Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

brew ha ha


I
covered a beer tasting on the 15th (yesterday for those of you in real time) for foodbuzz put on by Shmaltz Brewery at Blind Tiger. Lets break this down piece by piece. Many of you know about foodbuzz as many of you are involved with it as well, well foodbuzz is growing very rapidly and I am glad to be a part of this expanding world community of all things comestible. Whenever foodbuzz has an event I always try and find time to go but this was an exclusive event attended by me and another blogger named Jessica. We somehow managed to not exchange cards even though we gave them to the Shmaltz guys. Hopefully she will find this and hopefully I will find her. Update: we found each other! Check out Hartley Confections



Now lets talk about the Blind Tiger. This is one of the premiere ale houses in New York City and it is a special deal to have your beers showcased for an evening of tasting, which brings me to the overwhelming aspect of the whole deal. The place was full of beer bloggers! Experts on hops and malts and barleys and yeasts and fermentation processes and hydrometers and whatever else that is way over my beer guzzling head. It was fascinating to watch these guys (98% male) jotting down and chatting about the subtle undertones and fruity finishes.



Good thing Matt and Shawn from Shmaltz Brewery took the time to tell me about all the nuances I would have otherwise missed.




I was offered 4 choice brews to sample. He'Brew Coney Island Sword Swallower - sweet without being cloying and then it moves into a grassy citrus hop bite. The He'Brew Rejewvenator - this is a seasonal beer which was a burnt reddish hued ale with a nose blending subtle fruits with an edge of roasted malt, I also tasted a soft cognac flavor probably due to the figs. Then we moved on to the He'Brew Coney Island Human Blockhead - this beer was rich with malts, dried fruits and even some Jack Daniels thrown in for fun not to mention it was aged in Oak Jack Daniel barrels. This beer is a limited editon and I was glad to get to taste it. If this wasnt enough we got to finish off the tasting with He'Brew Jewbelation 12 - twelfth in the line of Jewbelations to commemorate the 12 years this brewery has been in business. 12 malts, 12 hops and 12 additions - this beer was bold with its rich brown hue and its big blend of spices, licorice and warming malts that and at 12% alcohol it finished with a long boozy dryness.

These beers are available by the keg and by the bottle.

29 comments:

buffalodick said...

So many beers, so little time... I just heard they brought back the original Schlitz formula used in 1960.. I have a copper belt buckle made from that brew kettle- melted down in 1976(when they went to stainless)..

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

To be honest I never knew there are beer bloggers and so many in NYC itself wow I am speachless... Havent really ventured into anything of this kind, thanks for enlightening!!!

Stacey Snacks said...

What a great event, and how cool that you were asked to blog about it.
I have never heard of these beers, and it's funny, they held the event during Passover (beer isn't kosher for Passover, unless their brew was!).
I love their label graphics.

Mo Diva said...

thats awesome!
I gotta keep an eye out for those! the coney island one sounds good!

Anonymous said...

Awesome event and great write-up!

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: I bet thats a cool buckle - there were plenty more beers to try but I didnt want to make a career out of it...

ramya: these bloggers take beer seriously...

stacey: I didnt ask about the Kosher but I bet they were - these guys were proud of the beers heritage

mo: I see the coney island ones in my A&P ....

5 star: it was a nice event and it was cool to try such incredibly unique beers

The Diva on a Diet said...

Ah, so you were the lucky attendee. Way to go, doggy, looks like a right good time. And tasty too! I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I really like the sound of those you tasted. Will have to look out for them. I echo your props for The Blind Tiger. Wonderful place.

Jessica Levine said...

Hey Christophe, nice post. I'm Jessica of Hartley Confections, we met last night. If you'd liek to check out my post on the Shmaltz Beer Tasting you can go here:

http://hartleyconfections.com/2009/04/16/shmaltz-hebrew-beer-tasting-on-passover/

vanillasugarblog said...

I could get into that. You know what beer I just love? A nice cold Red Stripe. Something about that beer is just so damn good.

Jenn said...

Nice write-up. I usually go for a New Castle, but I can change it up every once in a while. I love the names of the beers.

Christo Gonzales said...

diva: Lightening fast on the response I guess- these beers were all flavor

Jessica: hey thanks for tracking me down - it was nice to meet you too!

dawn: red stripe is a good one -especially icy cold!

Christo Gonzales said...

jenn: you snuck in there - I think New Castle is too sweet - I start feeling the hangover after the first sip - but I can see why you would like it - nice nutty flavor

Unknown said...

Hey there. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Company. Glad you had a great time at the event. I live out in CA, and it looks like I missed out.
Hey Stacey, Passover actually ended last night. I think they put this together as a 'break the beer fast,' or something like that.
Anyhow, glad y'all had fun. L'Chaim!!

Just telling it like it is said...

I'm in like flin...

Christo Gonzales said...

Zak: the beers were great - I will be trying more and more of these as the days progress

just telling: I knew you would be...

Dana said...

We have a wonderful little microbrewery within earshot that does a brewmaster dinner each season - pairing beer with really good food. It's one of my favorite special events and I am always learning something about food and beer.

Hornsfan said...

now that's an event! very cool and i love the names of the various brews they had, very entertaining

Home At Last said...

You are like a "male" me! What a dream job. . .I love beer.

We traveled to Italy with a wine buyer from Whole Foods and he really intimated me at first-and then he shared with me (walking the vineyards) that the only thing I had to know about wine. . . was what tasted good in my mouth!

Just a little bit of useless wisdom. I really wrote to tell you I love BEER!

zlamushka said...

looks like such a great meet up, I loooooooove BEEEEEEEEER. Can you hear that? :-)

Donna-FFW said...

What fun! How awesome, lucky you!

tavolini said...

Looks like some delicious beer! I love the names--will definitely have to try this next time we're in NY.

Have fun with the family :D

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so cool you got to meet another blogger and sample all that beer!

Anonymous said...

Something about the sword swallower sounds intriguing and dangerous all at once!

Unknown said...

I would love to go to one of these! I LOVE beer! And better yet, I would love to drinking beer, in a bar, with 98% men. WHAT could be better???

Not much. Except you cooking for me one day.

Christo Gonzales said...

dana: that sounds like such a fun and special time - I know I would look forward to it.

hornsfan: I guess thats one way to use an english degree - the proprietor of the brewery writes the stuff up himself.

patty: another me whether male or female cannot possibly be a good thing...LOL

ziamushka: I hear the battle cry and I agreeeeeeeeeeee

donna: It was pretty nice meeting the brewery guys and getting the inside scoop....

tavolini: check your stores these beers are bottled and they have a pretty good distributorship going on

TBD: through foodbuzz and the events they sponsor - meeting other bloggers has become pretty normal - I would like to refer anyone who wants to join - let me know - (they have a referral process)

duodishes: what about the human blockhead - he puts nails in is skull

Christo Gonzales said...

bina: you snuck by while I was responding - I think all 98% of those men would love to drink beer with you too

Elyse said...

My boyfriend is a total beer lover. He loves to brew it, buy it, and drink it. I can't wait to share your post with him--he's always up for learning about a new brand!

Tangled Noodle said...

A local wine store has (or had) beer tastings every Friday which the hubs and I would hit. He's always the DD b/c I'm toasted after 2 samples. Even if I were lucky enough to go to such an event, I would've been useless as a reviewer. Enjoyed your notes and will watch out for these brews!

CreativeMish said...

There are alot of micro breweries in the Northwest. Too bad I've never been much of a beer drinker. Every once in a while I'll try one... Ick!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin