Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wild Alaskan Salmon


W
ild salmon from Alaska is like no other salmon on earth, it is rich in color, rich in flavor and rich in texture. Every time I get my hands on some fillets I am beyond thrilled. Dont get me wrong I can get some really good salmon, in fact I often get sushi grade salmon that has a much higher fat content and if you dont know you will now - fat equals flavor, but the lean firmness of the wild salmon is unique on its own. Throw in a few quail eggs and some wasabi and its a party.



Lightly broiled and wrapped up in seasoned rice and nori makes this a snack I dont mind serving my son often, and its one of his favorites.



I love the inside out roll the most, there is something so appealing about the rice on the outside and then sprinkle a few black sesame seeds and its all together different.



Add a few thinly sliced carrots and cucumber and some "crab" and its party time! I picked up some of that "crab" that they sell at the grocery store, you know the colored, pressed and processed haddock that is shaped to look like crab? Let me set the record straight - this is the first and last time I get this stuff, its ok, but I dont want ok - I want great.



Not everyone is going to want to have the raw yolk from the quail egg but thats fine with me.



Here is a short clip I made a couple of years ago but I have honed my skills a little more and maybe I should do an updated version. (read that as I dont know how I let this one pass to begin with - I am doing it all backasswards.)

24 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Yea, that pretend crab is for the bird. Much rather have that wonderful wild Alaskan salmon too. And quail eggs - that's something I've been wanting to cook with for some time now. Your sushi skills are outstanding!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Those are beautiful! I love salmon rolls..

Angie's Recipes said...

You are really good at making sushi! They look very pretty.

Anonymous said...

How come when I try to make sushi they turn out looking horrible? Damn you & your sushi-rolling skills!

Alaskan salmon is by far the best (& not to mention the must sustainable) salmon. Bravo dude!

Cooking Rookie said...

Wow- they look so good :-)

Anette said...

So beautiful! Even though raw fish scares me a little, I think I would try these!

Tangled Noodle said...

I have the mat, the nori, the rice - I'm ready to roll! This is great inspiration, although I wish I could have one or two pieces of your inside out rolls.

vanillasugarblog said...

nice rolling dog! i am not so good at it. and yes i will eat the quail egg.
very nice!!

Cynthia said...

This is what I like about wrapping anything, once cut, it is always so darn beautiful and yes, appetizing.

Lea Ann said...

The first time we ever had sushi, I made my husband eat a raw quail egg! He lived through it. Your sushi looks fabulous.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

oh that is so pretty ... never tried rolling my own (ahem). But would love to try

Jenn said...

Mmmm...I love salmon. It's definitely one of the rolls I have to make when i do my sushi week. Thank for reposting the "how-to"

Pam said...

Yum! I love salmon and wish I was having that for dinner tonight. You certainly have it down pat on how to make sushi! Very appealing!

chow and chatter said...

wow this is so cool great clip impressive and your right can't beat good salmon

Melody said...

My husband walked in as I was looking at this post a few hours ago. Guess what he made for dinner? Sushi! It was his first attempt and it turned out pretty darn good. I think it was that big bowl of wasabi that got him motivated.

Heff said...

Man that looks good ! You're dangerous in the kitchen !

CreativeMish said...

It's almost as good as Wild Idaho Steelhead! :) Which are running right now in the Salmon River.. Wanting to go catch one really bad...

Vickie said...

Look at you, with your video instruction! I'm very impressed. I love the rolls with carrots - very pretty!

I'm a huge fan of line-caught wild salmon that you find around these parts. Fabulous!

Laura said...

SO. DAMNED. SICK. OF. SALMON. Send red meat soon. I will never dipnet 57 reds again.

Devaki said...

Dear Christo - Hats off to you as you not only have ventured into the world of sushi, you have conquered it!

I belong to the world of sushi eaters & not sushi makers because I am convinced that I will be mediocre at best. And since mediocrity pisses me off, its best I stay away from sushi making.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed your post and it was a treat for the senses.

I also cannot thank you enough for taking the time to actually visit my blog, read an enormous article & write a kind comment.

So very much appreciated! :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Cucinista said...

I'll tell what what impressed me the most -- above and beyond the perfect "crab" rolls, great photos, and mad sushi skills -- is that you manage to crack a quail's egg and get the yolk intact onto the top of your roll. I can barely get one of those little suckers open without making scrambled quail egg.

Kathleen said...

Homemade sushi is wonderful. I love that you make this for your son! Good daddy points!!!!

Table Talk said...

This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy the rich buttery flavor of Alaskan salmon. Pretty much craving sushi rolls now...with lots of wasabi.

Magic of Spice said...

Great tutorial :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin