Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Seeds

Everytime I eat an avocado, and that is weekly and during peak season sometimes daily, I plant the seed. I have 8 avocado plants right now and many seeds germinating. I have given away 4 plants recently and many more in the past. Avocado plants are so cool. They sprout up real tall and have the biggest most "new looking" leaves you could ever see - plus they make me feel tropical.
These are in the bathroom since this room gets the most light all day long.
If you look closely you will see a new one sprouting up. It takes a few months for the seeds to germinate. I have not calculated or measured or tracked how long but someone once said the germination time is relative to seed size. This is a view out one window of a sunflower.
And these are two other windows - one with squash and cucumber. I like vine plants since they crawl up and shade the window with green in the summer plus you get squash blossoms for fritatas. The other box is beans. I buy the bag of beans in the supermarket that are for mixed bean soup because you get this nice variety. Beans are cool because some climb some dont but they all have different colored flowers and they all produce green beans.

6 comments:

Angel said...

man Dog, you have quite the green thumb there. I used to have an avocado plant that I grew from a seed, but dang, those things take forever to germinate! I don't have that my chpatience anymore. But tell me this, will you get avocados from that plant? Cuz if you do, then I will surely grow one cuz I love 'em!

Angel said...

um, that was supposed to be "that much patience"....sheesh

Tanya Kristine said...

whoa...i can't even get the damn seed to sprout!

FHB said...

Cool. I LOVE guacamole. And I envy your green thumb. All I can grow these days is weeds.

Anonymous said...

Oh god that actually works? When I was younger my grandmother would always buy avocados when she came to visit and help me try to grow it. We'd stick toothpicks in it and then put it in a mason jar with water (I don't remember if the toothpicks were to hold it above the mason jar or not) and then put it under the kitchen sink. Nothing ever happened, but I didint' know it could take months. How do you do it?

Christo Gonzales said...

All: I shove the avocado pit point down into a pot with soil and then forget about it...months later it arrives.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin