Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

memory lane



Remember the sardines well this is what you do. Procure some sardines of moderate length and girth. Leave them whole and uncut. Salt the heads liberally. Light squeeze of lime. Salty ice cubes on their faces and then they sit. Two days goes by and you begin to slice off tastes. When it tastes like you like it use it. I mixed this into eggs and sauces as a 'secret ingredient' it added a deeper depth. Its great on pizza. Its such a fresh and inexpensive way to add protien and big flavor. These four sardines were like 80 cents or so in season (now).





Spicy tuna is another thing entirely. Mild and flavored with the scallions, wasabi powder, sesame seed oil and soy sauce this fish is easy to make and easier to eat. As this sits it begins to turn opaque rapidly signaling a cooking process. It is so good.

13 comments:

buffalodick said...

You may be past more than most wish to go.. I know properly done, they are an amazing flavor addition, but only the the Med region might wish to go there...

daphne said...

oh lovely wasabi and tuna! nice jap touch.

Dana said...

I'll take the spicey tuna please!

buffalodick said...

Yesterday, I had lunch with a woman that spent 5 days in Japan, guests of a big steel mill. Raw fish everywhere!

tavolini said...

I've never had fresh sardines--do you refrigerate them or leave them on the counter with the ice cubes?

I always take a few tins with me when I go camping, though. No food reminds me of my grandpa more than sardines and crackers.

Unknown said...

I don't know why, but I have NEVER liked any type of fish, until I was pregnant with my last baby, Ariana. I started eating blackened Talipia and Salmon. But those are still all I can eat. I don't like shrimp, clams, lobster, nada.

But I'm sure you make these things taste devine!

pinknest said...

mmmm....love the spicy tuna! i also like sardines, but i don't think i could have little salty-headed sardines sitting around in my apartment! they'd freak me out. i'd eat them, yes.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Looks delish! Please move to TN!

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: if I snuck them into a pasta sauce you wouldnt even know it...

daphne: thanks, I have a HUGE bag of wasabi..I mean HUGE.

dana: coming right up

buff: did you eat raw fish at your meeting?

Tavolini: yup leave em right out on the counter replacing the cubes as needed...actually the ice isnt really necessary I just do it to satisfy my own hang ups...

Bina: tilapia and salmon are a great way to start

Pinknest: they are a little too "real" so I know what you mean

RLL: I have a friend who lives outside of Nashville and we are planning on visiting this summer

buffalodick said...

DogB- I use anchovie paste in all my pasta red sauce- must be very similar, depth not fishy!

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: these are at least half the fishy flavor of anchovie

Tanya Kristine said...

Mmmm...i do love tuna. raw, canned, white....

Christo Gonzales said...

tanyaK: lump, flake, chunk - me too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin