Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

not average



This is most certainly not your average chile. I have had all kinds of chiles, white chiles, poblano chiles, mexican chiles, chiles from other places, olympic chiles - your neighbors chiles pretty chiles pretty much ALL kinds of chiles and the one 'unifying' factor here is YOU all make your own - chili- good ol'fashioned home cooked chili - it has beans or it doesnt it goes on fries or its with a hot dog or fritos - it doesnt matter its chili. I eat chili with hot dogs all the time. Chile is the fruit itself. I eat this fruit almost every day in some form or another, ususally as chile. Today its Pueblo Style. I learned this one when I was probably 19 or so when I went to the home of one of my classmates from UNM and her husband was from my local pueblo. Turns out I knew him, not really, our grandmothers knew each other (I am only 9 or ten at this point) and his grandmother knew my grandmother. Well my grandmother knew his grandmother and they sent my dad to her pueblo stand when I was around 10 to buy blue corn meal, blue corn meal that we would take home and make delicious atole - thats how I remembered him the blue corn meal stand guy. Anyway this woman in my poetry class in college seemed to stand out and since we stood out together we became friends. She invited me to her home. Her husband was my grandmothers friends grandson. She married the blue corn meal stands grandson, I couldnt believe it. Yup me and this guy were grandsons in law or something like that. We went to his house a few times for dinner and I learned how to make chile his way, as a balance he also knows my way, just in case it seemed like you were wondering. Small World it is in New Mexico.

Pueblo Chile

dried chile that has been soaked in hot water.
rehydrated mushrooms that you found last winter
fresh corn from the cob from this year
meat (pork neckbone in this case)
fresh local tomatoes
garlic
onions
salt
pepper

Cook the meat till crispy then add the garlic and rehydrated chile well chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients and the ingredients and sediment from the liquid used to rehydrate the dried things then cover in water or broth if you have it and simmer for one hour.



huala its chile! (thats voila for you Deb)

Serve Your Favorite Way.

Oh, I forgot, that chile, that red chile way up there is so busting hot that it is.......well too hot and we didnt use it.

19 comments:

monica said...

I am your opposite. I cannot stand the hotness of chiles...I have tried so many times-as a lot of people love them, and they are good for a.o. your digestion.. But alas... Have a bunch of them, dried, looking good in a pile on a white plate on my kitchen shelf... Your cooking looks delicious though!

buffalodick said...

That looked pretty tasty! Some peppers really can be too hot...

Unknown said...

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I LOVE chilli, and yes, I really like it on hotdogs, with cheese and onions! YUM!

Dave said...

That looks like epic chili. I just ganked the recipe & I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks.

C. said...

I love chili. I love spice. I love hot. I love the scents that fill the kitchen when chili is bubbling. I love dipping crunchy bread in to the sauce and wiping the drippings from my chin.

Some food is sin.

deb said...

Looks like a 'Hot'-tub of fun. Do you add the corn for sweetness to offset the spicy? Or for texture? I'm always funny about corn 'in' things until I try it then most of the time I end up enjoying it.

Tanya Kristine said...

ooh. i love the new look!

Christo Gonzales said...

monica: I dont like it to be killer hot - just a nice kick.

buff: and some people like them that way...they love the burn.

bina: you can say it over and over again and I will never tire

dave: your welcome - I hope I see it on your blog

claudia: dang - that and a wife beater and its sinful heaven

deb: the recipe is styled after my native american friends recipe - the pueblo people add corn and tomatoes..

TK: thanks I didnt think you would ever notice....

tavolini said...

Looks good! You know, I've never put mushrooms in my chili before--what a sheltered life I've led!

I weighed in on the cilantro debate you and Buff have going ;)

Michelle Ann said...

Craig and I are growing some Thai and Filipino chilies...we would love to share. It would be so cool to have you post a recipe that you made with my chilies...

taiandcue@yahoo.com

Anette said...

It looks nose-drippingly good!!
And with all the thunder and rain I'm having tonight, I'd love a big serving of it!

Romance said...

I love the hotness of chiles... I love all things peppery, burning and spicy... I used get these fantastic branches of hot little red chiles still on their branches and make searingly hot beans...

I recently ordered all kinds of fantastic dried chile peppers from a spice house and made amazing concoctions...

CreativeMish said...

I love the hotness! but not so hot that it blocks out the other flavors. This looks fabulous! Have you written a book yet?

Christo Gonzales said...

tavolini: I often use the mushrooms instead of meat

michelle ann: I will trade - no problem.

anette: it is/was....

zombie: I cant wait to see what you come up with..

michelle: no not yet - its on my list

Mandi said...

Hmmmmmmm, thats all I can say

Anonymous said...

Ooooo Love the new "look"!
Smoking!

Joy said...

I like the new look for your blog, too. My problem is that when people change things I can't remember what it looked like before. Out of sight, out of mind?

I love chili but don't like it very hot. I like spicy complex tastes but am a wimp about hotness that keeps me from tasting the food and makes my tongue burn. This recipe looks delicious, and I'm going to try it.

deb said...

ha ha . Just saw that! Touche

Tanya Kristine said...

and waa laaaa!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin