Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

bombay away


S
ince there is no such place as Bombay anymore I dont feel bad using the word anytime I want. I might have mentioned how much I like the flavors of India and if I didnt then - I like the flavors of India!



Before I get started let me first address the avocado cheesecake. You would have to have the taste buds of a butterfly to even notice the avocado so to want to make it savory does not seem right. You could make an avocado quiche, maybe, and that would be nice and tasty with a spicy salsa but this is a cheesecake that happens to be green and have avocado in it so sweet all the way. I will be posting a picture of it with a tropical fruit 'salsa' that paired perfectly. On to the spinach and the green theme I wasnt even aware of. (speaking of green and avocado - there is some avocado ice cream in the freezer doing its bad boy thing right now)

Here is how I make Saag Paneer (the oh so rare recipe post)

1 large onion
6 cloves garlic
1 oz fresh ginger
1 lb of cooked spinach drained (you can use fresh or frozen)
1 large carrot diced
1 cup plain yogurt
4 oz buttermilk
2 teaspoon red chili powder
2 teaspoon garam masala (my garam masala is a blend of cinnamon, cardamon, clove, black pepper, nutmeg, mace, ginger, garlic, white pepper, star anise, all spice, tumeric, cumin coriander and mustard seed)
1 cup half and half
6 oz paneer, use the homemade cheese from a couple posts ago
- salt to taste

Grind the onion, garlic, and ginger into a fine paste.

In a medium saucepan, combine the paste,(onion garlic and ginger) spinach, carrot (I like to add the carrot for color mostly you can omit it for a more authentic look) yogurt, buttermilk, chili powder, and garam masala. Simmer at medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the half and half. Simmer until the mixture has a creamy consistency, 10 to 15 minutes. (you can mash it more if you like a more creamy texture but I like mine a little 'rough') Add the cheese, simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt. Makes 4 to 6 servings.



So there you go - one of my favorite lunches, or serve as a side dish, that both nourishes and satisfies with heartiness and flavor. Serve it with rice or bread - these are mini pitas, and guess what? Its even better the next day!

31 comments:

theUngourmet said...

I think I had this once a long time ago but it didn't look nearly as good as yours. I bet it is so terrific with your handmade cheese in there. Nice!

Lauren said...

mmmmm i love indian and that cheesecake has me intrigued

Keithgarrick said...

Wow that look amazing, Thanx for the post

Jenn said...

This is so perfect. I just found out how to make homemade paneer, then you you post, one of my all-time favorite Indian dishes. You're my new best friends. ;-) Bookmarked!! I've been trying to find a recipe for this. I've got a big smile on my face right now!

Padma said...

Saag paneer looks great and nice addition of carrot to make it more colorful. Love to have it as a side dish with some breads...

The Diva on a Diet said...

A recipe?! Whoa, for a minute there I thought I was on the wrong blog. Will be tucking this one away for sure, its one of my most favorite things and your version looks luscious. Thanks!

Marjie said...

Looks pretty, but I'm not much of a fan of Indian food. Can't even stand the smell of curry. I'm also not sure I could deal with green cheesecake, but you know me...I love cheesecake! Even if I am fussy!

Bob said...

I'm not a big Indian fan, but I know several people who are. I'll be sending this along to them.

Christo Gonzales said...

ungourmet: it is/was

healthy: the cheese cake is really good

keith: give it a try - its tasty

jenn: looks like you are set

padma: it is one of my favorite lunches that I dont eat often enough

diva: I posted the recipe because maybe this isnt all that common even though the ingredients are

marjie: if you love cheesecake then you would love this cheescake

bob: thanks....

Pooja said...

Wow saag paneer looks so delicious! Great to know that you love Indian food!

Angie's Recipes said...

Never had this before....I am interesting in two bread buns....the homemade cheese rock!
Angie's Recipes

Donna-FFW said...

I enjoy mine a little 'rough' sometimes too. Depends on my mood.

;)

Admin said...

Saag Paneer is my all-time favorite. And you're so right about it being better the next day. How cool is it to not only be able to say you make Saag Paneer from scratch but also that you make the paneer yourself as well.

Christo Gonzales said...

pooja: I dont love Indian food I LOVE Indian food!

angie: the bread is mini pitas...

donna: not only rough but early in the morning as well

leela: saag paneer is so good any way you can get it - but homemade all the way - mmmmmmmmmmmm

Angel said...

WHAT THE HELL??? a RECIPE??? with measurments and stuff???? ok,

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH DOG???!

Melody said...

I had a bowl of cheerios for lunch yesterday. Yours looks much better. Wanna trade?

Christo Gonzales said...

beth: I tried to turn over a new leaf but once I did I found a ton more leaves underneath - remember I was going to post recipes *all the time* well this is about as *all the time* as I can muster.....

melody: cherrios with fresh blueberries? sure I'll trade!

Harmony said...

Wow this IS a rare occassion...a recipe? How thoughtful of you. I wonder if mine would look anything like yours. hmmmm

I can't wait to see your avocado cheesecake paired with a fruity 'salsa'. I bet it looks gorgeous. My brain is exploding with color and I know you won't disappoint.

pinknest said...

saag paneer is one of my favorites, especially when there is PLENTY of ghee in there!!

Christo Gonzales said...

harmony: I made a sauce from the fruits so the it will look more like that -

pinknest: agghhhh - ghee free - I used butter and a little oil since I had no ghee and didnt feel like melting a pound of butter to make some....whoops -

Reeni said...

These both look delicious - I'm especially loving the cheesecake!

Parita said...

Saag paneer looks just Perfect!

Pam said...

I really need to try more Indian food - I love the flavors but am intimidated to cook it. Great recipe.

Unknown said...

I wonder how soon Beth will try to make that, but triple the avocados.

snugs said...

you had to go ruin this post with putting another pic of that ugly ass cheesecake in there again...

Christo Gonzales said...

reeni: it is unusually delicious

parita: well thank-you very much!

pam: you like chile its just another way to eat it

bina: good question

snugs: you had to say ass again didnt you?

Zoe said...

Mmm I love paneer, great job!

Heather S-G said...

Wow, gorgeous and healthy...can you believe I've never had Paneer? I really must try it!

Unknown said...

I love garam masala!!! This looks great!

ARUNA said...

u made me feel nostalgic!!!!!! I love this!

tavolini said...

Oh man, that looks excellent! It has been way too long since I've had saag paneer. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin