Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

lazy pickled peppers



I guess by now you can guess what I will post about, it is either chile, cheese or mushrooms. I make these pickled peppers all the time, they are great on nachos, pizzas, eggs or just about anything that craves that pickled pepper flavor; they could not be easier to make either.



We buy pepperoncinis often because the little guy eats them like candy and as a result we have empty jars full of pickle liquid. Not the wasteful sort I stuff these jars full of serrano and jalapeno peppers for the kicked up pepperoncini. It takes a week or so in the fridge before they start to pickle and they only get better with time - personally I like them when they are still a little crunchy.



Can you tell me what these are? If you said piñon you would be 100% correct. These are piñon from New Mexico and they are so sweet and delicious I just might try and make something out of some before I end up eating them all. My family sends me dried chiles and things from time to time and there was a piñon crop this year (it doesnt happen every year) so they sent me a couple of pounds of salted and slow roasted goodness.

14 comments:

CreativeMish said...

What a great idea for the pickle juice. My husband uses it occasionally for boiled eggs. I'm going to try the peppers next time!

Kitt said...

Nice nuts! I don't think I've ever had "fresh" piñons.

Christo Gonzales said...

michelle: it works great and after the peppers have soaked a while it gets spicy so whatever you put in it gets peppery

Kit: the best!

Marjie said...

Doggy Bloggy picked a peck of pickled peppers.

Not quite the same tongue-twister ring.

They're pretty, but I'm allergic. Glad you & the boy like them!

Unknown said...

Okay, you said the pickled peppers are easy to make, but you didn't tell us HOW to make them!

And no, I have never heard of those pinons? before. And Marjie stole me pickled pepper joke.

Oh well.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I have never had those nuts before, your blog tempts me more, shall definitely try them...

Angel said...

are those nuts????

Christo Gonzales said...

marjie: allergic? bummer - I am allergic to walnuts...

bina: did you get the part where I put them in the jar? Well, thats how you make them.

Ramya Vijaykumar: pine nuts, pignoli in Italian...

beth: they look like little brown rocks huh?

Anndi said...

I'd never thought of reusing pickle juice.

buffalodick said...

Love pickled Jalapenos! Pine nuts, fresh basil, grated Parmesan, olive oil= I love pesto!

tavolini said...

I have never heard of piñon. Is it a nut or a bean or something else?

I also like refrigerator pickles--I've never just thrown them in the juice, but that sounds smart!

Slip said...

Columbus Day! Plant the garlic! I dehydrated and ground my crop of scotch bonnets the last couple of days. Much easier to control their insane heat if you powder them up.
The bride is a pickling freak. My favorite is something she calls garbage mix! Cauli, small green tomatoes, carrots, garlic, dill, peppers, and anything else left over from the garden, all done up in a brine, one part water, four parts vinegar, and sea salt. Bowl the brine and lids, stuff the jars, pour on the boiling brine, screw on the lids, wait a couple of weeks and enjoy!

Christo Gonzales said...

tavolini: pine nuts - you have heard of them...try putting the pickle juice in the poaching water when you make poached eggs.... benedict was never so good.

slip: I would be putting bulbs all over if I only could...I live in the big apple remember

Joy said...

I've eaten pine nuts and have heard of pinon trees. I've read and seen many American Indian books and movies. I had some pine nuts just the other day actually. Quite good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin