Pages

Friday, November 06, 2009

if looks could kill


My thinking cap was a little too tight when I tried to put this together. I thought chestnuts in a flan/custard with pomegranates would be really good. So, I roasted the chestnuts, peeled them and then simmered them in the custard base until soft, once soft I hit them with the immersion blender until disintegrated poured them into little cups and baked them off until set. The one above I tried a 'brule' type thing and below I turned it out on to a plate.



If looks could kill these custards would masacre and one bite would seal the deal - gritty from the chestnuts, unusual as a custard and so doesnt go with pomegranate. Hey I guess I put on the wrong cap.



Lucky thing I got some turkey products from Shady Brook Farms so we were resurrected with this turkey BLT. Nothing compares to bacon but this bacon was/is flavorful and texturally 'bacon-like' - all in all a decent sandwich after tasting that indecent custard!

14 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

the first pic of the creme brulee looks good to me. was the bottom soggy of that one?

The Diva on a Diet said...

I agree, the custard does look good - I'm kind of surprised the pomegranate didn't work with it. Huh. Oh well, any kind of bacon makes everything better!

Jenn said...

Sorry it didn't work out. It does looks good. It was a great try. But you sure made up for it with that turkey BLT. So no harm done.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Funny - I made a similar experiment in the last few days that didn't work - a ricotta pudding with almond flour - too grainy. I even topped it with pomegranate seeds and juice. Just not blogworthy. But your bacon redeems the piece.

Angie's Recipes said...

The first picture looks actually pretty good.
At least the bacon sandwich does look very inviting.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I'm sorry it didn't turn out. That is no fun:( If it makes you feel better I thought that first picture was really beautiful. That sandwich looks great too. That is probably the best looking turkey bacon I have ever seen!

Marjie said...

I love the looks of that sandwich. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks something will be great, then it turns out to be "not so much"!

Christo Gonzales said...

All: it just did not come out good at all - the first pic is deceiving with the sugar crust - it was gritty and kind of weird tasting with the chestnuts - not bad but not good either...I quickly made a simple regular flan and let the kid eat these - he doesnt care - its sweet plus the torch on the sugar is fun!

Heather S-G said...

Oh well...the brulee looked killer, though! And the turkey bacon looks pretty damned good.

Reeni said...

I had lots of those moments in the past month! The turkey bacon looks yummy!

Angel said...

creme brulee AND a blt? wow...doesn't get much better than that Dog! sorry I keep missing you on FB!!!!

Angel said...

I'm there now if you're around....

Unknown said...

I love bacon. Enuff said.

Diana H said...

I think we all have our moments. I've been told never to make pumpkin lasagna ever again. I might though, I found a recipe and I've got pumpkins.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin