Congrats! I truly enjoy reading your posts, and that salmon gnocchi looks to die for!

Anette said...

I bet that wooden thing is something to roll og shape pretty balls or curls of butter, it might even be from Norway, like that other treasure you've got! I think I've seen something like that before!

Jackie said...

That special gnocchi spoon rocks! <3 it! I usually use the back of a fork to form gnocchi. Where can I get it? I'm so envious! :-]

JACKIE at PHAMFATALE.com

Marjie said...

Is it 6 years today? Congrats. This looks like a wonderful meal...as usual.

chow and chatter said...

wow love this gnocchi :-) and I adore your blog your a pro and so fun to read

Vickie said...

Gorgeous! And your food is nice, too. I love that little wooden gadget ... I would have thought it perfect for pinching gnocchi into shape as well. I have to admit that I'd never tasted gnocchi until recently and I had to make it to try it. (cannot find it anywhere up here in BFE) I liked it but didn't love it, and had nothing to compare it to. The quest continues.

Cynthia said...

Congratulations my friend and here's to many more years of sharing your amazing creations with us.

tavolini said...

Congratulations--six years already?!


Gnocchi looks fantastic--I should take a stab at making it again. I've had a few sticky, chunky not very good attempts :)

Here's to six more years!

Cucinanostra said...

Will trade pierogi for that spoon!

gaga said...

I've tried gnocchi a few times and have failed every single time. I'm truly impressed, it looks great!

Anonymous said...

We not only get older, but better! The gnocci looks amazing! What is that wooden thing for??

Tangled Noodle said...

In blog years, the rest of us are still pups compared to doggybloggy! When I started a mere 2 years ago, there were so many food blogs already on the scene, but only a few that truly inspired - yours being one.

Now, your salmon gnocchi is a fabulous way to celebrate. I want that spoon (along with the quenelle scoop from your sour cherry post. Where do you find these pieces? Jealous.)

Victoria said...

6 years is definitely a long time to be blogging! You're right, these gnocchi look great! I made gnocchi last week too. It really is such a fun dish to put together :)

Lori Lynn said...

Here's to you, and your blog, and to your salmon gnocchi Christo!
LL

Barbara said...

Congrats, my friend. You've been hanging in here quite a while! And still going strong. I give you a toast with the drunken pasta!

And salmon gnocchi? Clever you! What a super idea.

Jamie said...

Cheers and congratulations and happy us that you blog! Now if you could only share this wonderful dish. It looks absolutely fabulous, delicious, divine. Gorgeous gnocchi. I still haven't tempted them. And love the gnocchi spoon or whatever it is.

j3nn.net said...

Wow! That is the most unique gnocchi I have ever seen!! Sounds delicious.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Cheers Christo, Your food is amazing, always such a visual feast!

Unknown said...

Congratulations that's some milestone. Hope I can be around as long.

pigpigscorner said...

Oh wow, 6 years! That's a long way! Here's to more 6 years!

Sippity Sup said...

You always have a great way of saying things. Sure 6 years in a lifetime in blog years, but add to that 6 years of constant growth, honesty, and creative communication and you really have something. And you my friend really do have something here. GREG

Tiffany said...

Another beautiful dish!

Cooking Rookie said...

wow, you'er so brave to be making gnocchi! Great post :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow. those photos are amazing - great looking dishes. Congrats on the look-back on your blogging career.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I don't know how I missed this. I must have been out on the prairie or something. Anyway..... cheers Christo and congratulations on six years.

I've very flattered that you called some of us a kid. I only wish.
Sam

Stacey Snacks said...

You are a pioneer!
I didnt know what a blog was 6 years ago!
Keep it going!
S.

Magic of Spice said...

Six years...WOW! Amazing as are you, looking forward to many more :)
This gnocchi dish is killer!

Unknown said...

You know, I've often wondered what happened to the first generation of "us." I'm new to the food blogging world and I try to seek out people like you from whom I can learn.

So, in addition to finding some amazing food, photography and recipes, I look forward to paging through your online journal here and gleaning what I can from your experience. Many thanks.

Unknown said...

Delicate presenting. Nice share!

Velva said...

Happy Blog Anniversary Christo! I totally understand the writing in journals, the jotting of notes, thoughts and random ideas. A blog is a perfect place to unleash.
I don't claim to know how to write or cook only that I have a passion for food, and need an outlet. I am amazed everyday what I learn from the creativity and passion of my fellow bloggers. You are one of those bloggers that I look to for inspiration and passion.

Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

Velva

Unknown said...

I've been around for about four of those many years :). I proud and honored to call you my friend. Actually I thank God for the person who was going to give you lessons on how to cook and write because I would have never met you otherwise!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin