Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

mixes

I have so many things going on in my little culinary spice shack that I lose track of them. I have vinegars that I started in '88 for example. I have a beautiful white 'mother' and an equally lovely red 'mother' the best thing is the white wine mother just emerged in the last few months - it took years.

[mar8christo0052.JPG]

I have this crock that I got from a mom of a friend from france complete with its own 'mother'. (the mother was in an old jelly jar in the bottom with the instructions in french from the crock maker - the gift giver translated them loosely and rubber banded these instructions around her mother jar and that was a couple years ago at least) We have way too much vinager. Isnt that the case though that if you are really using the things you consume then you end up with a lot of by-product. We have had some unused wine in our lives.



Pepper. Gotta have tons of pepper of all kinds. My pepper grinder has a mix of white, black and schezuan peppercorns.



The freezer has banana leaves and my cabinet has truffle oil.

And this is only a small little tiny taste.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.

A Girl From Texas said...

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for the inspiration. I made a beautiful banana apricot smoothie with soy milk this evening. It was a very tasty treat. I drank it too quickly to take a photo but one of the things that really amazed me was how creamy it was.

C. said...

Tell me more about the banana leaves!!

Mandi said...

These are very interesting items, and probably the reason why you can create so many wonderful things. I have to agree sea salt and cracked pepper are my favorites, I just LOVE cracked pepper. Funnily enough no one else in my family does....

deb said...

where did you find the banana leaves? I know Goya. We do not have a lot of specialty stores here in the burbs.

Christo Gonzales said...

super: I agree with you...bring it on..

a girl: hey the cruise is over....smoothies...a good answer.

claud: green and and full veins

mandi: introduce things slowly and change their names to something friendly.

deb: NYC you name it we got it!

Kitt said...

I covet that crock.

Emily said...

Wow. SO cool. I love the vinegar idea. I need to research how you do it.

buffalodick said...

You made me think of the vinegars I stock- white, red wine, cider, rice wine, balsamic, and champagne vinegar! The last one is incredibly good...

Unknown said...

I wish I had your experience and "no how" in cooking. I love to cook, but coming from a mother who NEVER cooked and being where I am, I guess I've done pretty well, but I'll never get to your level!

Angel said...

I bet your place smells GREAT...all. the. time! It's a wonder you and The Pup don't weigh 300 lbs!!!!

snowelf said...

I have very few spices, but I am all about the ground pepper! :) I always have that. I even own TWO pepper grinders. Admit it, you're impressed. ;) hehe

--snow

p.s. Yes, I think that was a bar joke! :D

Christo Gonzales said...

kitt:it is a Digoin http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.towels.co.uk/images/items/ictc/renault_th_vinegar_jar.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.towels.co.uk/asp/cat_page.asp%3Fcat%3D197&h=100&w=75&sz=3&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=LKclpfmx8A4BvM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=62&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddigoin%2Bvinegar%2Bcrock%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

emiline: it is really easy and you will enjoy learning about it

buff: same here (well I dont have champagne)I have two kinds of balsamic one that I have nurtured for years and years

bina: I am self taught...my mom always made the same kinds of things so I learned to make others

Beth: it smells alright...LOL I think our combined weight is close to 300

snow: salt and pepper are all you really need...

Kitt said...

Trying very hard not to add that to my eBay watch list.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin