Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

carpaccio


N
o this isnt an opera or an Italian painting even though its named after a painter. Carpaccio has a mixed history, some claim it was invented at Harrys Bar in Venice and others claim it was invented in Milan at Savini Restaurant in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele.


According to Arrigo Cipriani, the present-day owner of Harry's Bar, Carpaccio was invented at Harry's Bar in Venice, where it was first served to the countess Amalia Nani Mocenigo in 1950 when she informed the bar's owner that her doctor had recommended she eat only raw meat. It consisted of thin slices of raw beef dressed with a mustard sauce.

The dish was named Carpaccio by Giuseppe Cipriani, the bar's former owner, in reference to the Venetian painter Vittore Carpaccio, because the colors of the dish reminded him of paintings by Carpaccio.

According to another story of the genesis of this famous dish, it was born at the Savini Restaurant in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan. A wealthy lady, who was an everyday customer, was indeed told by her doctor to eat only raw meat. Unfortunately, at the time, it was not socially acceptable that a lady of her status would order "raw meat" at the most elegant restaurant in the city. It was the waiter who suggested her to use a different name for it. Apparently a painting by Carpaccio was hanging on the wall at the Savini at the time, and the waiter suggested Carpaccio as the "code name" for the dish, so she would not be embarrassed when ordering it. (wikipedia) I dont care who invented it I am glad they did! I made my carpaccio with some thin slices of beef, romano cheese, watercress, lime juice, a lemony watercress mayonnaise, himalayan pink salt, fresh ground mixed pepper, white truffle oil and extra virgin olive oil.

26 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Is it ever socially acceptable for a woman to eat raw 'meat'? In my book, it is a talent. Sorry , you bring out the worst in me;)

Only you could make this look that good.

Velva said...

I can't say that I have ever eaten thin slices of raw meat. Donna is right, you make this look really good.

I just might be willing to eat this :-)

Nithya said...

This looks great ;) awesome decoration :)

Melody said...

Interesting stories. It is fun to hear in the words of Paul Harvey...The rrrrest of the story. Looks very tempting too.

Reeni said...

I love hearing the origins of food! You make it look so appetizing! I'm not one to eat raw meat but I'm with Velva - I just might be enticed to try this.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

wish I could jump through the screen and eat some of that. Your presentation is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you did your homework in researching on this one. It looks SO elegant! I'm inviting myself for this one!

Jenn said...

I've never had this before. Not sure if I'm willing to eat any type of raw meat just yet. But I it Interesting how this dish got started.

theUngourmet said...

If this was salmon, I'd be all over it!

I do think the presentation is quite fabulous!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks very pretty and delicious!

Just telling it like it is said...

I really find it very interesting when you talk about where the dish originated from...it has long roots...very interesting and looks delish

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

So, did you slice the beef by hand? Nicely done. All this time, I never knew about the painter Carpaccio. Great stories to eat by.

buffalodick said...

I love the stuff! Remember when I won in Vegas, and had Kobe beef Carpaccio? It was so tender, it was actually mushy!

Selba said...

That's really an art on the plate ;)

Jamie said...

Stunning Carpaccio! We fell in love with carpaccio while living in Milan, ordered it often in restaurants and made it often at home, usually à la milanese with olive oil, shavings of Parmesan and slivers of tiny raw artichokes. Yours is magnificent!

teresa said...

this might be the first time i've ever wanted to dive into a plate of raw meat, it looks wonderful. and i love the history!

vanillasugarblog said...

if this is sliced right and seasoned right it tastes amazing.
gorgeous photo Dog.

lisaiscooking said...

You paint a beautiful carpaccio. Lovely colors!

pigpigscorner said...

This is beautiful!

nora@ffr said...

yumm! love the stuff!

Angie's Recipes said...

The carpaccio looks very tempting....classic, picturesque platting.

Angie's Recipes

Stacey Snacks said...

That is one gorgeous plate of carpaccio. Nicer than any I have seen in a while.
Beautiful.

Hornsfan said...

Love the back-story and the carpaccio!

Unknown said...

This is truly my favorite appetizer anytime I go out to eat!!

Magic of Spice said...

Very lovely presentation...does look like a painting :) And watercress mayonnaise, a must try...

Unknown said...

have been working myself up for months to try this ever since I first heard of it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin