Pages

Sunday, July 06, 2008

big talker

Soy has been kicking my ass. Since I last posted about tofu and grandiose-edly stated all the foods I was going to make out of 'tofu' a lot has changed. The biggest factor here is the quality of my ho-made tofu. It sucks. Its grainy or gross or otherwise so worse than what people who hate tofu hate even more. I cant get the ratio down for a small quantity. All the recipes I have read are for larger portions and I am not 'bout to make 2 gallons of soy milk just to see if it coagulates right, so I have been trying to 'create' this tofu a liter at a time. These three are 'barely' passable if not at all.



I have a dense and gritty one that only the hardcore can enjoy.



I have a smooth and 'cheesy' one (which gives me an idea)



....and I have a way too silky one which is still useful for something.



The protein factor is omnipresent but the overall asthetic value is severly diminished while esthetically it remians pure, for me at least. Lets not forget that I can purchase all kinds of tofu, I have Chinatown and the Korean street and of course all the Japanese grocery stores, so GOOD tofu is easy to get, I just want to see if I can make it..........

19 comments:

deb said...

well kudos for attempting.

"I have a dense and gritty one that only the hardcore can enjoy."

sounds like my relationship! high mass per volume

Christo Gonzales said...

deb: mass vs. volume has always been an issue but consistency is what I look for.

Determined said...

I loove soy/ tofu. Especially with salmon and brocolli!

RW said...

I am glad that you like that stuff.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Homemade tofu...now that is an adventure in cooking!

Emily said...

Good luck with your quest in making the perfect tofu.

buffalodick said...

You are on, what I describe, as "A mission" now... If you could hit on a recipe for tofu people like me would enjoy, you wouldn't know where to hide all the money!

Odat said...

Better you than me!!! Good luck!
Peace

Tanya Kristine said...

thank god my premenopausal book suggest not eating soy. ever. that's okay in my book.

Real Live Lesbian said...

You are a brave man! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Just keep at it and you'll get it. I have no doubts about that!

C. said...

Of course you did, C., I would not expect anything else from you. BTW, is it me, or does the second batch look like, em....well, you know, a different KIND of protein. Just saying.

Christo Gonzales said...

solaris: well its easier to buy it...

roger: me too...

my s&s: its a total challenge

emiline: I have done easier things

buffalo: the tofu flan was good...

odat: leavin' me high and dry I see

tanya: what book is this? never heard of such - suchness

RLL: brave or too dumb to just go and spend a dollar

bina: and you know I will

claudia: it does in the photo but his stuff is the flan consistency, its a little dense....I guess your moods are 'swinging'

CreativeMish said...

At first I thought it was a roll of bread dough. I think its great that you're making your own.

urban vegan said...

You are die-hard. The idea of making my own is fascinating, but unlike you. I'd probably only try it once.

It was fascinating seeing the tofu made at my table at Morimoto...The texture somehow was absolutely perfect....

That softer tofu looks like it would be great soaked in extra virgin olive oil and used to make a caprese salad, with fresh basil and tomatoes.

Tanya Kristine said...

how the hell did you know that was a pajama top!?!

amazing.

Christo Gonzales said...

michelle: it is a chore though

UV: Yeah the softer one would make a great "cheese" that was my exact thinking...I have tried to find out Morimotos secret but I guess thats why its a secret

TK: DUH...it looks like a PJ top

Spin said...

I have had tofu just once. It was soft tofu I used for a salad dressing. I found it in my health magazine. Not bad. Good luck with yours!

tavolini said...

first off, I am impressed with your making homemade tofu--props!

Now for consistency...I don't know. I've always been a fan of freezing tofu, then using it. Seems to absorb the marinade better.

Keep us posted

Blog Widget by LinkWithin