Pages

Thursday, December 25, 2008

valley of the jolly


H
o, ho ho...green giant. Go ahead and date yourself if you can remember this popular US commercial. I used to race in to watch it. A green giant in the middle of vegetables that I loved, awesome.



Its Christmas. The anticipation is worth the day, alone.



Never in a million years will you guess what this is. This is called Romeritos con Tortas de Camarón, and here is a recipe for you. Typically this is prepared and served like a casserole but I had to do it my way.



We wrapped bacon around everything, including chicken livers with garlic, cocktail franks and dried apricots.



We roasted a leg of goat that sat in a salty juniper bath over night.



Then the skin was drapped back over it then it was rubbed with a chile lime mixture and it was wrapped in banana leaf and foil and roasted for three hours.



I made a cranberry reduction with the pan drippings.



We kept the plate simple, buttermilk mashed potatoes and a couple of slices of meat.




Whoops I forgot about this triple cream cheese that was too creamy for words.



How could I not mention this rich and creamy peanut butter cheesecake with a crunchy pretzel crust.

18 comments:

Tanya Kristine said...

i'll take a side of buttermilk mashed potatoes please. and a side of doggy bloggy. :) merry christmas my new and finally getting used friend...(in a good way)

Jeanne Estridge said...

Merry Christmas -- visiting by way of Buf's place -- I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at the pictures of your food!

snugs said...

I hope you, banana and the young pup had a glorious day..it all looks wonderful as usual..I'm stuffed to the gils..

Marjie said...

Merry Christmas, Dog. In 1973, my parents moved into a house up the street from one with a big-ass Green Giant statue in front of it. WTF???? Turns out the dude was a salesman for that company. Weird. The school bus stop was at the Green Giant.

Stacey Snacks said...

Leg of goat and all that beautiful bacon.
What a feast. The goat is beautiful. I will take the apricots wrapped snugly in bacon, please.
Glad you had a nice holiday.
Merry Happy!
Stace

Barrie said...

Merry Christmas! And to think I just served stuff like turkey and dressing and asparagus...

Anette said...

That was some feast! The meat looked delicious! and you know how to make things look pretty yet rough, I like that! how did the einebær work for you?

Christo Gonzales said...

TK: tangy and creamy...merry christmas to you too my used new friend...

jeanne: welcome and merry christmas..

snugs: I hope you got everything you wanted for christmas!

marjie: that is totally wierd, I surprised it didnt attract aliens...

stace: all I need now is a little bread pudding....happy holidays to you and mister snacks....

barrie: and what is wrong with that?

anette: thanks, so you are saying I make an 'organized mess' is that it? hahahhah...happy holidays and the juniper (einebær) worked out great...it is my new secret ingredient!..plus it makes me want to drink gin....

The Blonde Duck said...

You had me at peanut butter cheesecake!

Christo Gonzales said...

The Blonde Duck: then that was a mighty tough sell...I would have had to dig into the archives if it wasnt for the cheesecake...happy holidays to you and 'the drake'

buffalodick said...

They have a giant statue(lit at night!) of the big green guy in Blue Earth Minn. We were in an accident, and were towed there at 2am one morning! Food looked great- I will BB-Q a goat(cabrito) some day!

Harmony said...

Merry (late) Christmas! Everything looks delicious...but I haven't seen anything you posted that didn't. Great photos!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...the commercial takes me back to the year 1962...I am eight years old...my mother is in the kitchen...she is wearing an apron...my father has come home from wrok at 5:00...dinner is at 5:30, which to this day is my idea of when dinner-time ought to be (not that it ever happens!)...

Angel said...

DAY-

UM!!!!!

I KNOW I gotta eat at your house if I ever get my butt to NYC!!!!

XOXOXOX

Kitt said...

Yowza, that's some feast!

Bacon makes everything better.

Chef E said...

Okay...I was with you, but growing up eating chicken livers all my life, I had to mentally block that one...they looked good enough to eat...

Maggie said...

Terrific feast! I love the chicken livers in bacon, they're one of my retro favorites.

Joy said...

I remember chicken livers in bacon, too, and haven't had them in a long time. I got weirded out thinking about liver and quit.

Your descriptions and photos of the food make me want it all, though.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin