Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

soup for the soul is soul soup and this is the real deal lemon peel


Soup, when the weather is like it is in the Northeast all you hear is soup, soup, soup and it makes all kinds of sense. Soup is soothing. Soup is comforting. Soup is the answer.

A few mornings ago the weather was so cold that soup was the answer first thing in the morning. I woke up to a cold and dark kitchen knowing full well that in an hour or so this tomb would be alive and warm with the fresh hot smells of soup and not just any soup but Sopa de Albondigas otherwise known in english as Meatball Soup.

Aesthetics are a big part of things around here so I couldnt let the meatballs have all the round fun so I took my melon baller and made potato balls to go along with it. This was a breakfast that set the tone for the entire day, soothed, comforted and charged up and ready to go.

Obviously you cant see the two or three tablespoons of chipotle with adobo that I stirred into the pot but you can believe that you can taste it - just the right heat kick. As usual I dont print a recipe since there are enough recipes floating around out there and since most, if not all, of my recipes are my own little secrets. Keep an eye out you might just see a ChezWhat cookbook popping up and while we are on that topic maybe you can let me know what kinds of things you would like to see in said cookbook but until then - have some soup.

21 comments:

Marjie said...

I made a roasted chicken last night and so guess what's been simmering all day?It's up to 34 here today, and it looks like we're going to miss most, if not all, of the snow. But I'd tolerate more snow for some meatball soup with lemon peel!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

A cookbook perhaps. What great news. Love the chipotle with adobo in the soup. Now that's kicking it up a notch.

Stay warm. Mother Nature seems to have a bazaar sense of humor this year with all the bitter cold. Do you think she'll make it up to us in the spring? Sounds only fair to me.
Sam

Kitt said...

Oh, that's clever to make potatoo balls. I'm totally stealing that.

vanillasugarblog said...

yep in this weather soup is most def for breakfast.
lots of won ton and chick noodle.

♥peachkins♥ said...

We also make meatball soup around here but kinda different from yours... that bowl screams comfort!

Vickie said...

Now I get why you rarely put out a recipe . . . I'd love to assist in this project. :) The soup looks amazing with it's spices and meatballs and little potato balls. Yum!

FOODalogue said...

Love uniform ingredients.

A cookbook? that would be wonderful.

teresa said...

mmmm, we're having a snow day today, so this is perfect.

i want gator hand in your cookbook! :)

Anette said...

Yes, I'm ready for a cookbook a la Christo le Chien! I should have had soup for breakfast before I went to work today, It was freezing cold!

mely said...

I love the addition of lemon tot he soup. We used it a lot in broths but in albondigas sounds good.

For a cookbook......mmmmm. I love your ideas with peppers. You have a very creative way with peppers.

Mely

Stacey Snacks said...

Now that's some beautiful soup, perfect for a day like today. I made pasta fagiole, so we are on the same wave length.

Anonymous said...

This is nice with a kick from chipotles, a warming and delicious looking soup!

CreativeMish said...

I make soup quite often this time of year. Love it. Yours looks delish!c

Cynthia said...

awww shucks :) listen to you rhyming :P

The Blonde Duck said...

I was still sold on the tacos!

Barbara said...

Never occurred to me for breakfast, but why not? Nice combos in yours...
Stay warm...it's not over yet.

Jessie Carty said...

I'd like to make some homemade soup but my spouse needs to watch his sodium intake. Any tips?

Mickle in NZ said...

Your soup looks so delicious, added metballs = yum, your potato balls are just a flavour slurping-up wonder.

Sending super care and hope for your cookbook.

Taste of Beirut said...

That is one soup I have always wanted to try making! I guess I will have to wait for your cookbook to get the recipe, no? I am eager to see it!

Table Talk said...

Better keep that soup simmering....looks like you are in for another snow storm. Yikes!

Magic of Spice said...

Just look at that gorgeous color...beautiful soup :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin