Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

filo fun

I cracked out the filo dough only to find it had cracked as well and since I already had my son psyched about making pastries we plowed forward. I wanted to make individual tarts since they are more fun and more personal to eat but we couldnt without opening the other package of filo. The miser that I am I thought we could use the filo flakes, we did and it worked.



Layer of filo flakes and drizzle of butter repeated till the pan was full, bake till golden.




Mini double boiler action, saucepan, rack, water, steel bowl.



Egg yolks, butter, sugar, vanilla whisked until thick.



Some orange zest.



Arrange the kiwis on top of the egg mixture that you let cool slightly before pouring over the baked crust and lazy me thought that I could avoid peeling them but nuh-uh.



Peels were not appreciated. Drizzle honey over entire thing and bake again until it slightly puffs. Let cool and devour.

9 comments:

Tanya Kristine said...

you can eat kiwi peels? i think i'd rather eat kody hair.

Unknown said...

Okay, while I have NO idea what filo is, I would be more than happy to eat that! It looks yummy!

Christo Gonzales said...

tanya: you can but I was the only one that did...

bina: it is an ultra thin pastry dough that you find in the freezer section of the grocery store...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllo

Angel said...

um, that looks so good, I'd eat the peels and all.....

Michelle Ann said...

I love phyllo. Made it once in culinary school...what a pain in the butt. Much easier to buy it in the box.

Unknown said...

Dog, regarding my cut. That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it! See, why is it you and I are the only ones who see that????

Christo Gonzales said...

beth: I eat potato skins too

michelle ann: that was quite an undertaking and one I would not undertake, you are right it is easier to get it from the store.

bina: duh!

buffalodick said...

I found cutting the kiwi into pieces first and then knifing off the skin works about the best... I don't like to eat the fuzz on a peach either...But your creation looks delicious!

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: it was tasty and the skins came right off the cooked product

Blog Widget by LinkWithin