Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

oh me oh my

http://www.gringo-times.com/articles/images/coconut-milk.jpg

Nobody, I mean no body gets more tired of me than me. I have to live with my coconut oil self. What is a 'coconut oil self' you might ask - well I might tell you that a 'coconut oil self' is someone who likes to put coconut oil on their 'self' - it is my moisturizer.

http://blog.themavenreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/coming-to-america-eddie-murphy1.jpg

Ever since I saw that Eddie Murphy movie Coming to America and Eddies character says he only washes his hair in fruit juices and coconut oil I was hooked. I would bathe in warm juice if it was a convenient and affordable thing to do - but it isnt; coconut oil on the other hand is readily available in many different grades. I use it on my hair and skin in the winter, it is thick and greasy and keeps me warm. I sometimes use food grade for popcorn, it makes it taste like movie theater popcorn. Oftentimes I use food grade as my moisturizer, just this morning I was wondering the long term effects of rubbing this fat into my hair and face. So you can see how tiring I can become.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/satchel-paige-hof.jpg

I just learned today from an anonymous person (source) who shall remain anonymous except for the initials AP - that my favorite quote "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." is by this man- Satchel Paige I further found out some interesting history. I never really knew where that quote came from - I always thought it was simply an age old idiom. Satchel Paige was like the Yogi Bera (Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra) of his time. Both men said some interesting things that they must have said often because someone wrote them down.
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/032007/the-computer-demands-a-blog.gif
How does this pertain to me? It doesnt and that is the beauty of the blog. Relevance is only relevant when it is looked at by someone else and we make each other relevant - all day long. I love it. I feel like the blog people I know are probably some of the most diverse and interesting people around. While there may be very different opinions and lifestyles and while not everyone will get along it is this kismet that keeps it all together.

http://www.download-for-free.com/img/free-christmas-holidays-screen-saver.jpg

Dang the holidays make me wax nostalgic!

29 comments:

Mandi said...

OK - Where is Christo? What have you done with him?? HA HA HA HA, I loved this post, its nice to see the "other" side of you more. BTW I can think of a whole lot of other uses for coconut oil!!!!!

Have a great weekend my friend....

Angel said...

huh?

awwww, I love ya Dog...all the differnet "Dogs"!!

tavolini said...

and wax poetic ;)

Marjie said...

...and I'm just thinking about all the stuff I need to cook in the next week...

Anette said...

I've tried several times to put a comment on this splendid post but I kept getting kicked out! I've seen your tendencies to use your ingredients with great variation, so this doesn't surprise me at all. And the "nobody gets more tired of me than me" part, is my own sentiment exactly!

Joy said...

Well, that was our moment of zen, wasn't it? So of course I like this post!

I have some food-grade coconut oil but have never known what to do with it. You can put it on popcorn, too?

Christo Gonzales said...

mandi: I was briefly kidnapped by something called 'emotion' but dont worry I escaped!

beth: thanks betharooni - I love you too!

tavolini: all the coconut oil made me way too 'waxxy'

marjie: you have a lot on your plate -so to speak - how many are you expecting?

anette: it does get tough - this felt like the longest week for some reason..

joy: use it in the pan -when you make popcorn in a pan the old fashioned way - it adds a unique flavor.

Chef E said...

I ask for extra sauce, and I got it, not the kind I was thinking of, but I will bath in your words, and as my body becomes coated with the waxy oil wisdom...I can only hope that it will be the ingredient that is needed to help me woo my captive audience tonight...

Angel said...

and I wanted to say that I LOVE the post title for the pot pie!!!

buffalodick said...

Favorite Yogi Quote- "None of of us is as good as all of us"... Teamwork, respect, truth- all rolled into one!

Darius T. Williams said...

wax nostalgic?

Really?

Wow

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Christo Gonzales said...

chef e: either that or 'slip' by

beth: so full of love today

buff: he said so many great and funny things...

darius t: yeah go figure...I must've had a grandma cookie last night without knowing it...

CreativeMish said...

Some interesting info you have here today!!

Angel said...

Dog, your package is going out, first thing in the morning....we'll see how long it takes to get to you!

Hope it fits... :/

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww! Everyone gets nostaligic around the holidays!

Spin said...

I love the holidays.
Bring on the coconut oil.

Anonymous said...

See I knew everyone would love this gooey post! Glad you put it up!

Anndi said...

You smell like coconuts? Mmmmmmm

"Put de lime in de coconut, and drink 'em both up."

Chef E said...

Beth- if that is what I think it is, he had better post a pic of himself showing off...nah, he will...

Kirstin said...

You've been using coconut oil as a moisturizer since the eighties? Do you have to de-glaze occasionally with lime juice

Unknown said...

Haha! :) I'm loving this post

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow such a wondeful post... I used to ask my husband to lend his wine collection so I could abthe in that I know it is crazy but I know abt obssessions tooo...

Christo Gonzales said...

michelle: I guess I dont have to post food everytime..

beth: eagerly waiting...

TBD: its true..

Christo Gonzales said...

spin: it doesnt work like 'that' its solidifies in the cold too

anndi: yup - sweet smell of coconuts

chef e: you know I will

Christo Gonzales said...

kirstin: thats funny but in the summer I used to rub lime juice in my hair to make it shine and get lighter..

nirvana: groovy man groovy

ramya: well that would be something if you could bathe in wine..

Chef E said...

OMG, rubbing lime juice, we used to use lemon water to get highlights, and someone told me to rub butter into my fair and freckle skin to get a tan, yeah right...I cooked and stunk for a week...

Maggie said...

OOoo, beauty tips!

I started buying the extra virgin coconut oil to try and use it in place of margarine. My little brat can taste it in a lot of things but we both love it for popcorn. It does give you that movie theater taste!

Gina said...

Doesn't all the coconut oil make you ....well slippery?


lol

Anonymous said...

Oooooooo la la!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin