Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2008

lazy and quick

Frittatas are my lazy way out of any breakfast situation. Unexpected, or even expected guests at breakfast have often if not always been fed frittatas in my domain. In fact I like frittatas, mostly, with a little hot mustard and a mixed green salad for lunch, but thats another post. Frittatas are like omelettes except they stay flat and are finished under the broiler. I was in a big hurry to skeedadle everyone out of the house today, the pup had a 'mom' day and banana had a certification to take and I have 'things' to do so it was a whirlwind of activity this morning, frittata was in order.



I cut some large onion rings from a crispy, spicy, yellow onion and I included a few slices from a large boiled potato in a skillet while I beat the eggs. Nicely browned and caramelized I poured in the eggs and sprinkled cooked bacon and fresh thyme over the top. I let this side cooked covered until lightly set, flipped it with a brutal flick of my wrist and grated a little aged gouda and sprinkled on some chevre, yes I still have some - I am almost done with that behemouth.



Lightly browned and a little puffy I cut it into wedges and served it with tomatoes and crusty baguette and butter - how can you beat it? You almost want a glass of wine to go with this tasty breakfast and if I could take a nap I would have had the wine!

20 comments:

Joy said...

I have a version of that sometimes for breakfast that I make for myself. Yes, I do!

Joy said...

Yours looks delicious! I meant to write that before.

Kitt said...

Fritattas rock. So quick and easy with whatever's at hand. As long as you have eggs, you're good to go.

buffalodick said...

I've done a sausage/cheese/onion version- but mine gets baked!

snowelf said...

I've never even ever heard of these!
How delicious do they look!!

--snow

Christo Gonzales said...

joy: thanks Joy and what is your version?

Kitt: thats right, now I wish I had chickens!

buffalo: baked the whole time, that must puff right up

snow: it could not be easier, if you cant fold an omelette this is the way to go

snugs said...

I love how even when you have your 'things' to do you feed the young pup oh so well..again, I feel sorry for that kids wife when he grows up- looks lovely as usual :)

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite meals! Can I have hot peppers on the side? ;)

Angel said...

yes, I still hate you and since you BEGGED me to come back and be your sidekick...I will...just to get you to stop begging already.

but only if you make me one of those sandwiches withe egg and all that good stuff....yum. and throw in one of these suckers too.

CreativeMish said...

Yum that does look good!~

Michelle Ann said...

Yum! Still on a goat cheese kick I see...

Christo Gonzales said...

snugs: a doggs gotta do what a doggs gotta do

maryann: yes you can, thats a great idea

beth: you dont come cheap thats a fo' sho'

michelle: and easy as falling off a fence...

Joy said...

Oh, I just put whatever I have that seems good to put in it. No special version - just variations on a theme. :-)

ayamlin said...

Hello doggybloggy !
This post looks very good but your previous post looks so incredible!
It must've been really goooooooood, right?
I wanna eat it!!

Emily said...

Mmmm. And it's fun to say frittata!

Anette said...

You know the importance of good and colorful food!! Your meals are food for the belly, for the taste buds, for the smelling sense, for the eyes and for the soul. What else is there? You can probably heare it as well.. in the sound of munching delight and crunching of the vegetables...

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks fabulous to me! I've never tried one but I really should.

Maggie said...

Yes, small world—and small neighborhood! I bought the behemoth goat cheese too (gotta love the e. village cheese store) and am planning to do goat cheese cheesecake. We'll see how it goes.

Meg Kelso said...

So...you start cooking in a frying pan and THEN put it under the broiler? I'm confused.

:(

Meg Kelso said...

Oh...and Emilene was right...fritattas IS fun to say. The next time I'm drinking I'll have to say it some more.

:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin