Pages

Saturday, October 03, 2009

oh deer


W
hen Asian Food Grocer and foodbuzz made it possible for me to log on to their site and order up some goodies gratis I spent days deciding what I wanted since I have access to so much of this kind of stuff right here in sunny New York City, but after I decided and after it arrived I was more psyched than a bee at the botanical garden.



I didnt stop at making one thing or even one kind of thing I rolled up my sleeves and got busy. First thing was some panko crusted fried plantains similar to a banana pakora but with a twist. I mashed up some ripe plantains and mixed them with sifted flour to form a dough, this banana dough was formed into a disc and a piece of mozzarella was placed in the center and sealed in to form a ball. The entire fritter was coated in the panko and fried until golden.




These plantain treats are perfect with a squeeze of lime a sprinkle of vanilla sugar and a tamarind dipping sauce, sweet but not too sweet and oh so satisfying.




If you think I stopped there then you need to stop right here. I also picked up some nori and some black sesame seeds. And since my little guy lives for sushi and I live for him that answered that.



Seaweed wrapped and sesame seed coated spicy tuna with masago, looking like a leopard.



High contrast black and white with a little salmon roe.



Rolled and stuffed from both ends.



Spicy tuna on top of tasty rice with a spine of salmon roe.



Simple straight forward tuna rounded out our little sushi feast with a little nod to India featuring the fritters, so we have Japan and the Indo-Pakistan regions mildly covered, I am just warming up.



Stay tuned I will be exploring Asia a little further and it wont be no occident!

22 comments:

lk - healthy delicious said...

omh those banana fritters just gave me a heart attack. seriously. they look so awesome that it just flat out stopped beating.

Marjie said...

You could have taken that last picture in my back yard. Damn things kill everything!

Glad you got some fun new ingredients.

snugs said...

'bout time you rolled up your sleeves and got busy again! I would love some of that sushi right now..

Jenn said...

Those banana fritters look like an awesome appetizer.

But that sushi looks amazing! I'm been wanting to try my hand at creating sushi. I actually made some sushi rice for the first time this week just to serve up with some chicken. I think the next step is to learn how to roll it put correctly.

Christo Gonzales said...

LK: these fritters are goin gto be on heavy rotation for a while

marjie: damn deer!

snugs: if you cant beat em' join em'

jenn: its easier than you think - go for it!

Melody said...

Love the leopard looking sushi. You've been busy!

Angie's Recipes said...

Banana fritters, very crisp, I bet, with panko!
You have made some great-looking sushi.
Angie's Recipes

Anette said...

Those sushi's looks so beautiful! Lucky you having such an advanced child foodwise!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Went on a sushi making course yesterday.......I was astounded. The deliciousness and the freshness of the ingredients astounded me. Not to mention the supreme yumminess. I may hencesforth be like your young un...living for sushi!

buffalodick said...

Fire is lit, finally! Thank God...Nicely done!

Reeni said...

"And since my little guy lives for sushi and I live for him" is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard! AWWW. Those banana fritters rock!!

FOODalogue said...

Great spread. Funny last line!

Just telling it like it is said...

Nice presentation!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Fantastic! Especially, the leopard sushi!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I love the westernized version of the humble 'banana pakora'!!

Heather S-G said...

Okay, I am so totally craving sushi now! I haven't had any in about forever...long overdue. Great eats :D

Velva said...

Those banana fritters look amazing! I buy plantains all the time. This will be a great recipe idea! I think I am going to make this-

Are you sure that deer is not from my yard?

gaga said...

Oh my, everything looks scrumptious. I looks forward to more Asian goodies!

teresa said...

wow, absolutely beautiful, i'm stunned.

tavolini said...

neat-o! Beautiful presentation, as per usual.

Jason said...

Hmmmm... Sushi! Nicely done dude!

nora@ffr said...

sushi sound great!! also ye banana fritters :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin