Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cray ate or Crate


S
ounds like food but it isnt. What has a dogg been up to you might be asking, and the answer would be - a little of this and a little of that. I am more than just a pretty face and a sharp knife I can tell you that much right now. Sure I have my faults and they are actually too numerous to mention so its much easier to talk about the things that are not my fault.




The bowls and flower are made out of magazines, well one bowl is half magazine and half subway map but its still the same idea.



I guess I could handle being snowbound because these things are tedious to make.




I have also been spending my time 'fixing' this hutch. It had no doors or drawers and it was pretty beaten up when I found it, yup found it. I dragged it home, and brought it back to life. I 'aged' the new exterior to match the old. We are happy with it, it replaces what was a dark corner with a hodge podge of shelving. I am no Micky T thats for sure.



As a result of all this 'other' crafting I have not been crafting any food, well thats not entirely true I still sling some hash around just to keep up my 'chops' (dang and I am the funny pun king too). Basic turkey meatloaf with zucchini mashed potatoes and a simple gravy.



Slab-o-ribs with a secret South Texas rub.




Shhh, dont read too loud or the meat will fall off the bone. (see the difference with flash and without?)




Ugly dessert. A nice vanilla panna cotta with too many sauces and blueberries, that was so tasty you wanted to eat a gallon. So there you have it - a week in review.



There is/was more and I am still trying to digest it all (there I go again being the punster in chief) Jets made an X in the sky the other day, I think it wasnt on purpose.

28 comments:

snugs said...

I was fixin to send the troops looking for you..but I can see that you've been a very very busy dog..

Anonymous said...

What a little snow will do to you! You've got such a creative eye--for food and artsy makes. Zucchini in the mashies. Good one!

tavolini said...

neato bowl :) I've seen pot holders, but never a bowl!

Sky looks very blue and inviting--I'm so ready for warm weather I could scream.

Christo Gonzales said...

snugs: no troops needed...

duodishes: thanks and the mashies came out real nice...

tavolini: does it look like 28 degree inviting sky because thats what it was...

Mo Diva said...

How the hell do you make a bowl out of magazines? You amaze me.
And I'll take a rib. they look yummy.

Harmony said...

Great bowls...and I love the flower. You definitely have a lot of tricks up your sleeve!

The food? Of course looks great. And I do notice the difference...which one did you use the flash on?

Angel said...

DOG!!!! you sneaky crafter, you! the bowls are awesome!!! I have lots and lots of magazines....want 'em?? ;)

food don't look bad either...

buffalodick said...

I was checking milk cartons for photos... A man of many talents, to be sure!

Anette said...

You have been busy and creative I must say! And that ugly dessert, looks far too delicious to scare me!

Stacey Snacks said...

you are multi talented, as we know.

I received 3 of these magazine bowls for Christmas. Made by you?

That dessert is not ugly.

I am waiting for your poetry book to come out!

Christo Gonzales said...

mo: its only arts and crafts....the ribs ruled

harmony: the top one was with flash..

beth: NYC is a breeding ground for stuff on the street - there are plenty of magazines to be had - thanks though

buff: I was a little MIA there for a bit

anette: it would scare you with flavor I bet...

stacy: I published some chapbooks a few years ago - maybe its time to resurrect them...

Chef E said...

did notice you were MIA on the CWB, but that is okay...I do want the sun back, it is darn cold with that Northeaster blowing my van all over the road...ceviche is good any time your right!

pinknest said...

south texas, represent!! um, your simple meatloaf looks simply divine. i was just craving meatloaf last night.

Christo Gonzales said...

CE: its a cold one all right..

pinknest: south padre islands to be precise....

Anonymous said...

That bowl is too cool! Love the ribs - yum!

Joy said...

Your art degree is showing again! :-) Lovely!

Ken said...

Wow..you did a GREAT job distressing that hutch. It looks beat to crap...and that's a GOOD thing. We have an old pie shelf cabinit that you would LOVE. It's still a little to loose, I need to glue it back together. Comes complete with mouse holes in the back

Anonymous said...

Love the bowl and flower. I have a frame in a similar style.

Christo Gonzales said...

5 star: they cant be anything more than decorative - not dishwasher safe...LOL

joy: I thought I had that covered over....

micky-t: ok you can get your tongue out of your cheek now.....

lisaiscooking: frames are cool - I made coasters and they were not as cool...

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was quite a week. You have way more patience than I do!

CreativeMish said...

I'm impressed! What a great way to recycle. As usual, the food looks fabulous!

The Blonde Duck said...

What's it going to take to get you to spill the S. Texas rub?

Jeanne Estridge said...

What's a panna cotta? It looks a little like creme brulee?

deb said...

beautiful all of it. no one is perfect. i wish i could blame it all on pms. ok i will. sorry i over-reacted. period. no pun intended.

Anonymous said...

Love that bowl, and the flower and the dessert! Oh don't forget the hutch- great job there! Forget NYC and live in VT!

Christo Gonzales said...

angry brit: having a kid has taught me patience

creative: I never thought that it was recycling but I guess it is..

TBD: A south texas miracle.....

jeanne: it is like a milk or cream jello - it is 'set' by chilling not baking

deb: good excuse - I will mark those days on my calendar for future use

Starr: vermont would be fun for spring summer and fall.....

Jill said...

Looks great! I made my first roux yesterday...wasn't nearly as hard as i thought it would be.

Anonymous said...

OH, please share your recipe for Slab-o-ribs with a secret South Texas rub. My mouth's awaterin.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin