Pages

Monday, January 07, 2008

dehydrate



Red chile powder, black pepper, garlic powder and salt.



Seasoned meat and cookie press.



Jerky strips




4 hours later its ready.

Santa gave me a food dehydrator for christmas. I know it sounds jerky but hey. Two of my cousins went hunting and they each bagged an elk so there was plenty of it to go around. I used three pounds of ground elk to make these batches. I actually used two dehydrators each filled this full, had to, elk is hard to come by in NYC.



4 big bags of chile each with its own flavor and degree of heat, each from a different part of New Mexico, my folks take chile seriously.

7 comments:

Angel said...

dog, I am loving all your pictures!!! they are beautiful, esp. the sunsets.

and my one kid LOVES deer jerky....loves, loves, loves it. and that stuff is expensive! I would think that dehydrator would come in handy....

more pictures!!

buffalodick said...

That looks like an American Harvest, (or whoever owns them now) dehydrator! Elk jerky? Wow!

Barrie said...

You made elk jerky? How exotic! Have you ever tried ostrich jerky?

urban vegan said...

I'm so jealous--not only do I want a dehydrator; I also want the room to store one.

Christo Gonzales said...

beth: look around yard sales or ebay...its worth it.

Buffalo: you can spot your dehydrators

Barrie: I would love to try some ostrich jerky

Urban Vegan: I am going to make some tofu jerky in your honor.

Lara Croft said...

This post makes me want to give up meat !

FHB said...

Mmmmmmm, I LOVES me some Jerkey.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin