Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

if you watch closely and if you really want to you can make a great relleno


Does this look familiar? It should.


First off there should be no excuse for not roasting chiles. Chile tastes better roasted and from a pure dietary perspective they digest better as well, so no more excuses - roast your chile.

You dont have to have a blast roaster or a special outdoor fire pit or anything fancy what-so-ever. Roast the chile peppers under your broiler, and it doesnt matter whether its gas or electric, the skin will char, the flavor will be imparted and they will be easy to peel. Simple as that - roast the chiles for that real authentic flavor - no ifs ands or buts about it.

Secondly I cant believe its been two or three posts since I last posted chiles rellenos, dang where does the time go? (thats supposed to be sarcastic humor) I think you know already that this dish is one of, if not the, all time favorite of me, my guests, my clients and my friends and family, I make them any which way possible. (search chiles rellenos on my blog when ever you have some time to kill). This time I went for the whipped egg white batter and simply stuffed them with queso de oaxaca and queso de quesadilla, easy cheesy and vegetarian.

Thirdly if you want to make it all "mexican restaurant style" then you need some beans and rice. I made some straight forward pinto beans and some spanish rice. This rice has a little tomato, a little garlic a tiny pinch of oregano, a little cilantro and salt to taste, once again if you want the recipe - tough luck.

Pour on some nice New Mexico red chile enchilada sauce over the whole thing, grate a little extra cheese and toss on some finely chopped partially dried cilantro (I like the texture and flavor) and guard your plate you wouldnt want the relleno zombies to catch wind of this delicacy. (you think this is two shots of the same plate but it isnt - look closely and you will see - I made five of these but only photographed the first two) Make rellenos, impress your friends.

26 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh holy jesus, that's about the yummiest dinner I've ever seen! Definitely going on my MUST MAKE list!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This sure looks fabulous!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I must admit I make a pretty mean relleno, but they don't look as nice as yours.

Drick said...

yup, this is one of my favorites too, can eat just about any version and yours looks like I would pounce on it in a minute, I can tell it is not your first one...

Vickie said...

This is the method I use for my rellenos, but my sauce is different. The last time I made them with a friend and they were sauced with freshly steamed tomatillos and a bit of HOT red pepper. (amazingly delicious). You're such a tease with your recipes. :)

Anette said...

Mmmmmmmm! Thats food for the heart and soul!

Tiffany said...

Mmmm! I love that you paired the rellenos with pinto beans! (My second favorite bean after gandules!)

mely said...

I wrote the other day that if you decided to make a cookbook it should be about Chile recipes. You have creative ways with them.

Consciously Chaotic said...

My heart's cockles need some warming and those chile rellenos would certainly do the trick =}

Angie's Recipes said...

I couldn't tell it's the roasted pepper! You can always turn some simple ingredients into a gorgeous dish!

briarrose said...

Wow this looks amazing. Beautiful meal. I'm pretty sure I drooled a bit. ;)

♥peachkins♥ said...

That is a fantastic looking plate of food! I love what you did with the rice!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Your good is always so gorgeous.

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Damn that looks soooooo good! Your photos are making my mouth water - delicious!!!

Seduction Meals said...

This looks wonderfully delicious! One of my favorite restaurant in NY, which is now closed (mi cucina) had the BEST chilli Rellenos. I miss them!

Anonymous said...

Great dish, as always. When do we get you to share the sauce recipe?

Barbara said...

Oh yeah...that looks like a winner of a plate. You are the best in the relleno stakes!

Keri said...

Nice work here, friend. So funny because relleno's are very, very popular in our house. We make a run to New Mexico every year for supply of Green Chiles. Such amazing flavor. Loving some of the hints here. We might try a few .. however our resident relleno maker is tempermental (mental being operative)when it comes to her recipe which by now she has down to a simple science, and they are fabulous. Frankly I think yours LOOK nicer because they're so nice an big. Thanks for stopping, Keri . oh.. see oct 17 post on my other blog www.spitnglue.com if interested.

HGourmet Foodie said...

Amazingly colorful plate... Gorgeous pics... just loved the recipe!!!!

Spryte said...

O.M.G. That looks amazing!!! I LOVE chile rellenos!!!!

Magic of Spice said...

You are beyond a doubt the master of the relleno :) Always my favorite as well...Looks fantastic!

Magic of Spice said...

You are beyond a doubt the master of the relleno :) Always my favorite as well...Looks fantastic!

Jamie said...

OMG that is fabulous and I am now hungry for that! Everything on that plate (and I can't imagine not serving it all together) looks just so delicious, rich, flavorful. Ooh I can see why this is a favorite.

Stephanie said...

That is serious! I have been in the mood for something spicy. I am glad i stopped by.

Stephanie said...

That is serious! I have been in the mood for something spicy. I am glad i stopped by.

Anonymous said...

Awesome looking chile rellenos! Roasting the chiles is definitely a must!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin