Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Itadakimasu! (Bon Appetite!)

This is my kids bait, whenever I want to make him more of the good kid he already is I make him his favorite thing to eat and that is anything with nori (seaweed). Sometimes I roll them into a ball sometimes I make fancy little triangles and other times I do the simplest thing possible and that is to make rolls or Maki-zushi or Norimaki but no matter how you spell it or what you call it this stuff tastes great.



After making the sushi rice and having added a little sweet rice vinager I then put it on a sheet of nori with a little wasabi, that I buy in 2 pound bags cause I use this stuff in other things as well like I will make wasabi mayonaise to put on a teriyaki chicken sandwich for example.



Any way today I am just using shrimp, cause thats what I have, my avocados are not ripe enough and I dont have cucumber and I dont feel like making little carrot juliennes. Roll it up, slice it either at an angle or straight across, arrange on a plate with some more wasabi and pickled ginger and enjoy.


Its so easy to make and the enjoyment of being able to gorge yourself is unmatched.

Edit : To iron that point home a little my guy says "daddy put some of those garbage beans with some of that crab salt and roll it up with rice in the seaweed.. I bet it tastes good"...so I did...he ate it. I tasted it ..it was like having salty peanuts or corn nuts wrapped up in a sushi concoction..... seemed like more of a kids flavor or something you would have with a coca-cola. Plus to add to the connundrum - we dont drink soda - only in a special "needs" basis, and thats a fact, we are a low sodium low sugar house with no candy or soda, but plenty of cakes. You should get to know little debbie and I am sure I know dolly madison isnt she related to betty crocker? Let me ask my Aunt Jemima or my Uncle Ben or maybe Captain Crunch, somebodies gotta know. Chef boy are dee is too busy and so is Mrs. Pauls so maybe its Long John Silver or no...I know if we just ask the peanut gallery some who haw will chime in.

10 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

Wow, you never cease to impress me. And the fact that your boy eats that and it is his favorite thing just amazes me.
I've decided you need your own cooking show. Or you need to "write" a cook book. But don't write every detail out...just use your pictures and your comments. You know how there are picture books for kids? Yours could be like a picture cook-book for adults. You'd be sure to sell a lot to a bunch of non-(book)-readers, like me! :)

Unknown said...

Is there anything more perfect that sushi? Love the greens shot. I didn't know that lime helps to keep 'em green. Love your reading list -- especially the Dorothy Parker. She's so underrated.

buffalodick said...

That looked downright professional! And tasty too...

Angel said...

I am such a virgin....never had that either. I need to visit you just so you can cook for me! ;) And your boy really IS a New York boy if he eats all this crazy stuff! ;)

Angel said...

and I think Chel and I should be your manager and publicist...cuz you so need to do what she said!

Christo Gonzales said...

Chel: That is the best thing I have heard and boy would I like it.
Vin: just plain rice in nori is perfect all by itself.
Buff: thanks buddy that means a lot.
Beth: well your virgin status would not remain so for long with the things we eat around here..

There is a japanese phrase that I will totally ruin but it has something to do with "if its back faces the heavens then we eat it" or something like that.

Michelle Ann said...

We eat soooo much sushi here in California, that I have had little interest in making it at home, but I think you have inspired me.

S* said...

Yum...sushi is next on my list to make at home. We've done Chinese (which was easy since I lived with my Chinese ex-bf for 4 years) and Indian recently. We're a little nervous about getting raw fish though.

Christo Gonzales said...

s: use salmon with a splash of lime juice or rice vinegar if you're concerned about the rawness, Tuna is excellent and so is spanish mackeral and these are very fresh and excellent here in NY and are fine raw so are scallops, the large ones. It seems wierd at first but where do the sushi guys get their fish?

S* said...

Isn't most of the sushi fish flash frozen these days?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin