Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Are you ready, Are you ready for this Are you hanging on the edge of your seat ........



"Another one bites the dust
Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust "

That is exactly what happened to this chicken. What was once an inspired chicken soup that was cherished and honored became leftovers in less than 24 hours. What do you do with a pot full of chicken and veggies that is sans most of the broth because the broth was lopsidedly consumed more than the rest of the soup? Chicken pot pie is what.

If you thought making salmon cakes was easy then you can do this in your sleep. Make a nice and light crust for the bottom of the pie or if you really want hassle free use a pre-made pie crust, pierce it all over with a fork and prebake it until its golden. (I made this crust in less time than it took to write this paragraph.) Fill baked crust with shredded chicken chunks of veggies and make a little cornstarch slurry and pour over the whole thing to aid in thickening. Roll out a top crust and lay it over the filling and poke with a fork then Bake at 375 until golden, for the last few minutes brush with an egg wash to create a nice silky crust and crank the heat up to 400.

Slice into wedges and serve with a nice white chicken gravy and I'll bet you dollars to donuts you will be making pot pies all the time after you have one delicious bite. Look at all that chicken and the bits of carrot and potato, it screams out to be loved.

You can use mixed frozen veggies if you like, or you can even buy a rotisserie chicken and make it fresh from scratch. Make extra and freeze them for those busy times when you dont have time to cook. Chicken pot pies are about as comforting as comforting can get, add gravy and its cozier than a campfire.

20 comments:

HGourmet Foodie said...

Left over soup is perfect for pies :) Wonderfully moist chicken pie you got out there.. Yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

This pie looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing!

vanillasugarblog said...

yep i'm with you on that one. i love a good pot pie with a hearty thick ass crust and a fabulous gravy.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I'm loving it! Everyone's been making chicken pot pies these days! I've got lots of stir-fry ingredients (already made) in the fridge. I wonder if I can somehow incorporate them into an Asian chicken pot pie? Hmm, hooray for experimenting!

Unknown said...

The best-looking chicken pot pie I've seen, period. Thank you.

- Anthony

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Beautiful. Thank you for you talent and photography.

Vickie said...

I love the classy way your leftovers "bite the dust"! I'm not a huge fan of chicken soup after the first show . . . brothy is better to me. What a great idea!

Christina said...

I absolutely love turning old chicken, turkey, and pot roast into pot pies. No better comfort food! You nailed it!

♥peachkins♥ said...

it's raining in here..the weather's chilly, it puts me in the mood for a warm slice of that pie!

Anette said...

Pie is my husbands most cherished food as he is a Yorkshire lad, I find it very easy to make, but still I think I make it to seldom. Often I skip the bottom crust, and just make a lid of crust, to satisfy his love for the crispy pie-feeling. As for me, applepie is still my favourite!

Jessie Carty said...

Yum! I love chicken pot pie. I have a simple recipe I like to use but I might have to try this one :)

Marjie said...

You can also add a nice cream based broth and make cream of chicken soup. Just saying. And that's what I'd do, because chicken soup is about the most popular thing that can appear hereabouts! As for me, I'd love your chicken pot pie.

briarrose said...

What a great use for leftover soup. It looks delicious. The ultimate in comfort food. :)

MJ said...

A leftover chicken soup couldn't get better treatment than this!! :)

Drick said...

like your version, with the sauce on the outside instead of in....

Mrs Mulford said...

I'm singing along too - All we need is chicken pot pie-ie ( to radio ga-ga ) The pastry looks amazing - I've just eaten chicken and I could still eat this again. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ok. I made chicken pot pie for the first time last week with my husband and it most certainly did NOT look as good as yours!

Lori Lynn said...

Hey King of leftovers! Congrats on Top 9 and another winning dish!
LL

Magic of Spice said...

Very nice! Looks amazing, and congratulations on the Top 9 :)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

A very classy to treat left-overs Christo. I haven't had chicken pot pie in ages and turkey sounds divine in it.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Sam

Blog Widget by LinkWithin