Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

morning gruel



You could hardly call this gruel but I do. I always have, that and slop. When I was a kid I got the biggest kick out asking for 'slop' or 'gruel' for breakfast. Problem was we had a pig, on occasion, and that is what we gave the pig so it was not always a good idea to ask for that unless I was prepared for pig food. This is neither 'slop' nor 'gruel' this is Irish oatmeal, McCanns to be exact, at least that what it says on the box. It looks like regular oat meal only smaller oats, its probably because they are 'steel cut'. (frankly I prefer good old fashioned Quaker Oats but someone gave me these - because they thought of me - how I remind someone of oats is beyond me) anyway....



This oat meal was made with apple bananas, you remember these, the little bananas that have a distinctive apple flavor, I had the pup smash them all up and I spritzed them with fresh lime juice to keep em bright, dried cranberries, a cinnamon stick and homemade soy milk. Great way to start the day for the entire wolfpack.

14 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks wonderful. I've never made my own oatmeal, but it seems like such a earthy, yummy treat.

Mandi said...

Simply perfect!!! I love "gruel". I dont eat as often as I did when the kids were little. It such a great thing and so so so easy to make. I love it with anything, rasberries and blueberries have to be my favorite, and I also have to sprinkle brown sugar on it - yum yum, even though we are coming into Summer, I think I will have to make this for breakfast tomorrow......yum!!!

CreativeMish said...

I like mine with a little brown sugar and half and half.

Angel said...

I could eat this Dog....really, I could. But I can. not. do soy milk. sorry. I just can't. I tried it and I no likey the soy milk. Can I just have plain old 2% in mine? Pretty please?

Darius T. Williams said...

So, the oatmeal looks good - but you know - I totally prefer my oatmeal baked - like granola. I know - it's weird, right?

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Christo Gonzales said...

TBD: huh? you have never made oatmeal?

mandi: I like it as a midnight snack with nuts and honey and peaches

michelle: simple and sweet

beth: you cant even tell the soymilk is there- geeez

darius: do expand on this - how do you do it - do you make granola or do you make oatmeal and bake it like you would mac & cheese - not wierd - interesting!

Chef E said...

Nice pic with the red background and cinnimon stick...I would have sprinkled some hemp and goji berries on top for that extra antioxident...like I served in my health food store cafe :)

Beth- Rice milk has more of a skim milk texture and no real flavor

Joy said...

I like steel-cut oatmeal and usually eat it. I just put butter in it and go from there since I don't like a lot of stuff in mine. I like the photo, too.

Anette said...

That beeakfast will get you going for a while. Mmm! I think I can smell the cinnamon stick! Lovely!

tavolini said...

I grew up eating oatmeal every morning--of course it was the apples and cinnamon instant oatmeal--but it always holds a special place in my stomach.

Christo Gonzales said...

chef e: kicked up oats sounds great!

joy: simple is usually best

anette: I wish there were more things to do with cinnamon and vanilla

tavolini: I like the "and cream" versions of those

buffalodick said...

My wife loves oatmeal for breakfast, I prefer mine in a cookie!

Anonymous said...

I love oatmeal any way it comes! I make a mean chocolate oatmeal cookie on the stove! I'd put a pic up of them but they are better to eat than to look at! They are best eaten right out of the sticky pot.

Maggie said...

I love hot cereal. You should try making a savory version for breakfast. I eat Bob's Red Mill High Fiber Hot Cereal (it's kinda like a tastier cream of wheat) with chunks of cheese and chopped hot sopprasetta. It's one of my favorite breakfasts and I bet it would be good wth Irish oats as well.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin