Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I am a cultural journey but I only go as far as a taco will take me


Redefining what we know best is probably one of the best ways to contribute to our own cultures and I like to make my contributions to the food of my people. Mexican food is such a loose description for a multitude of dishes and styles of preparation and that is only in Mexico. Mexican food in the USA is something else entirely because you have TexMex, CalMex, ArizonaMex and NewMexicoMex and out of all of these it is only the TexMex that has a cool name. Particular as I am I think that New Mexico makes the best out of all these other versions since we have readily available our own hot chiles that grow exclusively in the Land of Enchantment, if you dont believe me then look it up in Wikipedia. Ok enough of this business of which state makes the best southwestern food - I think we are all on the same page now.

Enchiladas are a big hit and always a favorite and they typically look like this when you order them out. (you might notice that this is the second time I am comparing foods and you would be right, in fact I might keep on doing this for quite some time so get used to it) Now these certainly do look good and they will do in a pinch but this isnt how I like to see them.

Enchiladas Suizas are simply a rolled corn tortilla with cheese and or chicken and then covered with a creamy sauce, chile and more cheese - incredibly simple and from a cost perspective incredibly cheap to make.

I like to serve things a little lighter, a little brighter and a little healthier after all I want to look as good as my food, dont you?

Stick around I am on a roll here showing you how good this stuff can really be, Mexican food does not have to be glop on a plate, it can be refined looking, healthy and tasty beyond your wildest dreams.


Maybe some of you remember when Billy Chrystal did Fernando Lamas on Saturday Night Live and he would say "you look mahvelous, you really do" well thats where I am coming from. Eat, light, eat bright and eat right and you too will look "mahvelous!"

31 comments:

Anette said...

There isn't enough blue food in the world!
Yum!

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Fernando Lamas was the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man in the World" and we didn't know it.

Danielle said...

I agree, New Mexico Mex is the best by far. I miss it all very much! I'm going through green chili withdraw. There's a real culture of food out there that I'm not finding in our new home on Tennessee. You're blue corn enchilada's make me jealous.

vanillasugarblog said...

ohhhh darling ooooo loooook marrrvelous

Sharon Rudd said...

Absolute stunning!

Sippity Sup said...

I am a Californian, but I am going to give it to NM too. Not because we don't have some of the best Mexican food, cuz we do. But the LA version tends to be more closely related to the original and what I have seen out of NM seems a bit more creative. Just like yours. GREG

HGourmet Foodie said...

Blue corn enchilada's looks fantastic.. I am a big Mexican food fan, even though I don’t find good restaurants where I live in NJ.

Jessie Carty said...

I love the grand scale of what is called Mexican food, but honestly? there is something about Tex-Mex seasoning that I specifically don't like!

mely said...

I am so glad you talk about the food with a Mexican heritage. There are so many versions in the southern states. Everyone is rich in its one way.
As a Mexican that moved to the states a few years ago
I like to see others people take in Mexican food.

Saludos,

Mely

Marjie said...

You know I love colorful food! Always a pleasure looking at your plates, although I'm jealous that mine are not as pretty.

Magic of Spice said...

Delicious and then some...they are gorgeous, excuse me - They look marvelous!

teresa said...

i love those pretty blue tortillas! excellent makeover.

briarrose said...

Love the blue tortillas. Love it!

Stacey Snacks said...

They look like denim!
Love the pics!

I need to get to N.M. soon.

Velva said...

Now, that is a dish of tacos! Look at that color! Presentation.! That was a dish you made with a lot of love for what you were creating. A honor to your food culture.

Velva

CreativeMish said...

My favorite thing to order... Enchiladas Suizas... I've never had them with blue shells

CreativeMish said...

Forgot to tell you that you look Mahvelous.... I remember back in the day when everyone said that...

Anonymous said...

Wow, these look spectacular, I love your colorful presentation!

Anonymous said...

Did you make your own blue tortillas? They look mahvalous. I think glop on a plate should be outlawed and I cringe everytime someone refers to it as Mexican Food. CRINGE. I saw Lamas interviewed once and when asked about his tight clothing replied "It's better to look good than to feel good". Ya gotta love that guy. We have two New Mexico restaurants in Denver now and they're wildly popular.

Carolyn said...

I've spent some time in New Mexico and I've always loved it. You've sold me that they might have the best "mex" of them all.

chow and chatter said...

you always cook the best food love the color of the tortilla

Anonymous said...

What can I say to the eat right, light and healthy mantra but "Ditto," "Kudos" and "Amen, Brother!"

Vickie said...

"I want to look as good as my food" - profoundly simple concept and I love it! Having said that, you are doing a mahvelous job, darling. Those tacos look beautiful and flavorful. Eating that distinctive cuisine was always my favorite part of travelling to New Mexico. I can't wait to go back.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Well first of all you do look better than your food! Second, I want some of those blue treats on a plate and third, you make me want to travel to New Mexico. Some day.

Angie's Recipes said...

oh yep...these blue tacos do look marvelous, really do!

Jamie said...

Okay, so if we remember Billy Chrystal doing Fernando Lamas will it date us? Because I do! Love the video! And wow love the enchiladas! It is funny how when a certain cuisine is mentioned, Mexican, Italian, French, we always think straightaway of one or two stereotypical dishes yet every culture is awash in fabulous and diverse dishes. Thanks for introducing us to so many!

Barbara said...

Oh yeah. Blue is best. Those are great looking enchiladas!

Jason said...

Mother of God. Could you adopt me? I eat a lot, but I'm pretty good at doing the dishes & scrubbing toilets!!!

LaDivaCucina said...

DoggyBloggy, I LOVE when you show your age! haha! Who's Billy Crystal again?! tee!

I love this post. I love "Mexican" food in all of it's forms. My galpal Fifi from Australia doesn't get too much REAL Mexican so when she came to visit me in L.A. years ago I took her to a James Beard award winning taco stand called Yuca's (in Silverlake) She was disappointed because the tacos didn't have a crunchy shell! oy!

The movie "Like Water for Chocolate" has always been a fave and really opened my eyes to the real Mexican food that is divine and complicated, not the greasy, bland slop you find so often in some "Mexican" restaurants here. Me want enchiladas NOW!

Ruby said...

These are just stunning. I often wish we could get more varieties of corn (and tortillas) out here in the UK. Can't wait for the day when I bring my family on a roadtrip through the Southwest. I love New Mexico and Arizona. And the food... :-) By the way, couldn't get the video to play. It said NBC had blocked it because of copyright infringement. No one else has mentioned that - could it be just for non-US viewers?

Christo Gonzales said...

the video is just a Billy Crystal skit when he does Fernando Lamas and says "you look mahvelous"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin