Pages

Sunday, January 09, 2011

say hello to my little friend - or is that sey hallo tu maij leetle frend?


Rellenos are my buddies. Stuffed peppers baby, one of my favorites. If I go to a Mexican restaurant - and its rare that I do - I always order a chile relleno, I dont care how bad they are I always have to have a relleno. For the most part those rellenos are a roasted chile pepper stuffed with cheese and fried, a very good starting point, but I like to turn those babies upside down.

Most of you have probably seen a typical platter from a Mexican restaurant - entree, rice and beans with a little shredded lettuce and some diced tomato or a pico de gallo - pretty standard. What if you put those goodies inside of the pepper instead? It could work, a little protein substitution and bada bing bada boom.

For starters the chiles, poblanos in this case, need to be roasted and when I say "poblanos in this case" I am not singling these guys out, no - all chiles are better roasted unless you are making relish.

Stuff them in a plastic bag, a paper bag or put under a moist towel - or do what I did and tear a paper bag open and wet it before covering the hot roasted chiles.

After the chiles have cooled you can peel them under running water and the skins will slide right off, at this point stuff them. I stuffed them with house ground chicken, skin and fat and all, roasted and chopped poblano chile, a mix of grated mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, herbs and spices like green onion and salt and secrets galore with a nice base of toasty brown rice.

Flour them then egg them then flour them again.

Fry them to golden perfection. You are now ready to plate them up but before we do that I have a little contest and the winner will get a prize, if the prize is more important than the contest then you should disqualify yourself now but if you like a mysterious challenge then proceed. Modern decor didnt wake you up Bathroom cabinets meant nothing to you, why would a handful of baubles be any different?

What are these? (hint) they come in other shapes as well. [I didnt zoom in because I want this to be as easy as possible - there is one person out there that might know and I have to disqualify her before hand - sorry] The answer is one word.

Chiles rellenos they way I have grown to like them - fat and large and full of flavor.

33 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

Yes, yes - these look so good, I would definitely inhale them.

Oh, those are twisty-fried-dough-sprinkled-with-cinnamon!

Anonymous said...

Yum, your chiles rellenos sure look amazing! I so need to make some sometimes!

Christo Gonzales said...

Mexican Cheetos is two words and IS NOT the answer.

kathy gori said...

Lovely! I want one...now.

monica said...

THIS is definitely my kind of grub... the posole not so much...

mely said...

Chicharrones!. They are sold in the streets of Mexico and also at the school little snack bar. Topped with salsa "La Valentina". They come in many shapes you just fry them and they poof. They are made of flour.

You did a massive cooking of chiles rellenos, that looks lie a real feast!

Saludos,

Mely

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate it when you order rellanos and they get to the table and they're baked? I made rellanos a couple of months ago...love them. I think those are chalupas.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great recipe. This is something I would order out because I could never imagine making it from scratch.

Anette said...

I would love some rellenos, If I came over, would there be any left?
And the one-word-thing is: Potetskruer.. (since you don't know Norwegian, you will not know thats two words stuck together..)

Mo Diva said...

they are beautiful.

I can only imagine how tasty! yum!

Consciously Chaotic said...

Wow, those look so crispy. I've only eaten them dipped in an egg batter. I will definitely try to make them your way, I loves crunchy.

Christo Gonzales said...

sometimes I make a fluffy egg white batter to dip them in but these plump poblanos screamed for a crunch....

Marjie said...

I can't eat peppers, but your pictures are so pretty!

And are your mystery things Sopopillas? I bet I spelled it wrong.

Barbara said...

Love your chili relleno recipe...I'm positively drooling. Floured and fried? Deevine!
Haven't a clue what the other photo is...

Angie's Recipes said...

GOSH..your rellenos look 100 times better than those in the Mexican restaurants....great pictures too.

Sydney said...

I always wondered the background on one of my favorite Mexican dishes - my father-in-law even owns a Mexican restaurant! Thanks for the great photos. If you are a football watcher, GO DUCKS!!

Kate said...

Those look incredible. They make those I've seen in restaurants pale in comparison.

Lauren said...

I love chile rellenos!!!

And are those... churros? very hard to tell from the pic - not even sure if its something sweet or savory. haha

Green Peccadilloes said...

mmmm chiles rellenos .... as I'm easing into real Mexican with a good guide (don't blame me, I'm irish and Scottish, my people don't do spice...I"m learning!) these are what put me over the edge. I've stuffed but not battered...I think it's time to take the plunge.

snowelf said...

I wanted to eat my computer today because of this post.

--snow

Vickie said...

Bada bing bada boom indeed - these look scrumptious! I grow Anaheims just for rellenos - and there is much feasting when the bush is full of fat green peppers. I'm going to have to remember the stuffing idea. Very nice, Christo. (what would it take to get those secret ingredients??)

briarrose said...

Pure heaven! These look delicious.

Christo Gonzales said...

I should give a chile roasting and peeling video tutorial - these were done under the broiler in minutes...

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh man does that look out of this world good!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh man, I love rellenos, they are always what I order when I go out for Mexican food...but yours are killing me! I have never prepared them myself, but I have to try this :)
As far as the challenge, no clue...but since I should guess anyway they remind me of mini churros?

CreativeMish said...

I don't think I could ever get tired of Mexican food. Our local little restaurant is the best. The owner lives on a farm just down from me and raise their own, beef, goats, chickens, veggies etc...

CreativeMish said...

I think your puffies are Chicharones. I don't know how to spell that. I've never seen them look quite like that. The locals fry them up fresh. They're great with hot sauce.

CreativeMish said...

gotta love those pig skins! LOL!

Jason Phelps said...

I love this twist. I have eaten them out a few times but they have been best when I made them at home!

Jason

Jill said...

Chicharrones...but I'm late to the question. We add them to quacamole...crushed up. But, you have to eat it fast, otherwise they get soggy. Adds a nice bacony flavor.

Katja said...

That looks so good, and no orange plastic cheese in sight!

Karen said...

I feel the same way about chile rellenos... if they're on the menu, they're on my plate :)

Table Talk said...

Missing the Southwest very much right now after catching up on your posts over the last week or so!
Chiles Rellenos when done right are one of my favs...these look crisp on the outside, and oh so good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin