Pages

Monday, June 23, 2008

chiles rellenos

The image “http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/cubanellepepper.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

What's a chile relleno? Well its a stuffed pepper literally. I like to make these in a variety of ways from simple with only cheese to not so simple with a meat and ricotta stuffing. Remember, I made these last year. Today they are not so simple. I have been craving squash blossoms and I dont have any so I decided I would make the same filling that I would use for the blossoms and instead fill a roasted cubanelle pepper. I roasted and peeled some peppers. I made a stuffing out of some ground meat that was sauteed with garlic, onions, fresh oregano and pepper. I let this cool and mixed in some ricotta and parmesean cheese and one egg. Peppers were stuffed with this mixture, floured and then battered with a tempura style batter that had some spicy dried green chile powder that was sifted with the flour, this will add a little kick since these peppers are in the sweet family. Drizzle a little red chile sauce over the top and a little grate of cheese and this will have to suffice until I get my hands on some squash blossoms!



Roasted



Stuffed



Cooked



Lucious filling.

16 comments:

CreativeMish said...

yummy! do you want to be my personal chef??

C. said...

Darling, you rock. Why do you NOT have a restaurant...open one and I will come be your Hostess....you are amazing. AMAZING. If I were not married I would so be courting you right now, you know that right...?? * hugs * You rock C., hard and fierce.

Mandi said...

Simply sensational!!!!

Determined said...

They look like they could be very hot and spicy!

By the way, like your new look!

Kitt said...

Yum! One of my favorite Mexican/New Mexican foods. I particularly like a version stuffed with butternut squash and goat cheese. MMmmmmmmm.

buffalodick said...

When I go to a Mexican restaurant, if rellenos are on the menu- that's what I always will order! Fried, cheesy, and spicy- what more could anyone want? Your version looks great, and yes, I can appreciate all the work in those!

Christo Gonzales said...

michelle: logistically it may be a little difficult

claudia: you are so friggin' nice....how is that possible?

mandi: simply thanks...

solaris: they could be but these are not...slight spice but mostly flavor

Kitt: now thats a fantastic combination I will be trying soon

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: you must've commented while I was responding....there is a little work in these but I have made them so many times I whip right through it....I even order these at the chain places where it probably isnt the best thing on the menu....

urban vegan said...

You quiero los rellenos! (Sin queso, of course).

I think a lot of people think they are spicier than they actually are.

Anndi said...

If today wasn't a holiday here (which means grocery stores are insane) I'd have to go out and get the fixins to make this... maybe tomorrow.

Seriously, I agree with Claudia. You should host a cooking show or get your own place... I'll drive to NY to eat your food.

(Love the new pic also - gosh darn you're adorable)

Unknown said...

Oh my God that looks good, and I never thought I would say that!

I have a question. The wedding I went to on Sunday and these DELICIOUS things that I found out were called Empanadas. They had chicken, jalapinos, red pepper and cream cheese (so I was told). I looked on the internet and found some that had fruit or ham, but not chicken. Do you have any idea how to make these? Okay, so you are a chef, I'm not, so make it fairly easy, okay?

Angel said...

Dawg....killin me.....just killin me

C. said...

Oh darling, I am not always nice...trust me. * giggles *

Tanya Kristine said...

whoa...that looks awesome.

Lore said...

I really like stuffed peppers but I've never tried this kind of filling. It looks great!

Chef E said...

oh, now you have gone and done the worst thing to me, food torture! I cannot get good tex-mex here in NJ, so I always have to cook it myself, and now I will have to go back to the market...your so bad!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin