Pages

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Fennel butter guest post



Just in case you didnt make it over to MarxFoods earlier in the week to check this post out I will show it to you now.

Fennel pollen is so rich and aromatic that it can hardly be compared to fennel the fresh vegetable. Immediately upon smelling it I knew I was going to have to make a compound butter out of some and have it on a nicely aged Angus steak.



Compound butter is easy to make. In this case I took a few ounces of salted butter and a teaspoon of fennel pollen and mixed it together until it was completely incorporated. Roll the butter up in some plastic wrap and refrigerate to harden.



I took a perfectly aged steak and made sure it was dried off before I put it in hot grill pan for a few minutes on each side since I like mine pretty rare.



Grilled to my liking I let it rest a bit.



Then I put two nice slices of my fennel pollen butter and let it melt and do its magic. I also sprinkled a little more fennel pollen on the steak.



This is the easiest way I can think of to turn an ordinarily great steak into an extraordinarily fantastic steak. The fennel pollen mixed into the butter and also sprinkled on the steak was so out of this world tasty that even though this was more than a 12 ounce steak I could have easily eaten more simply for the flavor.

15 comments:

Lauren said...

that's one huge steak!!! I've heard great things about fennel pollen, but have never tried it. Sounds interesting with the beef.

Cynthia said...

Stop holding out on us - cut the steak! The post and photographs beg that the next progression should be that of slicing the steak! :)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

love this idea.

Jenn said...

I'm drooling over that nicely cooked steak. *droooool* The butter just puts it over the top.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah..I'm a steak kind of girl.

Cooking Rookie said...

Looks so delicious!

Christo Gonzales said...

lk: you need to try fennel pollen its really great - especially if you like fennel

cynthia: it was very rare so I spared everyone who might be squeamish

linda: its a winner

jenn: way over the top

christine: thats a good way to be -

rookie: that isnt even the half of it

Christina said...

Wow!!! Nice steak post! Love the compound butter touch! Don't you just LOVE grill pans?!

Kathleen said...

Yum! Compound butter on a nice steak. Life doesn't get much better!

Marjie said...

I don't know many men who couldn't eat more than 12 ounces of a well prepared steak!

Joie de vivre said...

Oh....wow. Does fennel pollen smell like fennel?

Nutmeg Nanny said...

OMG that steak looks awesome! So thick and delicious. I love my meat rare too. It's sad I could probably just eat it raw...haha. I love that fennel butter too...yum!

Angel said...

oh baby....i know you have to cook me a steak now!!! that's just how I like me steaks...I want it to "moo" a little bit when I cut into it! ;)

looks yummy Dog!

Mhel said...

That's a huge slab of meaty goodness!! Im already drooling!!

CreativeMish said...

This looks so good, I think I'll get some steak out for tonight. I'm not sure If I've ever had fennel.. I know.... a sheltered life :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin