Pages

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

hey marco polo....


You are going to need a passport because this post is all over the planet. I have been making some lunches lately that rival any thing out there and the more the envelope gets pushed the more the results vary and improve. Who says you cant have Italian and Asian flavors on one plate? And if you want to get technical its just chicken and rice anyway.



I started the day before by soaking some morel mushrooms....



and marinating some chicken skewers. The chicken skewers were made from the ground chicken I mentioned in yesterdays post and the marinade was a delicious honey, soy and ginger concoction with sesame seeds - can you see the influence on this?




The mushrooms were then chopped up and they went into the risotto along with a chicken broth base and fresh thyme.



Risotto is so creamy on its own nothing else is really needed and the woodsy earthy flavor of the morel mushrooms made this a dish I wanted to - well - scarf!



The skewers were grilled and the risotto was plated with the steaming hot chicken and I threw my arms up in the air waiting for the judges decision.

25 comments:

Sortachef said...

Wow, I didn't know you could pack so much goodness into such a dish. Three of my alltime favorites in one place. Thanks!

Elliott said...

Love morels, need to find them in dried form again since they're so hard to come by fresh. In a risotto, alongside grilled lamb? Even better. Oooh, ideas are brewing...

Ciao Chow Linda said...

That's one beautiful looking plate of food.

Tangled Noodle said...

This was lunch?! I had crackers and cashew butter . . . I'm feeling seriously inadequate and awfully hungry after seeing this delicious meal.

Jill said...

A perfect 10

Stella said...

This looks really good and like a bit of work too. I am sure it was worth it. That skewer looks scrumptious.

Christo Gonzales said...

sorta: hey with a bigger plate I can add a few more

elliot: I try and find them every year and I come up empty handed -

linda: thanks - oh and hey those ice formations have stuck in my mind

tangled: you have cashew butter - I want some!

jill: thanks jill - did you eat that pasta and is the leopard print in YOUR closet?

stella: it wasnt any work at all really...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm totally for Italian-Asian fusion, it definitely works! Mmm... morels!

Christina said...

I don't even like mushrooms and I want to scarf down this dish! You really outdid yourself, it looks so beautiful and creative!

Lauren said...

yum! I love mushrooms in risotto anf those morels looks great!

vanillasugarblog said...

well done chef!
i love the texture of those funky mushrooms.

Christo Gonzales said...

5 star: I could have handled a little middle east thrown in just for fun

christina: to convert a non mushroomer is a feat I can be proud of.

LK: tasty like no other - check out marx foods they are looking for bloggers to review things - tell them I sent you

dawn: thank-you but I have to say you kicked banana cheesecake to the moon - kudos to you too chef!

Velva said...

God, that looks good. It's a simple , beautiful meal.

Reeni said...

What a fancy smancy looking lunch! All I had was a boring ole turkey sandwich...

Faith said...

This looks like it was a delicious fusion dish! I love the marinade on those chicken skewers!

Jenn said...

Chicken, mushrooms and risotto. I can't of a better combination than that.

bunkycooks said...

I want an invitation to lunch at your place! Sometimes I have natural pb on a cracker at my house! Fancy mushrooms and chicken...I am impressed!

Kathleen said...

Wow! This looks like a whole lot of yum on one plate!

sophia said...

Wheee!!! I love your Asian-European fusion dish! That's the kind of "cuisine" I make all the time! Who says you can't blend Asian with italian, indeed!

Vickie said...

Chicken skewers good, risotto good, morels good . . . I think you hit it out of the park with this lunch! I love mixing it up like that and think it's fun that we live in a world where we can.

Angie's Recipes said...

Morels risotto...you have a very active foodie life!

chow and chatter said...

do you a risotto recipe I want to make my first one!!
Rebecca

teresa said...

i would definitely call that plate scarf worthy, wow, delicious!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love morel mushrooms. My dad and I always went in the forest looking for them. They are the best!

Jill said...

The leopard is in his closet.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin