Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ho Hum

There is really not much to open up about, my childhood was great and filled with fun times in the rural river valley of middle New Mexico less than a mile from the Rio Grande. (are you reading huge garden with corn, melons, berries and tomatoes, chile and squash, as well as fruit trees and other edible growing things.)We had a farm with the usual goats and chickens and sheep and a milk cow, a cat that ate mice and a dog that worked the animals. Some of my friends had horses so we rode horses a lot. My great grandmother made cheese from the goat and cows milk, my grandmother knew about all the medicinal weeds and things that grew everywhere and my grandfather could say words in french, german and the local indian dialect of tewa as well as his native spanish and english. I had access to the tractor as "my ride" starting at around 10 years old and I drove the pickup truck along the ditches and backroads since I was 13, so a manual transmission is in my blood so to speak. I always had matches and I was always cooking the various "game" that I had either caught or shot. Life went on like this for some time even after I entered college on an academic scolarship to stanford of which I rejected because it was based on race and quotas. So I ended up paying for my education myself as insisted upon by me to the local school - the university of new mexico - unm. I had a 3.5 gpa and was editor of the college art magazine and curator of the gallery.

Oh i FORGOT for two semesters or so (equals about a year and a half and minimum three bodies per day) I photographed dead bodies for the medical investigator of the state of NM as a work study job - only sucpicious deaths - It helped pay for school and most people "freaked" about the subjects. there is more to this story but I dont feel like typing.

This is so stupid to me.....what does any of this have to do with NOW? WE ALL have feathers to put in our caps, we have all done good things and bad things what is the point?

I live in NYC - I have lived here since 1985 I have worked for all the major record labels and various magazines as a stylist, art director or artist consultant - all freelance, I even did a staff stint at conde nast which was weird by itself. I have sold my face and body parts as a model for photos back when I was more athletic for bicycle magazines and assorted other sportsy things. I have hosted and performed in many poetry events resulting in a cabaret type show that did gigs all over the place including one silly little show in coney island and another for some italian guys with shiny suits and matching cars (this was a scary one). But like I said this means nothing now.

I have travelled quite a bit but I have never been to egypt or russia or a few other places as well, I was in morroco once for only a short time but I got so scared I had to leave right away it seemed like some creepy fellas that I had spotted in marseille had followed us to morroco and I was having none of that. I have been to most of the states except washington, alaska and hawaii.

I have been married once and divorced once. honesty is the best policy - i cheated on my my wife - if you really have to know. I then later went on a "baby mission" The result is that I have a child out of wedlock that lives with me. I have had several long term relationships and countless fleeting and meaningless relationships, I can remember everyone.

Now I cook. I invent recipes.... give me a taste and I can tell you whats in it.... I cant arrange food on a plate to save my soul.

Whats my point?

Feathers?

who knows...

14 comments:

buffalodick said...

Thanks for sharing, DogB. It's amazing where we went,where we go, and where we're going....

Angel said...

Dog, I love this post!!! I am learning so much about you! Stanford huh? Impressive...even more so cuz you turned it down and went your own way. You continue to amaze me every time I come here to read about your life.

Sold body parts huh?....hmmmmmm....get my mind out of the gutter! ;)

MommaMonkey said...

"The present is the necessary product of all the past, the necessary cause of all the future”
-Robert Green Ingersoll quotes

Wow, your past, though it may not mean anything to you now, sounds like a nice past to have. I always say, "I am who I am because of my past." It may not be all picture-perfect, but it is what it is. It seems like you took opportunities that many people only dream about. Good for you for taking those roads.

And as for the recipes...as long as they taste good, who cares about presentation? It all goes to the same place anyway, right?

Christo Gonzales said...

arms legs backs....come on now Beth...

BuffD: you got me thinking a while back when you mentioned your wifes situation and the general michigan situation and then you mentioned it again so I had to throw my hat in the ring too and believe me I have candy coated it in my post.

Chels-p: Ihave been more inspired by both the bloggers I like and those that like me as well as the opposite, probably more from the opposite since I like to get in it - when it comes to "present character" building blogworld has helped.

I am who I am now - though my past is the road that got me here, I still dont know where its going.

I have typically stayed away from groups, clubs or cliques and remain a loner 'sides my kid and my chick that is - so much that my old friends always ask me if I have any friends and I say "yeah, you guys" I always thought that was enough so to have engaged in the blog world on whatever level has been enormously cathartic to me

Little Wing said...

Doggy, why candy coat?

Christo Gonzales said...

candy coat? i could seriously describe a lot of gory details like you wish you saw on cnn...besides my "upstanding" persona I was very involved in things just not right- so to speak...that is a big part in me leraving NM...I was in too deep.

akakarma said...

Thanks for sharing! People are endlessly fascinating.

Mel said...

I love posts like that, thanks for sharing! Maybe I will do one like that but my past really is pretty boring.

I care nothing about food presentation, I just judge by taste :) I am kinda like my dogs that way LOL

Sunshine said...

Life has so many trails within it, it is endlessly fascinating to know where others have been.
A great post, good on you for being so open.

Todd Camplin said...

There is a book in this post.

Regine said...

You photographed dead bodies for the medical investigator of the state of NM as a work study job??now that is special.. i dont have a typical work besides school either.. i've worked in a debt collection agency-but photographed dead bodies is a winner in unusual study-jobs.

Interesting to read about your life - you described everything..your childhood and the farm so well that i am picturing it in my head.

Unknown said...

This was a great post. Love the dead body photography -- there's definitely a novel or an epic poem in there.

Anonymous said...

wow, so what job do you have now? all of these "impressive" past events must have paved a fantastic career for you now. stanford! my my, geez, to pass that up! based on your view of their "quotas" aren't you something. sometimes its better to use those things because they do end up in the past, and you should take advantage of them. oh well,glad youre impressed with yourself at least

Christo Gonzales said...

anon: you got that right

Blog Widget by LinkWithin