Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Weeds and Seeds

I am a recovering vegetarian. I had a girlfriend many years ago that was totally holistic from her mom on down and as a result I strayed from my meat eating ways for many years (5 to be exact) and I never quite got over it, every now and then I lapse back into "the life" - yup I have nutritional yeast in my fridge and I use it mostly on popcorn, my kid loves it he calls it "the good stuff" as in "daddy does the popcorn have a lot of the good stuff" so here we go I made hummus.
I soaked the chickpeas, garbanzos or whatever over night and then simmered them until soft with some garlic cloves. I also fried some of the soaked beans in olive oil and then sprinkled sea salt and old bay seasoning for a snack.
Throw it in the food processor always drizzleing olive oil until its nice and creamy or as creamy as a bean can be and then put it on a plate and eat it with some pita bread or tortillas or crackers or whatever you want.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Nutritional yeast -- excellent. I like to use cannelini beans for dips as well. Not as much flavour as chick peas, but a nicer texture, imo.

Christo Gonzales said...

V: brewers too but I use it more in smoothies for the kick.

Unknown said...

I've never used brewers. What's the taste like? Just malty or different?

Christo Gonzales said...

no ..totally yeasty and like vegemite..its strong. use it like a "seafood" spice.

buffalodick said...

We are going to be doing a bit of dieting around here, so kicking and screaming I will be eating a little less red meat-and more veggies and grains....

Michelle Ann said...

I love hummus!!!! I like to put in some chopped kalamata olives and walnuts. It's practically a whole meal on it's own. However, if I can have it with falafel or kibbee...I am a happy camper.

Angel said...

yum! Looks soooo good!

A Girl From Texas said...

Can this be done in a blender instead of a food processor?

Christo Gonzales said...

GFT: it gets pretty thick, an immersion blender would be easier to manage I think

Blog Widget by LinkWithin