Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2008

posole de pollo



Thats chicken posole in english and its gonna have to stay that way since there is no english word for 'posole', in fact outside of New Mexico its called 'pozole.' When it starts getting cold outside I wanna be warm inside and posole always does the trick. I have so many 'go to' comfort foods but truth be told if its cold then I will choose posole. I can make this every which way to sunday and back. If you want to know how - I will tell you.

________________________________

Ok here goes:
I altered the recipe to include ingredients you can find just about anywhere.

  • 1 1/2 lbs. chicken legs with thighs
  • 1/2 onion stuck with 2 cloves
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 5 peppercorns
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
  • oregano, pinch
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 4 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed (if you dont have the dried corn)
  • 3 to 5 cups chicken broth from cooking the chicken legs and thighs
  • 1 cup canned chopped green chilies
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 whole jalapenos, canned or fresh, chopped (optional)

Place the chicken in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water. Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic, peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.

Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute. Cut the reserved chicken that was stripped from the bones into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan. Stir in the canned hominy, chicken broth, green chilies and jalapenos (optional).

Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 minutes until the flavors have married, I usually add a few dried red guajillo chiles or dried red serranos to the boil, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls, with some diced onion a squeeze of lime some cilantro if you want and some crackers or corn tortillas on the side. A good point to remember is this soup is way better the next day.

12 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Do you think am gonna say no??? So when are you parting with your Comfort back to sunday food - Posole de pollio recipe???

Anndi said...

Tell me... please?

Joy said...

I like hominy, whole and in its ground form of grits. This sounds really good, which is usual for your food!

I heard someone say that those who bake aren't usually great cooks. I like to bake (cakes, cookies, pies, muffins, quick breads, brownies, and other desserts). There might be some truth to this, but it doesn't quite sound right.

snugs said...

I am not getting the pronunciation on this nut it sure sounds good..

Chef E said...

We had left over lamb and white yam stew to keep us warm, but I made homemade ice cream! Now I am cold...

tavolini said...

if your were to do it vegetarian, would you try seitan or some substitute meat, or would it be better just using random, doggy bloggy esque vegetables?

Your palate runs large.

jesse said...

Wow, great, versatile recipe! I wanna know how else you can cook it! Pleasepleaseplease?

Anonymous said...

Looks great. I'm a posole fan!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love SW recipes! Hooray!

Christo Gonzales said...

ramya: after you and anndi commented I put up a recipe

anndi: I heard you and here you go...

joy: hominy in all its glory is good...

snugs: poh - so - lee

chef e: your stew sounded really good..


tavolini: wheat meat would be good in this - try and make it extra chewy so it can hold up to the long simmer - other wise cook everything separately and mix per serving - I do it that way sometimes too to control ratios

jesse: I will try...click the posole link to see a couple other versions

lisaiscooking: its a good fan club to be in

TBD: hip hip hooray...

Anette said...

This is heart warming soup! I've got to find out what hominy is!

Christo Gonzales said...

anette: hominy is a large kernel corn...it comes from south america originally..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin