Pages

Friday, April 20, 2007

Let them eat cake

Every year I make my kid a custom cake and this year is no different. I wish I had photos of the two hot wheels cars and the bob the builder construction site I made early on they were cool but here are a couple. I am no baker but I have fun doing it and its all first draft stuff so if the frosting doesnt do what I expected I just have to go with it.. This is a flourless cake made with beaten eggwhites, melted chocolate, vanilla and unsweetened butter it comes out of the oven puffy and light like a souffle but then as it sits it collapses and gets more dense while retaining a nice moist and chocolatey center. I like it both straight from the oven and also later after it gets dense.



So happy birthday to everyone and anyone who has a birthday in April, you know who you are better than I do even though I do know some.

14 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

Very Cool. I'm sure your little man loves it. I saw the hotwheels cake in your archives...that was cool, too.
I have to ask...did you follow a recipe for the cake, or did you come up with it all on your own? And if you came up with it on your own, how do you know exactly how much of each ingredient to put in? Because I wouldn't even know how to make a cake that doesn't have flour in it. But it sounds very appetizing.

MommaMonkey said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday to little man! Hope he has fun celebrating!

buffalodick said...

Great idea! My wife, when the kids were small did much the same thing. One of our best stories is when she made a Darth Vader cake, complete with black frosting for my youngest sons' birthday. She came home, could not find the cake, and accused me and my other son of hiding it! All we found was the aluminum foil-wrapped cardboard it had been sitting on, along with a few crumbs. Our Airdale Matilda had eaten the whole friggin cake! She crapped black food colored poop for two days.....

Christo Gonzales said...

Chel: good question. I dont ususally use recipes although I have read tons of them and I collect cookbooks (old and unusual mostly) so I guess I must remember. I can jot down the recipe for this cake if you like.
buff: I guess the dog spared you guys the same "black" experience.

Tanya Kristine said...

what a nice father you are...and that cake sounds like a delicacy despites its looks... : )

Christo Gonzales said...

TK: arrrghhhh ...blow me down

Michelle Ann said...

Doggy, I never new just how talented you were. Very creative. The cake is very cool!

Christo Gonzales said...

MA: were...past tense...ahhh what happened to me

Michelle Ann said...

Doggy, you are still creative!! I guess I shouldn't blog and comment before I have ingested enough caffeine! :)

MommaMonkey said...

Doggy: I'd love the recipe! If you want to email it to me, you can do so at: Chelsblaze@hotmail.com
Thanks! Sounds yummy!

L said...

O Hoy Matey! Look at that cake.

I would walk the plank for a piece of it LOL.

Angel said...

Happy Birthday LIttle Man!!!

you are the best dad EVER Doggy...Little Man is a very lucky guy.

pinknest said...

happy birthday to your son! that is an AWESOME cake. i so want to make a pirate cake, too. and wear an eyepatch while doing it.

Harmony said...

This is a great cake...my son loves pirates!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin