Pages

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Meat Free

This is one of my favorite sandwiches, I make it with eggplant, zuchinni, any old squash and my most favorite zuchinni blossoms but today it is basic zuchinni parmesean. Slice the zuchinni how ever you want sometimes I crack out the mandolin and make them all paper perfect but I like the knife and today they are round. Basic egg and flour frying combo in some nice safflower(interesting flavor) or corn oil. Get them golden and drain.
I buy those rolls of kids paper from Ikea instead of paper towels and use that mostly because I hate to see paper towels get wasted on grease. So drained off and ready to go slice some good bread and drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper and grill. On the grilled seasoned side layer the zuchinni and some fresh mozerella and your favorite marinara and grill again until the cheese melts.Then consume.

This is goodness in a bun or a roll or between two pieces of sliced bread. It is all good as long as it looks good.

9 comments:

Angel said...

now THIS I can do!!! God, you are KILLING me here!!! I love zucchini, cooked anywhich way at all....yum,,,bread with olive oil...yum...I'm drooling all over myself..time to go get the paper towels.

Michelle said...

thank-you for the suggestions....I love veggie sandwiches...mmmmm, yummy!

MommaMonkey said...

mmmmmm, yum. Have any left-overs?

buffalodick said...

Zuchinni is a veggie I actually enjoy. I've never found a veggie that marries with a tomato base sauce better. A number of years ago, I took 1st in the Veggie category at the State of Mich BBQ cookoff with a "zuchinni boat". Half a small Z sliced longways,hollowed out like a dugout canoe cooked quickly on the grill,filled with red sauce,topped w/romano-parmesean blend.

pinknest said...

mmmm....fried.

so you have a mandolin? do you use it alot?

Christo Gonzales said...

I used it a lot when I first got it...but it is such a contaption and it is so damn sharp and dangerous that you have to be totally alert at all times...it isnt a super expensive one but it does have a variety of blades.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Sounds great, especially with the olive oil and grilled bread.

I do the zuchini "boat" thing. I stuff it with rice pilaf and cover it with mozzarella cheese and bake until the cheese melts. I'll have to try the sandwich.

Freebird said...

Mmmm.....I love anything on bread.

Eve said...

That looks great! I've been looking for further ways to spruce up zucchini...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin