Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

side show



We interrupt our regularly scheduled program to bring you a cheesecake. Banana had a birthday so I made her favorite cake.



This is not any old cheesecake this is a cheesecake with a difference. Besides the pretzel crust, besides the fresh lime and besides the luscious fresh blueberry sauce I put on top - this cheesecake has tofu in the mix.



Now before you non-tofu eaters out there get your skivvies in a bunch you need to realize that you wont even realize that its in there.



The tofu, firm in this case, made the creamy cheesecake a little more dense and a little less creamy which paired with the pretzels and the blueberries it was perfect with every bite.



We were invited out to eat at a Chinese restaurant that we had never heard of before (not too unususal since there are thousands of them) but this one had a twist. The sign outside said 'Xing Din' but the menu said 'Fuzhou' and everyone calls this place 'Fuzhou' despite the sign. Now Fuzhou - or Foo chow in English, is a red wine sauce (so I am told) that is their most popular method of cooking. I didnt take any pictures, there were fourteen of us celebrating two birthdays surrounding this massive lazy susan that kept getting filled up with dish after dish of unusual delights. It was all served family style so you had to grab what you could as the thing spun around. Jelly fish, salt and tofu whole fish, crab pancake, foo chow clams, you name it and even things you cant name.



I will show you bits of the menu though, gotta love frog......



but more importantly you've gotta love 'others'.

Still to come - cruise desserts!

31 comments:

tavolini said...

Groose Intestine with celery...delicious! I stayed and ate in Chinatown in Chicago all last week--food is TOTALLY different then your average neighborhood Chinese joint ;)

Happy Birthday Banana!!

Marjie said...

Happy Birthday, Banana. Enjoy your cheesecake no matter how it's made.

KennyT said...

LOL, I look forward to the photos, haha.

Oh, many HK bakeries add tofu in cheesecakes too, to make them lighter and healthier^^. Yours look stunning, like the idea of using pretzel as the crust.

Jenn said...

Happy Bday Banana!! Yummy cheesecake!! Tofu or no tofu. I'd love to have a slice of that with a heaping of the blueberry sauce.

Never had frog before. I hear it's pretty good stuff.

Christo Gonzales said...

tavolini: they serve the goose intestine in a variety of ways - must be a favorite!

marjie: thats the spirit - it actually has like a ricotta cake texture to it - its interesting and good...

kenny: no photos from the restaurant - it was hard enough keeping up with the dishes as it was

jenn: frog is pretty good stuff - light, flavorful and a hint of seafood.

Creative Classroom Core said...

That is one killer looking cheesecake! Wow!

Pooja said...

Birthday wishes to Banana! Wow that is an awesome cheesecake with tofu..Slurppp..can imagine the taste! What an unique menu! I'm intrigued!

The Diva on a Diet said...

OMG, cheesecake with lime, blueberries and a pretzel crust?! LOVE it!! And, I'm a-ok with the tofu addition ... I'll be the texture was fantastic. What great, celebratory cake. :)

Happy Birthday, Banana!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Ergh ... make that "I'll bet the texture was fantastic."

Angie's Recipes said...

Oh, I love tofu cheesecake...nice cool fridge cheesecake is even better...

Angie's Recipes

Christo Gonzales said...

finsmom: it weighed some pounds too...

pooja: very unique menu...

diva: I probably will use silken tofu next time but all in all it is good..
oh and about smiling on the previous post - thanks

angie: I think we will pop this in the freezer to cool it off quickly..

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Love the tofu twist to the cheesecake!
Did you get to taste anything from the "Other"? I would have gone for the 'Aromatic Duck Tongue-just to see how aromatic they can make it!!
What is Groose,btw(Goose)?

Lauren said...

yum on the pretzel crust!! I like tofu, I like tofu, but it sketches me out in desserts and drinks.

and lol at groose.

Zoe said...

I dont know about tofu in cheesecake, but ill take your word on it! It does look delicious!

Ken said...

Awesome looking cheese cake, and happy belated birthday to your lovely Banana.

For $12.95 I always expect my duck tongue to smell good. Don't you?

The Blonde Duck said...

Tofu cheesecake...interesting.

lisaiscooking said...

Gorgeous cheesecake. I want to try a pretzel crust. I've heard of how wonderful duck tongue is but haven't never had the chance to try it. Did you happen to order it?

Pavithra Elangovan said...

OH wow the cheese cake is looking so yummy...tofu and add the pretzels wow great idea....

Christo Gonzales said...

sweta: we didnt order anything the host had the entire event pre- arranged - so no duck tongue - that I was aware of.

LK: you wouldnt even know it was there..

zoe: it turns a dessert into food!

micky: exactly - I want some darn good smelling tongue at that price

TBD: it was pretty much same ol' same ol'

lisa: we are going back soon for more frog and some duck tongue

pavithra: thanks - it tastes great!

Just telling it like it is said...

shoot...that frog is expensive why in Ohio we catch our own frogs in the lawn and skin them...

Anonymous said...

Very innovative and very cool cheesecake.

The Duo Dishes said...

Tofu in cheesecake doesn't not strike fear into our hearts. It has a pretzel crust! That's enough to convince us to pull out the forks.

Reeni said...

Happy Birthday Banana! What a delicious cheesecake with those luscious blueberries over the top! I wouldn't mind the tofu one bit.

Heather S-G said...

Pretzel crust sounds awesome!! What a great birthday cake :)

Donna-FFW said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely one!

snugs said...

Happy Happy Birthday Banana!
(how come NONE of y'all smile in your pictures???)

Tangled Noodle said...

I would totally order off the "Other" menu - gotta love 'groose' anything! The cheesecake looks phenomenal and I for one have no problem with tofu.

Poorni Pillai said...

Mouthwatering combination of ingredients- I love the presence of some salt in desserts. Lovely :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Banana!

Your cheesecake sounds and looks amazing. Have you no end to your creativity?

theUngourmet said...

You had me at pretzel crust! Awesome cheesecake!

Duck Tongue??? That can't be very filling! :D

Happy Birthday Banana!

Angel said...

I'll have the goose intestine with sour cabbage please, with a side of pepto...thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin