Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

tag your it


I found mushrooms yesterday. Shaggy Manes. I love the texture and I love the flavor but these react to beer and I drink beer. There are several in the inky cap variety that are edible but they do react to alcohol - you cant eat them and drink - they will make you sick. I gave them to my friend.

25 comments:

Jenn said...

That pretty neat!! But it sucks that you can't have 'em with alcohol.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Oh really, I never knew mushrroms react with beer, new to me though... What abt ur fren, does he drink???

gastroanthropologist said...

So nice of you to share! I think I would hoard any mushrooms I found... and I didn't know about the alcohol reaction.

Kimberly said...

Hmm..'shrooms & beer? Medicinal purposes, right?

Harmony said...

A friend...huh? I had no idea that some mushrooms reacted with alcohol...thanks for teaching us something new.

snugs said...

ahh, doggy wouldn't want to give up his beer now would he?

Marjie said...

Out playing in the warm weather, eh? Yeah, my kids and dog, too. Thank goodness they don't bring me mushrooms...I know we disagree on that point!

Jeff said...

So I guess that would rule out beer battering them. Dang that sucks and I don't know i like a beer with dinner and I like mushrooms. Forcing me to decide would be a hard decision. Got to think about this one.....

TavoLini said...

This is why mushrooms scare me. How did you find out that these react to alcohol?

oneshotbeyond said...

interesting find. I wouldn't have known they actually had a name if I'd have came across them.

doggybloggy said...

everyone: there is actually a mushroom from this family called an'alcohol inky' and it is the most potent of these types - the reaction is not too severe - upset stomach with the associated results of having an upset stomach (if you know what I mean with out having to say it and its not nausea) and it lingers, if you have had alcohol any where in the 48-72 hours before or after you could feel the symptoms...but this is only one common mushroom and not everyone gets the symptoms - you taste a little and wait a couple hours if nothing happens you should be ok. There will be many more - many with NO symptoms what-so-ever.

Beth said...

ok, so the swine flu has changed your plans? you'll be in town now or what? e-mail me.

Dawn said...

you gave them to your friend? to eat? LOL bad

The Diva on a Diet said...

Wow, that's interesting. How did you come to be so mushroom-knowledgeable, doggy? I'm impressed with your foraging skills!

Patty Gironda said...

Ditto-about your "smarts". The only thing I have ever foraged is my garbage can . . . and spice bush- a Cherokee favorite. Spice Bush Tea would sooth an upset tummy! I'm trying to get some plants for a wet area of my property.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm too scared to eat mushrooms that don't come with a price tag.

Creative Mish said...

Yea! You found some! They look like Shaggy on Scooby Doo!

Just telling it like it is said...

Ive' never heard of them before how do they react with alcohol?

Christine aka Mistress of Cakes said...

This is my official public announcement on your blog lol:

I am sorry. I was ignorant. I have learned a huge lesson from this.

Christine

Jill said...

I've never heard of these...and I like to think I'm well informed!

Beth said...

they're kind of phallic looking, aren't they? ;)

buffalodick said...

Well, I love Morels, but on me they make E-lax look pretty weak! Once a year- It's worth it!

Tangled Noodle said...

Ah, to be a fearless funghi forager!

Hornsfan said...

wow, didn't know there were mushrooms that react to alcohol....sad day when you can't drink your beer and eat your mushrooms too!

Susan said...

I am fascinated by all your mushroom knowledge and the fact that you hunt mushrooms. We often have mushrooms in our yard after a lot of rain. Now, after all these years, I want to know more about them!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin