Pages

Monday, November 02, 2009

wildness


S
ince I was a kid I have enjoyed foraging, hunting, fishing and collecting wild edibles. I probably wrote about this a long time ago when my blog was but a fledgling and most of you had never even heard of blogs, you may not know this by how inexperienced I seem but my blog turns five in March of next year - thats a lot of useless info! This blog rambled along quite unobtrusively for quite some time before I found my 'voice' and that 'voice' was showing you what I do best and that is cook. I dabbled in the daily journal type thing, the rants and what not but it wasnt until I decided to start showing more of my way of cooking that I started to get comfortable with the blog. I am so damn comfortable now I blog in ripped jeans and holey shirts.



These wild mushrooms are Shaggy Manes and Blewits, the Shaggy Manes(the whitish ones that look like a closed parasol) are mild with a stringy kind of asparagus consistency while the Blewits (the lavender ones) are a strong and hearty little fungi with a firm texture and an almost spicy bite.



Grilled ham and brie with wild mushrooms, foraging made simple!

15 comments:

KennyT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KennyT said...

I can only identify a couple mushrooms, hahahaha, I admire ChezWhat!

teresa said...

i should not read blogs right before dinner when i'm starving because that sandwich looks so good it's almost painful! great mushroom tutorial!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Interesting! Where do you mushroom hunt?

Anonymous said...

I wish I loved mushrooms - love the smell when I cook them for my hubby, just can't stand the texture!

Looks like a great sammie though! :D

snugs said...

you must have scored a big hunk of brie..

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Wow, you're really a blogging veteran. Five years in March? Congrats. Love that you forage for mushrooms.

Christo Gonzales said...

kenny: I am still trying to sort through the books you sent me - I have an idea in mind

teresa: a grilled cheese kicked up

fresh: all over the place - you would be surprised

biz: nice that you cook them for him - I dry them and grind them up into things like a seasoning for those that dont like the texture

snugs: no bigger than usual!

linda: I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing to have been blogging so long

Just telling it like it is said...

oh how I love the wild things

Nutmeg Nanny said...

You make the best stuff with mushrooms! I know I have said this before on your blog but I just cannot get enough of morel mushrooms. My dad I used to hunt for them and when we found them I started salivating immediately:)

Marjie said...

Well, you know I don't like shrooms, but approaching 5 years is awesome!

Juliana said...

Mushrooms? I get very impressed with amount of species...some look scary as other look so cute :-)
Your sandwich sure looks yummie!

buffalodick said...

Sandwich sounds great!

Tanya Kristine said...

nice,. sandwich looks aWESOME. mushrooms look like scary warts.

Heather S-G said...

...as opposed to holy. So maybe I can start foraging over here and you can start foraging over there and we can meet somewhere in between.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin