Pages

Saturday, August 09, 2008

its a luau



Well not really a luau its just pork ribs wrapped in banana leaves and cooked ever so slowly on a barbeque grill.



The ribs sat in a bath of fresh garlic, chile, sugar, salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic from a jar (thus including vinegar) garlic powder, onion powder and olive oil for 10 hours,



before they were wrapped in the banana leaves and then aluminum foil whereby they then rested in the fridge another 24 hours. Fold over and then over and then wrap tightly in foil.



These are the rib tips and the trimmings that received the same pampering



Two hours on medium to low heat on a covered grill produce the juiciest, most tasty ribs you will ever eat.




I like to unwrap them at the end and then crispy them up a little straight on the grill. You can shake the bone right out of them...trust me (if not I will post a video of the 'shake')

16 comments:

Angel said...

OHMYGODDOG!!!!!

My boys would LOVE to live at your house!!!! Ribs and boys just go together, doncha think? ;)

Oh, and the corn? Looks great!!!!

Joy said...

Oh yes, they sound wonderful! That and the corn would be heavenly!

C. said...

I'll have to cook those for the meat eaters in my circle of friends some BBQ. They'll worship me.

buffalodick said...

Looked and sounded excellent!

Spin said...

Yummy yummy! Reminds me of the days with my X. He lived if Hawaii for many years. Originally from New England. We would roast the whole pig in the ground with a bunch of goodies stuffed inside the pig. Really hard to find banana leaves in our area. I believe we ended up using corn husk. Just not the same.

Christo Gonzales said...

beth: ribs and mouths go together - its like wings - hand food.

joy: sound like the fixin's for a party

dragon: and while your at it press some tofu under heavy weights and then freeze it with some bbq sauce - thaw and press again and you should have a tough and chewy tofu delight all ready for grilling....

buff: I was channling the south seas islander that lives in all of us...

spin: LOVE the whole pig...that sounds tasty

CreativeMish said...

I was just watching a show on ribs the other day..I'll be getting some out of the freezer and trying this. The trick is find a place to buy the banana leaves.

Spin said...

Lets all get together and have a BIG end of the season BBQ. Now that sounds like a lot fun! smile

Anette said...

I love the colours of that!

HAR said...

I can taste them.

Determined said...

love the banana leaves taste!

deb said...

i love ribs and when you crust them up at the end they're like candy! mmmm ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my Lord! Those look so freaking good! And dang, I didn't know you could buy banana leaves like that! I need to find some of those for my pork I make.

I will HAVE to try this sometime, IF I can find those darn banana leaves!

tavolini said...

wow--looks amazing!

I've never cooked using banana leaves, but my old roommate cooked a few meals with them. She would bring the banana leaves from the tree from her parent's house in New Orleans. I didn't know you could get them store.

Tanya Kristine said...

ribs are so gross and yet so tasty.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I love anything stuffed in banana leaves!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin