Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

pure and simple comfort food disguised as junk food


Tacos make my son want to do back hand springs, hand stands, tv stands, jump up and down and giggle stands - totally go into some kind of freaky excited stage - stands - back flips, front flips, run in place and act like a maniac flips; he likes tacos and who wouldnt, they are crunchy, spicy and loaded with goodness.

I like to have full control of things so I even grind my own meat.

As tempting as it is to want to eat this fresh ground angus steak raw I have to strongly urge you not to and I especially urge you not to eat the beef raw with a raw egg and some rough cut green onions. While I do enjoy eating steak tartare the FDA would not be happy if I suggested you do the same. So dont do it. Instead heat up a skillet and brown some of the meat then add some onions and garlic and all kinds of secret chile spices until it tastes like Taco Bell, you'll know when its ready, it will smell too good to be true.

Tacos with a crispy shell wrapped by a soft shell are all the rage around here. Cool as they look they actually serve a purpose. The soft shell has a layer of melted cheese between it and the crunchy shell and the soft shell helps hold the whole taco together from the first bite to the last.

You can forget the soft shell and have them straight and crunchy if cool isnt your game.

How ever you have them make sure you eat at least 3 and I am certain you will flip for tacos just like us.


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how I want one of these double-shelled tacos. For the past couple of years, I've been making pre-heated soft corn tortilla tacos and just the other day was craving the preformed crispy taco version.

Kori said...

I've never heard of double-shelled tacos, but wow, that sounds amazing! I can see why your son gets so excited :)

Magic of Spice said...

These look terrific, my oldest son is the taco guy...he would love these :)

Christina said...

I need to get a grinder for my mixer! I love that you can grind your own meat.

We just had tacos! Yummy! Although yours look so much tastier. I have to try that soft taco around the hard taco. It looks so beautiful with the multi colors. Great shots!

mely said...

I had never make these kind of tacos. But my teenager son also would love to have some of your for dinner.
I love de concept of double tortilla, good shield for the crispy one when it breaks.

Are you loving the cold weather?

Mely

teresa said...

loving the blue tortillas. yes, i would totally flip for these!

Unknown said...

Tacos are good is an understatement! It's like birthday cake in our house lol. I've never made them with egg before. I've never been able to take a good photo of them either! Love the post.

Ann said...

Great post! The tacos look fantastic! My kids love these too.

Christo Gonzales said...

I didnt make the tacos with the egg - I mixed that up with a few capers and some worschestershire and I ate it just like that......

Belinda said...

Hey, if he'll eat it, fantastic! I like the addition of the egg.

Kita said...

Tacos still make me want to do back flips and hand stands. They really are in the top 5 of my favorite dinners. I love the idea of the soft shell outside of the crunchy.

Vickie said...

These look splendid! I love that you grind your own meat.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What? I can't have a little taste of that scrumptious looking raw meat. Sorry FDA, we eat tartare in our kitchen and ain't gonna stop. But of course, it's not for everyone.

I would do flips for these tacos too. Crunchy deliciousness on a plate.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I've never made tacos for my daughter . That's just wrong. Need to do that :)

Tes said...

Ohhh taco! My family could never lived with out it! I will try your version soon :)
Tes
http://tesathome.com

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

That blue soft shell looks amazing. The colors alone are shaking me out of my winter funk.

Lori Lynn said...

Hey - I had never heard of the crisp shell inside the soft shell! Cool indeed!
LL

Marjie said...

I never thought of the soft shell and crunchy shell combo. You're a thinker, no doubt.

Unknown said...

alright! game on! potluck and trade! because tacos ARE good...

Velva said...

God, no wonder your son does back-flips, and jumps up and down. I would too.

Jackie said...

Perfect food for the upcoming Superbowl party for my husband. I haven't heard about the double-taco dish in CAlifornia yet. It's time to follow that new food trend ;)

JACKIE at PHAMFATALE.com

Cook in a Bar said...

Tacos are good! Thanks for sharing, these look great.

chow and chatter said...

oh wow i want your tacos I will flip like your son

Angie's Recipes said...

Cool that you even grind your own mincemeat! The tacos look mouthwatering.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I will take your advice and try your double shelled tacos with melted cheese in between sometime....

Anonymous said...

I LOVE tacos! Love love love love LOVE! I have definitely done the double shell taco trick and I just love it!

Jessie Carty said...

I was just thinking, this week, that I'd like to make quesadilas. But, now, I want good old fashioned tacos :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin