Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

blah blah blah


Blah blah blues, I dont know if its the six more weeks of winter or what but I am in a rut. I havent posted in a while because I dont see the point but I did get some really stinky cheese from Norway, thanks Anette.



My son was off from school for a week for mid-winter break and I have to tell you it felt like a month. Ramen noodles and canned soups hardly take a pretty picture and if you believe that I have some swampland that is waiting for a check from you. Who doesnt like crab? Well the kid does and this is all I could pry from his fingers to snap off a photo. Crab ballerina.



We plowed through some chicken breasts with a POM glaze. I have so much POM I dont know what to do with it, I have made it into syrups and balsamics and granitas (thats like a sorbet) and I have even put a dab behind each ear. Remember I entered a POM contest well I have news - I didnt win, though you can click the link and check out my recipe.



Artichokes with butter are good but artichokes with a caper mayonnaise are even better.



I have been helping others lately and it feels mighty good in fact I think I might make 'generosity' one of my characteristics from here on out. StirIt 28 is a month-long blogger-originated fundraising effort to raise money for the earthquake victims in Haiti, thought up by Bren of Flanboyant Eats, Chrystal of The Duo Dishes , and Courtney of CocoCooks. All of the proceeds from this event, and I mean ALL (100%) of the proceeds, are going directly to our partner charities: Share Our Strength and Yele Haiti. What an amazing event to participate in and I am so glad I did.



The remains of amazing Lettuce Wraps (Brooklyn Forager)




Red Cooked Pork bun and cucumber salad (RedCook)


Lemongrass corn soup (BalanceFood) She also made vegetarian dumplings and did an amazing job organizing the whole thing - special thanks are in order here.



Vegetarian Spring Rolls (Chez What?) Thats me, by the way. I also made some with shrimp.



Enchiladas Rojas (Fresh, Local and Best)


Walnut Cookies (Bloggerlicious Athena) (see the edge of the cookies) and a last-minute Chocolate Banana Coconut Bread Pudding (Joanne Eats Well With Others) Joanne also made vegetarian and non vegetarian stuffed mushrooms.



Celebration Cupcakes (My Baking Therapy)




Banh Mi preparation (group effort) and several other things that were gone before a photo was taken. I met some amazing people and had a great time! All proceeds from this fundraiser will be donated to Share Our Strength and Yele Haiti at the end of the month. If you'd like to contribute, but just couldn't make it, donations will be accepted through February 28th at Flanboyant Eats.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! Your Spring Rolls kicked ass!

Jamie said...

Oh excellent! StirIt 28 is a great event - I've been getting the e-mails, but I am doing my share with H2Ope for Haiti through Blogger Aid and thanks to Jeanne of Cook Sister! All excellent work my fellow food bloggers; we're a hell of a group! And love crab - and your mayo looks fabulous! I serve my artichokes with Parmesan Mayo. Yum!

Dana said...

... and you've been quite generous in many other "anonymous" ways. Thank you!

The Duo Dishe§ said...

So glad you could come on board for NY. Seems like you guys had an awesome line-up. Send out more pics! Loved your theme!

vanillasugarblog said...

you seem pretty busy to me. i'm so fucking tired of winter....it has been way too long of one over here. and now I hear today is our last day of sun for a while as more storms are going thru the NE. cabin fever abounds! those spring rolls, wow. amazing Dog.

buffalodick said...

Nice post! Feeding a kid has some challenges...

Anette said...

We are drowning in snow over here, and it's freezing! I'm happy to see more of the sun every day(when it's a sunny day that is, mostly we are having blizzards these days), because I think we deserve spring soon! Glad you liked the stinky cheese!

Melody said...

What a beautiful spread. Artichokes are my fav!

Jenn said...

Glad Stir It 28 NY went well. Looks like you guys had a good selection of good eats there. Awesome job!!

George Gaston said...

My... as much as I want Spring to come ~ and I am feeling the Monday Blues (see my post today) ~ I like what you have been doing with your winter indoor time. Your Spring Rolls look fabulous and those celebration cupcakes are spectacular...

I'll take a double order of Spring Rolls and a "baker's dozen" of the cupcake... sometime over the next six weeks!

Christina said...

Yes, it's definitely a loooong winter, I know your feeling!

At least you have a bunch of beautiful pictures to share w/ us!

I just got another case of 8 POMs to experiment w/. Don't know what I'll do w/ this one yet.

Michelle Ann said...

Love the pictures...they always make me hungry. And those cupcakes are gorgeous.

teresa said...

winter blues indeed, is it over yet?

what a great event, and it looks like there was no shortage of good food!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my daughter ended up having a double winter break, with over a week of snow days. Definitely seemed like forever.

Bren said...

Thanks SO much for your support and involvement in STIR IT 28, not just by cooking some seriously delicious looking food, but by spreading the word and letting people know that it's a month-long effort!

Fresh Local and Best said...

It was great to meet you at the event!

chow and chatter said...

oh what a great event and your a good Dad

tavolini said...

There are so many things to comment on in that post--but I think you had me at the caper mayonnaise. Are artichokes in season right now?

daphne said...

yummy spread!! what a great event!!

Vickie said...

Love the beautiful spring rolls and the caper mayo idea . . . it's always nice to have a new artichoke idea. What a nice thing to be a part of - a very decent way to chase away the "Februaries." (I am SO over winter in Montana)

Marjie said...

I understand the midwinter blahs. We had sunshine over the weekend, and won't see it again until at least Sunday. Hibernation time!

Joanne said...

I like the POM behind your ears idea. Ready-made cologne/perfume. And it tastes good too.

Caper mayonnaise? Now that is where it's at.

Angie's Recipes said...

wow dude..the spring rolls rock!

pigpigscorner said...

Good spread of food! the spring rolls look amazing!

Juliana said...

Wow, everything looks so yummie...thanks for the links :-)

Velva said...

I can only imagine what it feels like to get together with your fellow foodie friends to help out such a great cause. God, I love NYC :-)

Awesome post!

La Bella Cooks said...

Funny how those school breaks seem to last forever, lol. I love the ballerina crab. I used to order those big plates of crab legs and eat all of it and just the thought of it has me craving some now.

theUngourmet said...

You guys did an awesome job with this! Great food for such a good cause. My daughter is crazy for crab! :)

Anonymous said...

What do you mean blah, blah, blah? That was a tremendously productive post! Those spring rolls look scrumptious BTW. This does seem like a very long Feb. though- I do agree with that. And a lovely fundraising effort too!

Anonymous said...

You are totally killing me. No food, everything in boxes and those meals are making me so hungry. Shame on you!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Wow do those ever look terrific. Love all the photos. You are lucky... My son in his college days wouldn't even touch ramon noodles

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I laughed out loud when you mentioned the POM behind your ears. How funny.

Doesn't look like you've got too bad a case of the blah after seeing that lovely array of food for the benefit of Haiti. We had such wonderful Haitian friends when we lived in the islands and they are such lovely people. Christine's Enchaliadas are calling my name.

Stay warm my friend. Spring is one the way.
Sam

Blog Widget by LinkWithin