Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

fat tuesday

http://www.sheknowsparties.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/mardi-gras-beads.jpg
S
ince I dont do themes I thought I would break out of that mold a little and attempt a Mardi Gras post. Whomever sends me photos, and you know what kind I mean, I will send you some beads. Sounds good? Sounds good! So crackout those cameras, pull up those shirts and get ready for a beadfest.



On a more realistic note I soaked the Ayocote Morados (purple beans) in a brine solution like I learned from Americas Test Kitchen. If you soak the beans in salt water they keep their shape and stay creamy inside.



This big hunkin' bean got even bigger and hunkin'er and some with freckles showed up and some darker ones too. These beans soaked overnight and then were rinsed and boiled in plain water for 30 minutes and they are so tender and plump you wouldn't believe me if I showed you.



Oh ok, I'll show you. Never did a more creamy bean exist. Ayocote Morados are supposed to be great with wild mushrooms and garlic so I made a wild mushroom and garlic salsa and that was all she wrote. I cant even begin to describe the flavor and dont get your hopes up - they lost their color.



They are a little nutty and little like cut grass and but all of that is mild then there is the wild mushroom garlic and olive oil that balances this high wire act to a T.



So whats a bean post without some eggs and salmon? Nothing I tell you - nothing.



Scramble them in the pan till they begin to set then in the oven for a quick minute and you have a late night dinner fit for a Mardi Gras -er. Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

27 comments:

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the tip about soaking the beans in a brine.

Harmony said...

That's quite the request! LOL

Soaking beans in a brine? Brilliant idea!!! I will definitely try that! Even though the beans lost their color, they look great...must be the salsa. ;-)

Christo Gonzales said...

cynthia: you are very welcome!

harmony: I guess you dont want any beads....

Anonymous said...

Where are my beads?

Hornsfan said...

since red beans and rice are on my list for this week i'll have to brine them and see how it works out, i'm all about the creamier texture! ps - send me those beads!

Christo Gonzales said...

ap: I am checking my e mail for those pictures..

hornsfan: it worked great, the beans stayed intact and they are not gritty - forget about the beads, I need to send you that chile you won.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so they have to be 'recent' pictures. Well, the good Catholic that I am, all comes to a grinding halt during lent so I'll have to dig through the archive for a pic for next year's beads.

Tangled Noodle said...

Will you accept photos of a sexy Boxer with a biscuit on his nose?

Those are some sweet beans, enough to convince me to break away from addiction to cans - of beans, that is.

Anonymous said...

Neat recipe for the beans. I have some around and will try your brine idea out sometime soon.

Anette said...

I think I have to go bean hunting, and see what I can get. The creamyness of a beans inside when prepared well, thats just too tempting!
As for the beads... I guess I have to do without, we're a bit to shy up here in the North!

Darius T. Williams said...

Wow - eggs and salmon...looks pretty flippin good.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Brine soak -- great tip. I love beans (way more than Old Dog loves me when I eat them, unfortunately).

Unknown said...

I have never even considered salmon and eggs together, but that sounds so good! And I LOVE beans.

But do they lose their "gas" ability when you soak them over night? My mom used to soak them in salt and baking soda so they wouldn't be magical fruit. LOL

Christo Gonzales said...

tangled noodle: canned beans are great when you are in a hurry but dried beans are so much better.

5 star: the magic of the brine shines yet again

anette: yes, you need to go on a bean mission...

darius: it was a late night 'eat fest' thats for sure

jeanne: there have been no 'side effects' so far

bina: I am not sure - but I do know that epazote can help eliminate this 'condition'

buffalodick said...

The brine idea for the beans may have solved the problem I have with Kidney beans...

Angel said...

I'll be trying the brine thingie too....and I have to say...the eggs look good. Make me some when I hit NYC...if I can ever get my butt there.

and you are a bad BAD man for ASKING for pictures!!! Don't you know you have stalkers out there!!!?

XOXOXOX

Anonymous said...

I have to try that soaking technique. Those beans look fantastic.

What do I get if I send a picture of some chicken breasts?

The Blonde Duck said...

Did anyone send you any pics? You can tell me.

Maggie said...

The beans look great cooked too. I have to try brining some dried beans now.

Anonymous said...

Tasty beans! I love them with some pickles.

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: the brine worked incredibly well, the beans held together perfectly

beth: who's stalking me? I guess thats the deal with stalkers you dont know who they are....

lisaiscooking: the brine works - and the chicken breasts would be the only breast so far so you would get some beads....I guess...LOL

TBD: shhhhh....

maggie: its the only way I will cook them from now on - and your 'tacos' looked great BTW

zerrin: beans and pickles? that is not a combination I would have come up with - I guess its worth a try.

jesse said...

Soaking beans in brine...? You are such a weird genius.

Jill said...

Damn!! My camera is broken...

Admin said...

I've been using canned beans almost exclusively mainly because whenever I cook dried beans they turn mushy. Thanks for the salt water tip.

This is my second visit to your blog. Apparently, you're quite popular among the ladies. :)

Joy said...

I like dried beans, too, and usually use them. They are much better. I haven't tried the brine but will.

tavolini said...

Very neat--I've always heard salt water was a big no-no when it comes to dry beans. So, soak them in salt water, rinse, and cook in regular water?

I make beans once a week, so this is good to know!

Christo Gonzales said...

jesse: mmmmbuahhahahhahh...(I am still trying to perfect my evil laugh)

jill: I dont believe you!

leela: that would seem more unusual if 90% of the bloggers out there werent women

joy: be sure and rinse them well after

tavolini: that is about it, soak, rinse, boil...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin