Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

leftovers leftover are leftovers leftover - make good on em'


Who cares what anyone says for that matter. Everyone has some opinion about something, whether its right or whether its wrong, in fact some people dont even care about that. I have heard opinions from people that literally had no clue what they were talking about. I learn from all of this since its my pirate way. Oftentimes someone close to me will say "if I only had one of your meals I would consider myself lucky" and to which I respond "but you do and you dont even know it."

Once everyone is adequately confused you proceed to throw together some leftovers. Yeah you heard it - leftovers. Leftovers should not have the negative stigmata that they are so keen to attract. Leftovers should be given the same guardianship that they were afforded when they were not leftovers. Chop up some celery, some cilantro, some onion and smash in some soda crackers.

Take that old leftover pistachio crusted salmon*, for instance, and chunk it up then toss in a couple of eggs and mix it along with the crackers and veggies.

Gently fold together

Make salmon cakes

Fry cakes

Plate salmon cake with a little cucumber and carrot salad and float it in a nice orange/ginger and butter glaze. Leftovers given the respect they need is what I am talking about.


*pistachio crusted salmon is leftover from a party I worked whereby 350 guests were fed delicious pistachio crusted salmon, miso glazed halibut and various other assorted delicacies but by some small stroke of oversight there were some things leftover.

31 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Christo, you are a genius! I love those leftover cakes! Great pictures too.

Christina said...

Yum! In this case the leftovers sound better than the original!

Jamie said...

Oh lord, salmon cakes! My mom used to make them with canned salad and they were a whole lot less sophisticated than yours (obviously) but oh they were one of my favorite childhood foods! Yours are gorgeous! And turning leftovers into fabulous meals is something my husband loves doing!

Anonymous said...

These sound great. Who doesn't love leftovers?

mely said...

Who knew they will turn into something this beautiful.

Belinda said...

If these are leftovers...I'm coming to live at your house.

Anonymous said...

Those leftovers look like a meal served at a 5 star restaurant!

Lori Lynn said...

You have a gift with the use of color on the plate.
LL

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Christo, that is by far the most gorgeous dish using left-overs I've ever seen. Wowza. You should consider starting a series on how to use left-overs. It would be a smashing success.

I agree with Lea Ann's comment. This could be a meal in a 5 star restaurant.
Sam

Mo Diva said...

it looks fantastic!
I love revamping leftovers!
No food should ever go to waste.

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! What a great idea, I have never had salmon cakes before but I ADORE crab cakes I am sure I would love this too. Your addition of the ginger and orange is really quite sensational!

vanillasugarblog said...

wonderful flavorful dish dog. i love it. nice job!

Anonymous said...

Gefstikotato! Like we say in Greek! It looks very tasty. Thank you for sharing.

Marjie said...

Sometimes I have a little of something left over and it gets reinvented for lunch, when there are only 2 of us! Love your salmon cakes. And with 350 people at the party, it's hard to believe there wouldn't be a miscount by a few...isn't that all you need?

Anette said...

Isn't that a strange thing! Salmon cakes everywhere. Yours looks very tasty!

teresa said...

i really need to adopt your philosophy on leftovers. leftover night at our place is usually such a drag. these look incredible!

chow and chatter said...

wow now this is what you call leftovers love it

Vickie said...

haha - I love the line, "by some small stroke of oversight there were some things leftover . . ."
Seriously, these are beautiful. When I use leftover salmon to make salmon cakes, mine are never this gorgeous. Could be your orange/ginger butter glaze. WOW.

Sanura at MyLifeRunsOnFood.com said...

I love when people look at recipes and think it's difficult to make. Most recipes require imagination and creativity, and they're relatively easy. Thanks for proving a point.

Anonymous said...

Such a great use for leftovers! You should never let food go to waste. Using your leftovers for new meals is a great time saver.

Anonymous said...

those left overs look too delicious!

FOODalogue said...

Good looking salmon cakes!

Angel said...

"...some orange/ginger and butter glaze" I always have that in my fridge. salmon too. :)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

You definitely showed some respect to that salmon. Those cakes could have been presented at a fancy restaurant they look so darn good.

Cynthia said...

What an inspired meal!

Velva said...

If only my leftovers looked like yours. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow, such excellent use of leftovers, those salmon cakes look absolutely scrumptious and I just love your plating - so very elegant!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Gorgeous salmon cakes! I've got a big yen for seafood after browsing your yummy blog :)

Magic of Spice said...

Those are some gorgeous leftovers...and salmon cakes are always a favorite. Loving that glaze too, really puts it over the top :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Yum. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Yummy salmon cakes.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin