Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

bbq in brooklyn


Where do I begin, well I will begin at the same place I left off - liquid smoke. I guess I havent told you enough how much I cant stand the stuff, in fact I am a little put off by a lot of chemicals and dont get me started on medications I refuse to take. ( I am not prescribed any but if I was I would refuse)


Since the Earth is bi-polar then it must be OK for everyone else, just kidding I am not bi-polar I am like quad-polar or septo-polar, I am so polarized I am a big circle.


Oh see - I lost track that I was talking about liquid smoke.


Smoke - its even spelled in a nauseating way like "smoque" or something and if it isnt it should be.


W
here am I going with this should be obvious -


Did EVERYONE use liquid smoke because it sure tasted like it and if they didnt the ones that did ruined it for the rest in my book and if no one did then shame on me for being so damn sensitive to smoke!


It sounds like I had a bad time but I didnt it was a lot of fun to be a part of this American Institution called the "barbecue cook-off" though I think perhaps my delicate palate is no place for this kind of essence at least its no place for liquid smoke - sorry guys!


I guess this is where the polars kick in because even though I did get a little queasy I am going to follow through with this and become both a NEBS (new england bbq society) judge and a KCBS (kansas city bbq society) judge with my first class in Norwalk, CT on May 2nd.

Winners from Grillin’ on the Bay 2010
Fish
1. Blazin’ Buttz BBQ
2. Metab
arbecue Girl
3. 2 Fat Pollocks
4. XX Factor
5. Pearl Lee Q’s
6. Rib’s Within
7. I Smell Smoke
8. Uncle Jed’s
9. Purple Turtle Catering
10. Beer Belly Porkers

Chicken
1. Wildwood Bbq
2. Purple Turtle Catering
3. Smokehouse Rules
4. Heavy Metal Beach Bum BBQ
5. Beer Belly Porkers
6. XX Factor
7. Rib’s Within
8. Blazin’ Buttz BBQ
9. Burnt Side Down
10. A Grill Smokes in Brooklyn

Pork Ribs
1. iQue
2. Better BBQ Bureau
3. Smoke in da Eye
4. Smokehouse Rules
5. Blazin’ Buttz BBQ
6. 2 Fat Pollocks
7. Jacked Up BBQ
8. Uncle Jed’s
9. I Smell Smoke
10. FUHGEDDABOUTIT

Chef’s Choice
1. Purple Turtle Catering
2. Ed-’Que–Cators
3. Beer Belly Porkers
4. XX Factor
5. Smokeopolis BBQ
6. Blazin’ Buttz BBQ
7. Smokehouse Rules
8. Rib’s Within
9. Ma’s Que Crew
10. Smoke in Da Eye

Best Overall
1. Blazin’ Buttz BBQ
2. Purple Turtle Catering
3. Smokehouse Rules
4. Better BBQ Bureau
5. Rib’s Within
6. Smoke in da Eye
7. Wildwood Bbq
8. Beer Belly Porkers
9. Smokeopolis BBQ
10. 2 Fat Pollocks

Brooklyn Chili Smack Down
1. Wildwood Bbq
2. The Moose is Loose BBQ
3. Virgil’s BBQ

26 comments:

buffalodick said...

Liquid smoke is actually a natural product, but too much lends a bitter taste to whatever it is on..

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: it is? it tasted like crap!

Jenn said...

I've never tried liquid smoke. I've seen it in several places though. Interesting. How lucky are you to taste such a wide variety of BBQ with or without the liquid smoke. Yum!!!

theUngourmet said...

I don't think I've ever tried liquid smoke. If I see it in a recipe I just omit it. Maybe that's just plain wrong???

Looks like a whole lotta goodness! :P

Christo Gonzales said...

jenn: it was a cool experience

theUN: wrong to omit it or wrong that it was in the recipe? It was pretty cool to be there though.

SmokeInDaEye said...

Glad you were able to come check out GOTB, though I sure as heck didn't use any liquid smoke! To be clear, teams were required to turn in a minimum of six separate portions in ribs, chicken, fish and chefs choice (open), not one for each judge. Entries were 45 minutes apart and were judged by six judges on taste, appearance and texture/tenderness. Hope that helps and definitely try out the judging thing!

Christo Gonzales said...

smoke: thanks for the clear up info - and you are right they were staggered 45 minutes apart....

snugs said...

liquid smoke IS crap!!
why does this post say "there is supposed to be a picture here" three times? I wanna see the pictures!!

Marjie said...

Well, it might look like you had a bad time but if you're doing it again, it couldn't have been awful! I lived in Norwalk as a kid (3 separate times, I think, but it might have been 4). Haven't been back since 1985. Probably been a lot of bulldozers there since then.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I have no real hatred of liquid smoke, but it is just a cheat. Can be used right and add to a dish, but so does the proper cooking method. File me under the group that does not ever use it

The Diva on a Diet said...

Very, very cool about the BBQ judging classes, dogg!

The event does sound like fun ... but I'm not down with liquid smoke either. Blech, I can't stand the stuff.

vanillasugarblog said...

i'm not a fan of liquid smoke either, tastes chemically.
why didn't we get food shots in the video? we need to have a talk with your director. stat

Lea Ann said...

A couple of scants of liquid smoke adds a beautiful brown and subtle senuous flavor to a beef or turkey gravy. Again, let me stress "scant"

Sippity Sup said...

Look at all those big green eggs, just like Chris has at Nibble Me This!! GREG

♥peachkins♥ said...

There's a liquid smoke??? Gosh, where am I hiding?

citronetvanille said...

Hmm I am so ignorant about BBQ, quite informative post, never heard of liquid smoke, now I am curious...

The Duo Dishes said...

As Southerners, it's hard to identify the Northeast with good bbq. :) But it's to be believed if all of those folks came together to smoke it up. Mmmm bbq...

jesse said...

One of my friends from Indonesia was begging for some liquid smoke from LA... I've never even heard of it before, but you managed to make it sound absolutely revolting!!

tavolini said...

Nice--it does look like fun! I share your aversion for liquid smoke. Feels funny in my nose.

Stacey Snacks said...

I hate liquid smoke too, but even worse is lighter fluid.
Our neighbors who have a CHARCOAL GRILL! (they won't think of using propane...) use lighter fluid to get their fire going EVERY NIGHT in the summer! IT STINKS and I told them to please knock it off.
Welcome to the suburbs!

bunkycooks said...

I'm with you on the liquid smoke. Barfo! I used it one time many years ago for fajitas and then promptly tossed it out. It just ain't right! Your event looked like fun anyway.

Mo Diva said...

Looks like you did some GOOD eating!
man, im kinda jealous! but thanks for letting me live vicariously thru your photos!

Bob said...

Yeah, liquid smoke is totally natural. America's Test Kitchen did an article on it a while back, went so far as to make some themselves.

I use liquid smoke, you just need to be careful about how you use it. Plus I don't have access to a grill or smoker, if I did I wouldn't bother with it.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm with you. I don't like liquid smoke either. I was surprised to see how many green eggs there were. Those things must really be popular.
Sam

Anonymous said...

This does look like a lot of fun. I have never even heard of liquid smoke, so I'll take your word for it. I like the names of the teams that competed...very creative : )

Diana H said...

I don't like liquid smoke either, but what about smoke from wood chips, do you like them? I thought about trying them. Gas grills don't give a barbecue taste like the briquets, but I'm not a big fan of fake briquet taste.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin