Pages

Friday, March 28, 2008

green curry



I definitely stunk up the apartment and probably my whole floor but it was worth it. The flavor was so good and believe it or not, subtle. The shrimp paste was certainly an aroma that stayed the entire time but the flavor was sweet and mildly shrimpy and it had enough salt that more salt was not required. I sort of made up how to make the green curry based on what I thought goes into Thai food.

I put a handfull of both flat leaf parsely and cilantro in a food processor along with the juice and zest of one lemon, the white end portion of a stalk of lemon grass, three jalapenos with pith and seeds removed (three because they werent that hot) three pieces of peeled ginger about the size of a large jalapeno, three whole scallions, five cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of honey and a nice sized spoonful of shrimp paste then puree until its a paste, adding more lemon juice to keep it smooth if necessary.

I heated a large skillet and in it I put some dried red chile flakes and some freshly smashed corriander seeds and peppercorns and these were warmed until aromatic. Once it was hot I put in about a cup of the curry paste, some wings that were seasoned with celery salt, garlic, onion and ginger powder and mixed pepper (sezchuan, white and black peppercorns) that I had only fried half way to tighten the skin and chicken broth. once this came to a boil I put in three fourths of a can of coconut milk and simmered until tender. The rest of the coconut milk went into the rice cooker with the rice and water. Result: Green Curry with Chicken and Coconut Rice.

12 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

I should clarify - the strong smell was only in the beginning but it lingered on my clothes and in the air, the dish itself did not, however, retain the aroma.

Tanya Kristine said...

yum. i love anything with cilantro. and i love anything thai.

tavolini said...

Looks like a winner!

Our house usually has that, "good lord, what were you cooking?!?" smell to it.

Christo Gonzales said...

tk: this is my first thai attempt and it came out quite nice

tavolini: but boy do I like that "good lord, what were you cooking?!?" smell...

Anndi said...

That DOES look good.

daphne said...

I love this!!! Thai cooking is great. Bet your neighbors are jealous.

Evalinn said...

I just had breakfast, but u still make me hungry! :-)

buffalodick said...

Looks and sounds interesting! I remember the first time I used anchovie paste- a leap of faith, but now I don't make my pizza sauce without it!

Anette said...

I must admit. It looks very nice! I would have tried it, and probably like it. But there's a chance I had to leave the house after the meal (of course after licking my plate politely) , cause the smell of smelly food usually gets to me after I have eaten.

Christo Gonzales said...

anndi: surprising - really...no really

daphne: I wanted to ask you if you have experience with this paste...

evalinn: even after your hearty breakfasts...wow

buffalo: it simmmred down to a nice sweet mixture...I will use it again thats for sure...

anette: if you came over today and had it you wouldnt smell the smell anymore...

Dana said...

Mmmmm ... I *heart* anything with curry, and this looks to be no exception!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I care HOW it smelled, because that looks DAMN good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin