Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

tonka toys


Tell me about a new ingredient and I flip. Tell me the ingredient is hard to get and I somersault uncontrollably. Thats how I have been since hearing about the elusive tonka bean (dipteryx odorata). These unusual beans have a distinctive aroma making the tonka bean a much sought after prize.



Naturally I couldnt just get a few I had to get a whole pound. My head is spinning with possibilities. I want to finally make some macarons, I can try and make a more creamy flan - its so perfect that I have these right before the holidays as I can give out a few as gifts - the list goes on and on and on.



"Because of its sweet smell and its use in love magick and money spells, tonka bean is usually thought to be a Venus herb, but some consider it to be Jupiter and say that carrying it builds courage. As a New World herb, tonka beans are not so often encountered in West European magick styles but instead crop up in New World magick like Hoodoo. For instance, tonka beans are used in mojo bags for drawing money, and 7 beans can be thrown into a creek or river to make a wish come true." (The rest can be found here) I cant wait to use my magical little beans and I have to tell you the aroma is addicting - I took one whiff and it lingers in such a pleasant way!

19 comments:

Justin Marx said...

Never heard of them ... looking forward to reading about your experiments. We just got in some candy cap mushrooms ... the whole office smells like maple. Can't wait to shoot them, so I can cook with them. Want some?

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow these look really neat! I'm sure whatever you make will turn out awesome:)

Marjie said...

Leave it to our friend Dog to find something we've never heard of, and taunt us with his promises to turn it into wonderful things!

Anette said...

How intriguing! Please send 5-6 over to Norway so I can have a smell? I'm waiting for the rest of the story about what you made with them!

Jenn said...

Interesting. This is a first that I've heard of it. They resemble almond in a way. at least to me they do. Can't wait to see what you come up with them.

KennyT said...

Can you eat the beans straight from the peel?

C.G. the Foodie said...

Neat! I look forward to reading about your uses!

David Baca Portfolio said...

Tonka Truck full of Tonka Beans will get you down the road-

vanillasugarblog said...

ice cream--totally make some ice cream with them

Stacey Snacks said...

Don't smoke them!

They looked like dates at first.....are they like vanilla?

tavolini said...

"its use in love magick and money spells"

Wow--another blogger, Tommiea Tuesday Update had some tonka scented candles and we all just kept thinking of tiny yellow trucks. This is definitely better.

tommie said...

Had to come visit after Lini of TavoLini told me about these beans.

I have some amazing smelling candles that I use in my home. I can only imagine how they smell right from the source!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Interesting, I'm unfamiliar with tonka beans but would be interested in what you do with them.

snugs said...

well don't just stop there, what do they smell like? Compare them to something damnit...

Diana H said...

Do you use them like vanilla beans? I'm curious.

♥peachkins♥ said...

This is very interesting..

Tanya Kristine said...

i want some! and what's a mojo bag?

Heather S-G said...

Cool! Where have I heard of these...you? Don't remember, but I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see your macarons...I am attempting them soon as well. I have know about Tonka beans but haven't had any to sample as of yet. I know they are generally used in icecream and such.

Please send them to me in the mail post haste!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin