Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Green Lips


I have taken this green thing too far! New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels prepared a la Moules et Frites, I cant help it its summer! My friends say I dont explain enough, this is for you.

Mussels (Moules)

  • 2-3lbs Mussels
  • 2-3 cups dry white wine
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1-2 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 5 tsp parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 scallion chopped rough
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper


  1. Mussels: Wash, scrub and debeard the mussels. Any mussels that are open give them a sharp tap if they remain open discard them with any that have broken shells.
  2. Place the white wine in a large saucepan with the mussels and bring it to the boil then reduce it to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 2-3 minutes until the mussel shells open, any that do not open discard. Remove the mussels from the pan and keep warm.
  3. Strain the wine and return it to the pan bring it to the simmer and whisk in the butter so that is well incorporated. Stir in three tablespoons of the parsley and a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Return the mussels to the pan and cook them for a minute until heated through.
  4. To Serve: Distribute the mussels with the cooking liquid among 4 bowls or deep plates and sprinkle over the remaining parsley and place a lemon wedge on the side of the plate. Serve with a side plate and bowl with water and slice of lemon.

Frites (french fries)

  • 2-3lbs floury potatoes (e.g. Idaho)
  • Oil for deep frying
  • salt
  1. Frites:Peel the potatoes and cut them into wedges 3-4in long and .25in wide and thick. Place the potatoes in a bowl of cold water and leave them to stand for 10-30 minutes or rinse them thoroughly in cold water. Remove the potatoes from the water and dry them thoroughly.
  2. Heat some oil in a deep fryer, wok or large saucepan to 250-325°F (the oil should half fill the container). When hot cook the potatoes in batches for 4-5 minutes until they are tender but not golden, drain the potatoes on some kitchen paper (It is important not to overcrowd as this will reduce the cooking temperature and will stop them from cooking evenly). Heat the oil to 325-350°F and cook the potatoes in batches for 1-2 minutes so that they are golden and crisp, when removed from the oil place them on kitchen paper to drain. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve. *To test the temperature of the oil use a thermometer or to test it has reached 350°F drop a cube of bread in it and the bread should float to the top and be golden.
  1. To Serve:Serve the frites on a side plate with a little frites sauce on the side (frites sauce is like a tartar sauce) if using or place them on the side of the plate with the mussels.

24 comments:

Joy said...

These are pretty and sound delicious. You are a cookin' fool! (intended as a compliment)

HAR said...

Did you take the photo of the mussel yourself? That is a dang good shot.

Christo Gonzales said...

joy: thanks and I guess I am

har: yeah...thanks

Kitt said...

Those mussel photos are great! I love me some mussels. Delish.

Anette said...

They look so beautiful, but they're a bit to fishy for my taste, or is it the texture? Love the fishyness, but I like my seafood a bit firm..

buffalodick said...

I love mussels, but nobody else in this wasteland I live in does...I love critters that live in the sea that aren't fish...

deb said...

Yummy for the tummy. I think I just saw this on the food channel somewhere. I'm planning on one that includes clams too. You just pushed me that much more. Very pretty pictures. I like the green theme. ;)

deb said...

that first photo is on the erotic side. it reminds me of somethin' familiar. hmmmm

Evalinn said...

Looks absolutely delicious! :-D

I'll be back blogging this week, at www.evalinnsworld.blogspot.com. I hope I'll see u soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh you don't need to explain!
This is probably the best dish on earth!! :-)

Christo Gonzales said...

Kitt: these are my new favorites (or old favorites that I just remembered)

anette: these are succulent does that count?

buff: poor you victimized by your environment

deb: I make this often and it is a little suggestive isnt it?

evalinn: hey evalinns back!

Zen: ...and you know!

Angel said...

fries-yes

mussels-no

CreativeMish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CreativeMish said...

I've never seen green lipped muscles. Its great so see that you're featuring good ole Idaho Spuds!

Mandi said...

Your photos are fantastic!!!! I had fried like that on the weekend and they came with an amazing mayo sauce that had chili and peppers in it - yum!!!

Christo Gonzales said...

beth: I bet if you'ld taste them you might like them

michelle: idaho spuds are great!

mandi: thanks a lot, they tasted great! That sauce sounds delicious.

Determined said...

Doggy, I love this blog!

daphne said...

hehe. Seafood....

See food... =)

Looks very yummy and delicious!

C. said...

Delicious. Absolutely perfect meal. * drool * I am moving in with you, just so you know.

pinknest said...

oh what fun!! and what a lovely shade of green.

tavolini said...

mmm...I'm with Buffalo on this, I love critters that live in the sea that aren't fish..and I like the fish pretty well, too!

I've never done homemade fries--is it messy?

Tanya Kristine said...

Mm..i. like pomme frittes. with mayo. i like lips too.

Anndi said...

MMMMMMM! Les frites! C'est si bon!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had the New Zealand variety for awhile, and they look great. And, frites, yes, please.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin